Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 **Mod Warning post 1** 27th Jan Forward

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 262 ✭✭TomasMacR

Gemma has gone straight after Ray today, lol. She is protesting outside RTE today and has a little poster of D'Arcy.

"A D-list presenter at best" :-)

I agree with all of what she says about D’Arcy being a talentless overpaid hypocrite but her rant wasn’t very articulate. I don’t really understand what her point was other than to insult D’Arcy which is of course very valid, if that’s all that was to it then fair enough but I didn’t really get the rest of there was more to it.

What she says is 100% valid. Charities to support basic healthcare, said charities supported by overpaid media personalities part of whose salaries could fund some basic ordinary machinery/maintenance in healthcare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

What she says is 100% valid. Charities to support basic healthcare, said charities supported by overpaid media personalities part of whose salaries could fund some basic ordinary machinery/maintenance in healthcare.

Yeah, and it's similar to last week when Joe Duffy was on sympathizing with callers about how "exorbitant" the IMRO charges were for a small business, completely avoiding the fact that even the poorest in the country have to pay a TV License which funds his 400K a year wages. It really annoys me that he is never picked up on this.

Let's be frank, everybody outside of RTE is saying the same about Tubridy, Finucane and Duffy's wages being ridiculous, but you will never actually hear about it on RTE even though Joe is always adamant that he is not above criticism. Every time there is a story about RTE wages or something negative, he absents himself and then arrives back with a tan and a completely innocuous topic

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Gemma has gone straight after Ray today, lol. She is protesting outside RTE today and has a little poster of D'Arcy.

"A D-list presenter at best" :-)
    hard to disagree with any of that

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Sorry, Gemma o'doherty. The protest is up on youtube, channel under her name.

I'd say ray was jogging past, and let out a big sigh when he saw it. Great to see somebody finally calling these guys on their hypocrisy. Do you remember when Ray used to work with Today FM and he gave out about the ridiculous wages in RTE?

He was like a dog with a bone, every once in a while he'd fire a scud across their bow. Didn't take him long to bury that bone .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Dr_serious2

I'd buy her a drink.

Hard to argue with anything she said there, Ray is paid far far too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭davef1000

Anyone agreeing with Gemma O’Doherty about anything at all is on thin ice. She’s got some pretty daft ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

Regardless of what you think about it, if it were you being offered that amount of money to host a radio show, you'd jump at the opportunity.
    So.. what is the answer... draw up a list of acceptable wage rates for various jobs ?
    What is a Brain Surgeon worth ? or a Plumber ? or the guy with 40 years in the trade who repairs your car ? Is it really worth paying over a 100 a ticket to see a few pensioners belt out a few hits they wrote half a century ago ?
    If Ray was on 80k a year would it be still too much, or should he be on a daily rate of say €35 an hour per show ?
    Don't get me wrong, I've no time for the guy, but 'someone' decided he was worth that kind of money.

davef1000 wrote: »
    Anyone agreeing with Gemma O’Doherty about anything at all is on thin ice. She’s got some pretty daft ideas.

Just because someone has some daft ideas doesn't mean they're not right about some things. She is absolutely right about Darcy and its about time someone said it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 262 ✭✭TomasMacR

So no overpaid media personality should give any support or plug any underfunded charity unless they are prepared to donate a very high proportion of their salary? That's just daft.

This is in no way defending D'arcy by the way, I just don't think this is a very sensible protest to make.

She should have just stuck with the basic and popular rhetoric of D'arcy being an overpaid, useless and talentless hypocrite and pretty much just an all round arseh*le. I'm pretty sure she would've gotten enough support with that much.

• Advertisement

TomasMacR wrote: »
    So no overpaid media personality should give any support or plug any underfunded charity unless they are prepared to donate a very high proportion of their salary? That's just daft.

This is in no way defending D'arcy by the way, I just don't think this is a very sensible protest to make.

She should have just stuck with the basic and popular rhetoric of D'arcy being an overpaid, useless and talentless hypocrite and pretty much just an all round arseh*le. I'm pretty sure she would've gotten enough support with that much.

Remember Darcy tried to make Majella O'Donnell feel bad for spending money on her house when there are homeless people out there? Whats good for the goose...

swarlb wrote: »
    Regardless of what you think about it, if it were you being offered that amount of money to host a radio show, you'd jump at the opportunity.
    So.. what is the answer... draw up a list of acceptable wage rates for various jobs ?
    What is a Brain Surgeon worth ? or a Plumber ? or the guy with 40 years in the trade who repairs your car ? Is it really worth paying over a 100 a ticket to see a few pensioners belt out a few hits they wrote half a century ago ?
    If Ray was on 80k a year would it be still too much, or should he be on a daily rate of say €35 an hour per show ?
    Don't get me wrong, I've no time for the guy, but 'someone' decided he was worth that kind of money.

