Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 **Mod Warning post 1** 27th Jan Forward

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Channel hopping yesterday:

A woman crying. I didn't wait long enough to find out why.

The smell of bed linen in the hotpress. Gone

Summer camp for kids on the spectrum. Ditto.

Turned over again for the news at 4.30 and we had Claudia Carroll (Fair City) plugging her latest book. Apparently the book has a great name ie. "The Women of somewhere or other" I could be wrong but I think it was because "Women" was in the title is what made it so great.

The contents of womens handbags. I'm out.

sligojoek wrote: »
    Channel hopping yesterday:

A woman crying. I didn't wait long enough to find out why.

The smell of bed linen in the hotpress. Gone

Summer camp for kids on the spectrum. Ditto.

Turned over again for the news at 4.30 and we had Claudia Carroll (Fair City) plugging her latest book. Apparently the book has a great name ie. "The Women of somewhere or other" I could be wrong but I think it was because "Women" was in the title is what made it so great.
    The Women of Primrose Square. She was on with Jonathan Healy the other day. I don't know if this is maybe too harsh, but does anyone find her tone a little... sickly sweet? Insincere? About as genuine as a three euro coin

Or maybe I'm just a cynic

• Registered Users Posts: 5,216 ✭✭✭bobbyss

I think it was the contents at the bottom of handbags to be precise.

Imagine that!

A grown woman talking about stuff like that and a maaaaaaaawm as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Kathryn mentioned that Brenda was in for Ray on Monday-He’s been off 3 straight weeks and I think that he was off for 2 weeks in June. The RTE holidays are a bit mad!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,411 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

honeybear wrote: »
    Kathryn mentioned that Brenda was in for Ray on Monday-He’s been off 3 straight weeks and I think that he was off for 2 weeks in June. The RTE holidays are a bit mad!

Teachers hours Honey, how many times do I have to say it.

Anyway as far as I am concerned. That slot is dead as a dodo.

How could anyone listen to Donoghue for 90 mins?

Someone let slip on-air the other day that Kathryn Thomas is getting married on Sunday, although it wasn't much of a secret anyway, those gossip rags have been saying for ages the wedding will be in August.

I have a lot of sisters don't @me

• Registered Users Posts: 5,216 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Someone let slip on-air the other day that Kathryn Thomas is getting married on Sunday, although it wasn't much of a secret anyway, those gossip rags have been saying for ages the wedding will be in August.

Thought she was married already. No doubt she will be posting pictures all over the place. God help us.

bobbyss wrote: »
    Thought she was married already. No doubt she will be posting pictures all over the place. God help us.
    Sure she'll be away honeymooning in Carlow, if the ads are a fair and reasonable description of that majestic county.

I prefer Kathryn to Ray.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Lads I know that ray isn't there this week and I'm just wondering how Kathryn Thomas is on the whole nuact at 4pm sweepstakes ? Is it remotely closer than ray is ?

To be fair, she is more or less bang on with the Nuacht at 4 each day. I`ve been listening but tuned out to the constant baby / weddings / feeding stuff that seems to go and on. Don`t mention the shouty presentations when she gets excited. It would have been interesing to try Baz Ashmawy in this role for a couple of weeks.

Anyway anything is welcome to replace Darcy..................

• Registered Users Posts: 4,779 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Are you complaining?

Comhra wrote: »
    Are you complaining?

If the lad is a taxpayer, he should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

Comhra wrote: »
    Are you complaining?

It really is ridiculous. The conditions that he is on are just so outweigh the talent he brings to the job. Frustrating to see RTE p1ssing away money on him like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,779 ✭✭✭Comhrá

My comment was taken in a different way than I meant.

It was meant to be a tongue-in-cheek remark about not having to listen to him for those weeks he's away, rather than the merits or otherwise about his conditions.

I completely agree, it's ridiculous, the conditions & amount he's paid for what he brings to the airwaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,965 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

They did that on Today FM about 15 years ago I'd say.

It was before Ray started going with Janny anyway. I remember that cos they emptied out Janny's bag and they were shocked by what they found in it. After days of intrigue it emerged it was lube.

Think they started going out soon after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

BPKS wrote: »
    They did that on Today FM about 15 years ago I'd say.

It was before Ray started going with Janny anyway. I remember that cos they emptied out Janny's bag and they were shocked by what they found in it. After days of intrigue it emerged it was lube.

Think they started going out soon after that.

Almost spit coffee all over my keyboard! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Donoghue . Where did farcy dig this skeleton;) up from ?

She was going to rte.!!!. Thought she said she was going to work?

"I'm really looking forward to [today's programme]"

I think you're the only one, Brenda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Farcy laughing all the way to the bank, all those unscheduled Saturdays off when the chat show was pulled early and week after week off work over the summer. Must be approaching Duffy holiday levels at this stage.

This must be the 4th week in a row that he's off. When they say he's getting 500,000 a year it's more like 9 months.

amlinopta wrote: »
    Farcy laughing all the way to the bank, all those unscheduled Saturdays off when the chat show was pulled early and week after week off work over the summer. Must be approaching Duffy holiday levels at this stage.
    We always use Joe as the template, but the one who's really stealing a wage is Marian Finucane.

Marian Finucane only worked her 100th hour of work for 2019 yesterday.

Even if you count each day as a full day of work, that's only 50 days*

Most of us had worked more days by St Patrick's Day.

She'll struggle to complete 80 work days this year. 90 is now mathematically impossible. Even if she manages to hit 80 days, that puts her on 3,750 euro per show. Which is considerably higher than Joe Duffy, by any calculation.

*Of course, she reads the newspapers every weekday, and insists this should be counted as work.

All this gouging of JQ Taxpayer is building up a head of steam

No, I say, no, justification for these salaries.

None, zero,nada, null, nowt, tada.

When will that place implode.

All this gouging of JQ Taxpayer is building up a head of steam

No, I say, no, justification for these salaries.

None, zero,nada, null, nowt, tada.

When will that place implode.

Not until we run out of money to fund the cesspool.:mad:

Is this an extended Liveline?

Very good interviewee on atm

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Goat the dote

Is that the same girl who used to abuse everyone online calling them ableist pigs or have I her confused with another girl?

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Goat the dote

• Advertisement

Very good interviewee on atm

I'd agree that the young woman with the disability was very good - upbeat, "get on with it" attitude, and pursuing a great idea with vigour.

Brenda, however, didn't seem to be concentrating on listening to the answers coming from this intelligent and articulate person; rather she appeared to be thinking about (or reading from some notes) her next question. For example, Brenda was told that around 200 people in Ireland have the complaint, but a few moments later asked "tell us about the condition, how many people in Ireland have it?" Er, around 200, Brenda, like wot she just said.

And there followed more fumbling questions, which always got a considered and comprehensible answer.

Whatever, you're dead right - she was a very good interviewee

Advertisement