Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 **Mod Warning post 1** 27th Jan Forward

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

1/2 million fot this vanilla shíťé.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

was less than 10 minutes for battered Irish men

see how long the gay segment gets

About ten seconds for me.

That voice/accent would shatter bulletproof glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

Israel Falau is a "stupid man" according to Ray. He wasn't as quick to label Muslim teacher Ali Selim as "stupid" when he was in studio saying similar things about gays. You either agree with all people having free speech and the freedom to believe what their religion tells them, or none. So cowardly of Ray to only castigate the one that it is popular to hate, but that's is the core of what Ray D'Arcy is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,401 ✭✭✭goochy

surprised he said anything bad about a muslim - thought it was only catholics he had distain for - it was stupid of Ray to use that word - if he had of said it was hurtful or something else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Your man is on the other side of the world. He'd be a lot nicer if he had him in studio.

Drink on the news... something for Ray to start with...

Sabrina? Is he after getting a new beard?

yuke - cant stand Jennifer - would say shes a friend of jennys - would love it if she went on Ivan Yates and see how she gets on .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Of course Ray had to bring Jennifer O'Connell in to have a right aul bashing of men

• Advertisement

no bother woman - how do these women get husbands ??

goochy wrote: »
    no bother woman - how do these women get husbands ??

I'd say these husbands have to leave their balls at the front door every evening

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

Bit of a clanger today from the ' Man who got Honours Maths, you know '. He mention Pronce Charles being here, and how much he said he like IRELAND. He said he had been in 15 counties and was looking forward to visiting the other 17.
    So, our favourite radio mathematicians decided that the prince had of course visited the 6 counties in NI, meaning he had visited 10 in the south ( 6+10=15? ) and therefore that meant he had 22 left to visit (22+16=38 counties in Ireland?)
    Im wondering are these extra six counties in the province of Neverland where all the Ray D'Arcy show fans live?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 81 ✭✭Crusty Jocks

Bit of a clanger today from the ' Man who got Honours Maths, you know '. He mention Pronce Charles being here, and how much he said he like IRELAND. He said he had been in 15 counties and was looking forward to visiting the other 17.
    So, our favourite radio mathematicians decided that the prince had of course visited the 6 counties in NI, meaning he had visited 10 in the south ( 6+10=15? ) and therefore that meant he had 22 left to visit (22+16=38 counties in Ireland?)
    Im wondering are these extra six counties in the province of Neverland where all the Ray D'Arcy show fans live?

Jaysus pal. Im guessing the general premise is that darcy is a dumbass d*ckhead which I am full agreement with but I’m struggling myself with this county calculation conundrum :confused:

He hasn't been to Kilburn yet.

pity the guy teaching Ray how to swim - surprised he didnt ask for a woman to teach him - one of his own

Mod: That kind of sexism isn't welcome here, read the charter

With the way his listenership figures are going, he better get used to treading water very soon.

He asks the fella how much he got personally from winning the competition and when the fella eventually answers the question Ray says it is a personal question and he didn't have to answer it. Well Ray why ask him then?

pity the guy teaching Ray how to swim - surprised he didnt ask for a woman to teach him - one of his own

Good luck getting that past Jenny.

Ray telling american guy how to pronounce ' Maureen ' - mister perfect himself - i think not

• Advertisement

Ray telling american guy how to pronounce ' Maureen ' - mister perfect himself - i think not

Can you imagine Duffy trying to pronounce it :)

Listener phones in to offer guest Fiona Looney a first time experience on their Frisian horses. Ray says “ Frisian horses? Thought they were cows”. Well Ray, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friesian_horse
    There are Frisian cows, Frisian horses, Frisian people, Frisian dog breeds (Stabyhund an example), Frisian language which is literally a sister language to English (German and Dutch being “cousin” languages), the gorgeous Frisian Islands, and the East Frisian Tea Ceremony, among things coming from the Friesland region of Europe.

They've got 36000 people speeding. So a big win for the guards looking to improve road safety, right? Well, there's a sign on the N7, where they have brought the traffic to a complete stop for almost a FULL yeah at this stage (in spite of promises it would be finished by April). This sign says that they have caught 37,200 people speeding. So well done to the guards, who in spite of the change of leadership, have maintained their ability to gerrymander the figures to suit themselves.

Cant link the indo article. Had a giggle reading this crap.

It's been an interesting few months for Ray D'Arcy.
    While his radio programme has soared in the year-on-year ratings, there have been various reports his Saturday night chat show will not be returning later this year.

Then there is his alleged rivalry with Tommy Tiernan, whose own show has been earning warm reviews in the slot occupied until recently by D'Arcy.

Both of those stories are "contrivances", D'Arcy says.

"The (TV) show is coming back for another year in the autumn. We finished up well this year, the ratings were good. We have been knocking it out of the park. Our share was very good."

There is no rivalry with Tiernan, he says. "I completely wish him well. I know how this business works. When you've a new season you get promo-ed to hell and you get a lot of attention. Tommy is a national institution and he can sell out 100 gigs in Vicar Street - he is a completely different being to me as a broadcaster. If he is a big hit, we were a big hit too."

Although other stalwarts of the Saturday night slot, including Ryan Tubridy and Pat Kenny, have gone on to host The Late Late Show, D'Arcy says this is not something he wants for himself: "No I wouldn't want that. I think there has been a gentle but seismic change in television viewing. The time when you had a million people sat in on a Friday night is gone. People are watching Netflix now."

