Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 **Mod Warning post 1** 27th Jan Forward

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,510 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I'd agree that the young woman with the disability was very good - upbeat, "get on with it" attitude, and pursuing a great idea with vigour.

Brenda, however, didn't seem to be concentrating on listening to the answers coming from this intelligent and articulate person; rather she appeared to be thinking about (or reading from some notes) her next question. For example, Brenda was told that around 200 people in Ireland have the complaint, but a few moments later asked "tell us about the condition, how many people in Ireland have it?" Er, around 200, Brenda, like wot she just said.

And there followed more fumbling questions, which always got a considered and comprehensible answer.

Whatever, you're dead right - she was a very good interviewee

Donohue can’t handle those interviews, much more at home on Love Island.

And there’s the problem, neither can D’Arcy..... in their comfort zone doing hairdresser radio....who won the meat raffle in the Boars Head last night, what would you do if you won the ‘Lottho’ , how do you build up your butt cakes without wearing Spanks....do you wear ‘short shorts’ Who is your favorite Beatle/Stone/ Beach Boy...that kind of crud.

You can almost hear them relax....

Donohue can’t handle those interviews, much more at home on Love Island.

Now there's a picture I hope my mind can forget before it's time for bed.......

Now there's a picture I hope my mind can forget before it's time for bed.......

On the topic of Love Island Robert, sorry if I instigated a floppy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Brenda came across as I’ll prepared interviewing Victoria Smurfit. Interview was all over the shop and guest was lovely

Brenda Donoghue playing a soundclip of a screaming, distressed baby.

Short of playing the sound of a jackhammer for 1.5 hours, there's probably no better away to turn listeners away. Flick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

Brenda Donoghue playing a soundclip of a screaming, distressed baby.

Short of playing the sound of a jackhammer for 1.5 hours, there's probably no better away to turn listeners away. Flick.

Brenda's voice is more likely to turn listeners away than any other sound.

Brian Scan wrote: »
    Brenda's voice is more likely to turn listeners away than any other sound.
    Yeah, it's not the greatest radio voice.

Her talking points at the top of the programme, from the few I've heard before switching over, are spectacularly vapid non sequiturs that she and the gang seem to have just plucked out of their arses like Alan Partridge trying to make conversation at a dinner party.

Q. 'There was a wasp in my car on the way to work this morning. So how should I behave around a wasp; is it like sharks, where you just stay still? What do YOU think?'
    A. I don't know Brenda, ask Google. Next.

Q. What would you do to meet your fav celeb? I once met Jennifer Aniston and completely fcuked-up an interview with her, I just asked her if she liked Christmas. It was hilarious lol
    A. ...? ....

Q. Do you always sit beside your partner at the dinner table or would you sit beside someone. Me and Denis don't always sit beside one another. I preper to mix it up. LOL not like That lol. Hmmm...
    A. Brenda I don't care just play some fcuking music.

Q. (out of absolutely nowhere) I always wanted to be a bingo caller or a mobile hairdresser [???] Anyway what was your dream job? Which is worse the sound of a dog whining or a screaming baby? Here, have a listen.

8j19JlXR0hM6.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭mountain

Yeah, it's not the greatest radio voice.

Q. (out of absolutely nowhere) I always wanted to be a bingo caller or a mobile hairdresser [???] Anyway what was your dream job? Which is worse the sound of a dog whining or a screaming baby? Here, have a listen

Sounds like she’s found rays “ideas” notebook.

Hairdresser radio folks, delivered by ....erm... someone who likes hairdresser radio.

Terrible.... that’s all I can say.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Hairdresser radio folks, delivered by ....erm... someone who likes hairdresser radio.

Let's take a moment for all the hairdressers out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

So true. :) Excellent analysis.

Let's take a moment for all the hairdressers out there.

It’s the customers I feel sorry for......

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I'd prefer Brenda over KT anyday. Not hard done anyway.

But Jesus, the subject matter this week would drive anyone to drink. I changed over a few times between 3 and 4 yesterday.