I think the public sector broadcasting should have a 200,000 pay cap. If Ray can get more money elsewhere so be it, gives a new young DJ the chance, I'm sure there are plenty of people who can do what he does. (Moan, pontificate, treat nuacht with disrespect and conduct boring interviews)

Remember Darcy tried to make Majella O'Donnell feel bad for spending money on her house when there are homeless people out there? Whats good for the goose...

I was just saying this to someone today. Remember that interview, there was a big story in the media about the homeless crisis and d'Arcy thought it was appropriate for her to build a big house when some people had no house. She bit back fairly hard all the same. :pac:

Interviewing the National winning jockey today. Maybe the National winning jockey should ask Ray why he has been boycotting Cheltenham on the radio show?

Ha, yeah, he has been very supportive of the racing. Ray will go along to the racing alright, and he'll picket it in the same way that Gemma O'Doherty picketed him at the weekend.

I was just saying this to someone today. Remember that interview, there was a big story in the media about the homeless crisis and d'Arcy thought it was appropriate for her to build a big house when some people had no house. She bit back fairly hard all the same. :pac:

I'm sure he was on a crazy-high salary on Today FM before advertising revenue fell off a cliff, but I'd like to see him try for €200k today - he'd be lucky to get that, and would have no chance of achieving the kinds of audience figures that tune-in to Radio 1 by autopilot.

I know this has been done to death, but it never ceases to appear ridiculous that RTÉ is paying salaries way above and beyond what their competitors can afford. And we're not talking an extra 10%, here or there, to give them a market advantage. The salary figures must be twice the going-rate in some cases - and triple or quadruple the going-rate in the case of newsreaders and broadcast personnel.

It makes *no sense*.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

The Montrose clique look after themselves.

Did anybody hear how awkward D'Arcy sounded when the jockey lad said "thanks for covering and supporting racing, Ray.... I know you're a Kildare man and it's great to get the support". And then he suggested that D'Arcy come racing with and that it was a great to have an oul bet. D'Arcy shut it down, before somebody pointed out that Ray is no supporter of horse racing, he basically boycotted it the first year he was in RTE. And covers it in the most begrudging, minimalist way now. I'm still half wondering was the jockey taking the p1ss out of him by calling him a great supporter of horse racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Did anybody hear how awkward D'Arcy sounded when the jockey lad said "thanks for covering and supporting racing, Ray.... I know you're a Kildare man and it's great to get the support". And then he suggested that D'Arcy come racing with and that it was a great to have an oul bet. D'Arcy shut it down, before somebody pointed out that Ray is no supporter of horse racing, he basically boycotted it the first year he was in RTE. And covers it in the most begrudging, minimalist way now. I'm still half wondering was the jockey taking the p1ss out of him by calling him a great supporter of horse racing.

Pretty sure Davy Russell was being sincere all the way though that interview. Really came across as a deep thinking and thoughtful person. I had to pull in and laugh at the moment you highlighted above.

Pretty sure Davy Russell was being sincere all the way though that interview.

Yeah I think he was actually being genuine as well. But I'm sort of surprised that Ray's boycott and anti racing/gambling is not well known by everybody in the industry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,433 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Yeah I think he was actually being genuine as well. But I'm sort of surprised that Ray's boycott and anti racing/gambling is not well known by everybody in the industry.

Ray is anti-everything though, except porridge and running.

Contact Marion Finucane, Ray, she only works two days a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Contact Marion Finucane, Ray, she only works two days a week.

By 2 days you mean less than 2 half days.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

If his services were really in demand he would need to work six days not four

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Mark my words. He'll have Davy Russell, Gordon Elliot and the stable girls on the wireless before the week is over.

To quote my favourite uncle, "Wasn't I fuckin right?"

I had a listen back. . When Davy said, "You acknowledge the sport and your show is so important... Then "Ah we used to go to the races as a family years ago cos we're from Kildare " or something like that.
    THe thing is , when Davy and co are lining up for a race at C'ham, the last thing on their minds is the Ray Darcy show.. They just know that the race is being broadcast live at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,382 ✭✭✭goochy

Marion may only work x2 days but shes in a different league to Farcy

"I have my weekends back" Ray announces in triumph. Well done Ray, it's some achievement to have your Saturday night show cancelled early. I mean even Ryan Tubridy hasn't managed to have his season shortened, and he's bloody awful.

"I have my weekends back" Ray announces in triumph. Well done Ray, it's some achievement to have your Saturday night show cancelled. I mean even Ryan Tubridy hasn't managed that.

I'm not listening to him ,but only a fookin clown would rejoice at being sacked.

Ray might find he has his whole week back if he’s not careful. Of course he would put it that he “wants to be a stay-at-home father”.

• Advertisement

Ray might find he has his whole week back if he’s not careful. Of course he would put it that he “wants to be a stay-at-home father”.

If he goes does that mean janey would go too....and willy

Advertisement