He finds the annual parlour game of tutting over presenter's salaries a little uncomfortable. "No more than anyone I'd prefer that people didn't know what I was earning. No more than anyone I find that a bit uncomfortable and embarrassing. But at the same time, we work for a State broadcaster and people pay their licence fee, so they're entitled to know."

The veteran broadcaster, who earns €400,000, started in radio and TV three decades ago, moving from RTE, where he made his name presenting The Den, to Today FM, and back again.

Despite his longevity in the business, he admits he feels insecure. "I've been on a contract since I was 23, so it's part of my life. It doesn't suit my personality. I'm a born worrier, I used to get physically sick when I was a kid before Christmas in case Santa didn't come. But somehow I make it work.

"I'm the king of self-doubt and that permeates through every part of my life. It's part of who I am, it's a constant."

One of D'Arcy's weapons in managing anxiety is running, he says. "I run five or six times a week. I should be able to articulate what is so special but I can just say that the world looks better after a run."

As part of his radio programme, Ray will embark on a 'Run With Ray' campaign, in which he encourages communities to get active and joins runners on the starting line at various locations. Run with Ray runs for five days from June 10. For more details, tune into The Ray D'Arcy Show on RTE Radio 1, weekdays from 3pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭mountain

Cant link the indo article. Had a giggle reading this crap.

It's been an interesting few months for Ray D'Arcy.
    While his radio programme has soared in the year-on-year ratings, there have been various reports his Saturday night chat show will not be returning later this year.

Then there is his alleged rivalry with Tommy Tiernan, whose own show has been earning warm reviews in the slot occupied until recently by D'Arcy.

Both of those stories are "contrivances", D'Arcy says.

"The (TV) show is coming back for another year in the autumn. We finished up well this year, the ratings were good. We have been knocking it out of the park. Our share was very good."

There is no rivalry with Tiernan, he says. "I completely wish him well. I know how this business works. When you've a new season you get promo-ed to hell and you get a lot of attention. Tommy is a national institution and he can sell out 100 gigs in Vicar Street - he is a completely different being to me as a broadcaster. If he is a big hit, we were a big hit too."

Although other stalwarts of the Saturday night slot, including Ryan Tubridy and Pat Kenny, have gone on to host The Late Late Show, D'Arcy says this is not something he wants for himself: "No I wouldn't want that. I think there has been a gentle but seismic change in television viewing. The time when you had a million people sat in on a Friday night is gone. People are watching Netflix now."

He finds the annual parlour game of tutting over presenter's salaries a little uncomfortable. "No more than anyone I'd prefer that people didn't know what I was earning. No more than anyone I find that a bit uncomfortable and embarrassing. But at the same time, we work for a State broadcaster and people pay their licence fee, so they're entitled to know."

The veteran broadcaster, who earns €400,000, started in radio and TV three decades ago, moving from RTE, where he made his name presenting The Den, to Today FM, and back again.

Despite his longevity in the business, he admits he feels insecure. "I've been on a contract since I was 23, so it's part of my life. It doesn't suit my personality. I'm a born worrier, I used to get physically sick when I was a kid before Christmas in case Santa didn't come. But somehow I make it work.

"I'm the king of self-doubt and that permeates through every part of my life. It's part of who I am, it's a constant."

One of D'Arcy's weapons in managing anxiety is running, he says. "I run five or six times a week. I should be able to articulate what is so special but I can just say that the world looks better after a run."

As part of his radio programme, Ray will embark on a 'Run With Ray' campaign, in which he encourages communities to get active and joins runners on the starting line at various locations. Run with Ray runs for five days from June 10. For more details, tune into The Ray D'Arcy Show on RTE Radio 1, weekdays from 3pm.

None so blind as those who will not see.

Ray believes his own tripe

It's amazing to me that Ray D'Arcy seems to think his self-doubt is unjustified.

He's easily the least competent of all Radio 1 broadcasters, and probably the least competent broadcaster on that station for many years.

It's not all in your head, Ray.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭robo

On the salary aspects of his interview - of course no one wants others to know what they earn. But I'm wondering did he ever berate RTE whilst in TodayFM for the enormous salaries they paid down the years, like it would be a bit 2 faced to say now that he doesn't want people to know his but gave out about the amounts that Kenny, Finucane etc were on in the early noughties

I know this is radio - but Tiernan's show on a Saturday night is much better than Darcys! Different level - no one on top sell their products, questions off the cuff cos no cue cards etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Endorphins, Ray.

The only thing that Ray is knocking out of the park is any semblance of an entertaining show. I know that Ray always complains about how he has to work Saturday nights, but one massive advantage of being in RTE on Saturday night is that he doesn't have to be on the couch at home watching how his show. Particularly the part where they get the family at home to go around the house looking for objects. Honestly I remember one week when they asked the family to search for a torch, a hat, and a pair of inflatables shoes, and when the camera panned back to the family they were try to pull a set of razor blades out of their sons hand.
    There is no rivalry with Tiernan, he says. "Tommy is a national institution and he can sell out 100 gigs in Vicar Street - he is a completely different being to me as a broadcaster. <"

Isn't Ray meant to put in there what HIS actual plus points are? Could he not have said something like "Tommy can sell out vicar street, but I can inform hundreds of thousands of people about the dangers of not having a donor card every f**king day of my life"

• Advertisement

Blame it on someone else ya spoofer

Advertisement