Peanut allergies. My youngest are in their teens so no interest.
    A female Dave Fanning who must have dsaid "wedding dress" 20 times in the minute before I hit the button again.
    Yer one, Niamh, the professional whinger. I have every sympathy for her condition. But it's no reason to be bitter towards people who have nothing wrong with them. "Ableists", I think is the term. I've seen her on Twitter a few times. Usually after spending the last hour "literally crying" over the latest injustice.

I heard the promo for today's show. As soon as I heard "Terminal cancer" I pulled out th phone and put together a playlist.

sligojoek wrote: »
    I'd prefer Brenda over KT anyday. Not hard done anyway.

But Jesus, the subject matter this week would drive anyone to drink. I changed over a few times between 3 and 4 yesterday.

Peanut allergies. My youngest are in their teens so no interest.
    A female Dave Fanning who must have dsaid "wedding dress" 20 times in the minute before I hit the button again.
    Yer one, Niamh, the professional whinger. I have every sympathy for her condition. But it's no reason to be bitter towards people who have nothing wrong with them. "Ableists", I think is the term. I've seen her on Twitter a few times. Usually after spending the last hour "literally crying" over the latest injustice.

I heard the promo for today's show. As soon as I heard "Terminal cancer" I pulled out th phone and put together a playlist.

Good call Joe, hope it wasn’t Westlife Greatest Hits.!

That would drive you over the brink, dude

Good call Joe, hope it wasn’t Westlife Greatest Hits.!

That would drive you over the brink, dude

Sorry BB. I should have said Music playlist.

Anyway, I ended up listening to an Old Crow Medicine Show lp.

I'm ready for today's interviews, which will prove the adage, "Fail to prepare, prepare to fail"

Yesterday, interviewing the mother with cancer(s) beyond belief - poor woman - and her daughter, Brenda actually lost the thread and said (iirc), "I'm sorry, I just drifted off thinking about how marvelous you are", and then had to pivot to a completely different line of questions. Blimey, what's on the cards for today??

What's your favourite smell.

FFS

I spend 11% of my time listening to the radio waiting for something to happen

Men's toilets are quicker because we "Ready, Fire, Aim"

Lord, it's quiet out here

I must be the only listener....

• Advertisement

When I get the smell of leather I look over my shoulder to make sure there's not a christian brother approaching with a strap.

Altan! I have tickets for them at the Fleadh (No, I didn't get them confused with Aslan, honest!)

I'm ready for today's interviews, which will prove the adage, "Fail to prepare, prepare to fail"

Yesterday, interviewing the mother with cancer(s) beyond belief - poor woman - and her daughter, Brenda actually lost the thread and said (iirc), "I'm sorry, I just drifted off thinking about how marvelous you are", and then had to pivot to a completely different line of questions. Blimey, what's on the cards for today??

Don’t know, don’t care, as far as this poster in concerned, that slot is dead.

Irish Times sports writer.

Irish Times travel writer.

Are all the RTE staffers on holidays?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

sligojoek wrote: »
    Irish Times sports writer.

Irish Times travel writer.

Are all the RTE staffers on holidays?

Humphries out of prison today too!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Diarmaid Gavin is quite hyper on atm

honeybear wrote: »
    Diarmaid Gavin is quite hyper on atm

What is he plugging now........

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Anyone listening today? He interview a mark Cagney for 30 minutes then signs off thanking mark costigan for coming into studio, doesn't even correct himself apart from saying. Sorry I'm just back from holidays. Poor preparation.

In fairness that might have been a kind of a joke. Earlier in the interview a texter asked was Mark Cagney in some particular band and Mark replied, No they were thinking of Mark Costigan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭roshje

Anyone listening today? He interview a mark Cagney for 30 minutes then signs off thanking mark costigan for coming into studio, doesn't even correct himself apart from saying. Sorry I'm just back from holidays. Poor preparation.

I was listening and he did correct himself

Advertisement