Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 **Mod Warning post 1** 27th Jan Forward

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Who's the scumbag on now?

Theres an obvious answer to that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

What fruit have you in a fruit bowl ?? For **** sake.

That's some value for the licence right there. Amazing stuff!

Oh and with Darcy it's, "what froosh have you in a froosh bowl"
    he does that exchange of -t for -sh at the end of words that drives me bananas!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    That's some value for the licence right there. Amazing stuff!

Oh and with Darcy it's, "what froosh have you in a froosh bowl"
    he does that exchange of -t for -sh at the end of words that drives me bananas!

Would you have bananas in your fruit bowl :)

But it's the fact that he tries to ram ideals that he DOES NOT EVEN ADHERE TO HIMSELF down the listener's throats
    He's not really ramming anything into people's throats -- or ears, for that matter.

Very occasionally, I'll listen to Ray D'Arcy, or search YouTube for a clip from his TV show (eg that awful TV interview with the lawyer from Making a Murderer) just to join the cringe-party.

There's a good reason why we have a rule here against saying If you don't like it change the channel' -- that's an unreasonable demand to make where negative and positive criticisms are equally welcome.

But it's also Completely Daft to claim that anything is being rammed down people's throats against our will.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

RAY, stop ****ing saying “I don’t know” after every segment
    We all know you don’t know anything
    BTW - he can’t even pronounce Alicante, muppet

• Advertisement

RAY, stop ****ing saying “I don’t know” after every segment
    We all know you don’t know anything
    BTW - he can’t even pronounce Alicante, muppet
    Did you hear the bit where he was on about how it would be great to be able to fly a plane? Must have been in the first ten minutes, I don't think I've ever gotten past 15:10.

Imagine that fella in charge of a Boeing 737. He can't even handle the few buttons on his own desk with any competence, after almost 30 years in broadcast media.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

DTgOzI1WsAE9BL0?format=jpg&name=900x900

"She thanked staff for "all their efforts across the summer"

Someone tell her that Joe Duffy has had 39 days off this year to date -- that amounts to working only 1.25 hours per day, over a 4-day week, for a salary in the region of 400k.

Effort?

RTE Radio 1 Drivetime presenter Mary Wilson was tenth highest paid in 2016 with earnings of €185,679.

In 2015 Nicky Byrne, who hosts the Nicky Byrne Show with Jenny Green on 2FM, was eighth highest paid, earning €200,583. That year he also presented the short lived National Lottery game show, but he does not feature in the top ten in 2016.

Mary Wilson would be one of the lesser obscenely paid presenters. I can take or leave her but I'll say this. She did the courts and would have a good legal brain. She's an experienced journalist and can carry a live show.

Nicky Byrne plays songs from a pre-prepared list and gets more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,498 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

But I'm sure he was seen as a great catch by RTe.....he was in a famous boy band you see, and that makes him a great investment at €200k annually.

NIMAN wrote: »
    But I'm sure he was seen as a great catch by RTe.....he was in a famous boy band you see, and that makes him a great investment at €200k annually.

Well connected by marriage as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

Someone tell her that Joe Duffy has had 39 days off this year to date -- that amounts to working only 1.25 hours per day, over a 4-day week, for a salary in the region of 400k.

Effort?
    Yes but hes missing now because of his new Booook about the Nordie Kidzzz, he's an author, so to speak

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

Instead of getting a 50K payrise, he should have been cut back TO 50K and even then he would be overpaid

1. Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

Ray D'Arcy was the second highest paid presenter, and he saw an increase in earnings from €400,000 in 2015 to €450,000 in 2016 as his TV show aired. It was the biggest increase among the top ten earners at the State broadcaster that year.

Honestly, he should have been deducted 50k for the TV show. What an absolute waste of money.

2. Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Honestly, he should have been deducted 50k for the TV show. What an absolute waste of money.

Reduced to 50k more like
      Edit ; crap,just read back and see this was already posted :(

3. Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

Could be a bit of good news on the horizon.

https://extra.ie/2019/09/07/entertainment/celebrity/ray-darcy-axe-tommy-tiernan

Late night chat show hosts should be comedians if you want it to be entertaining. How long did it take RTe to work this out.

4. Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 118 ✭✭aodomhnaill

Could be a bit of good news on the horizon.

https://extra.ie/2019/09/07/entertainment/celebrity/ray-darcy-axe-tommy-tiernan

Late night chat show hosts should be comedians if you want it to be entertaining. How long did it take RTe to work this out.

the actually look quite like one another and are equally as untalented and painful to listen to.

5. Registered Users Posts: 16,965 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

https://m.independent.ie/breaking-news/irish-news/ray-darcy-vows-to-take-a-pay-cut-as-rt-director-warns-staff-of-financial-situation-38476996.html

Ray clapping himself on the back.

So he will probably take a pay cut back down to what he was on when he came to RTE. Which was scandalous anyway.

6. Posts: 0 [Deleted User]

BPKS wrote: »
      https://m.independent.ie/breaking-news/irish-news/ray-darcy-vows-to-take-a-pay-cut-as-rt-director-warns-staff-of-financial-situation-38476996.html

Ray clapping himself on the back.

So he will probably take a pay cut back down to what he was on when he came to RTE. Which was scandalous anyway.

From the article

Did the salary put him under pressure to earn it, or did he think he was worth it? "I work hard. I would never say in a million years 'I'm worth it' because that's a load of w**k. Like anybody there are times when you have self doubt, that's the reality of the situation. Self-doubt is a little more common in our profession than in others."

w**k? Work? Walk? Weak? Week? Wonk? Wink? Wick..... ah, yes..... Got it

Also, I think my self doubt might lessen if I was on the thick end of 1/2 million a year.

7. Advertisement
    8. Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Gimmie a bucket.

9. Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

Got a mention in the paper review there on The Marion Finucane Show.

10. Registered Users Posts: 5,216 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Effort?

Hold your horses there a minute!

if he was sick for 39 days that's fair enough.

Does anyone know the reason for the absences? I would be presuming they are related to RTE work and he wouldn't be absent as such?

11. Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭ [Deleted User]

sligojoek wrote: »
      Mary Wilson would be one of the lesser obscenely paid presenters. I can take or leave her but I'll say this. She did the courts and would have a good legal brain. She's an experienced journalist and can carry a live show.

Nicky Byrne plays songs from a pre-prepared list and gets more.
      Plus she's a good Tipperary woman.

12. Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

more misery stories of bad pregnancies / sick children today :confused:

13. Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 118 ✭✭aodomhnaill

I've a guilty pleasure of listening to Joe Duffy and the absolute madness of the whole thing, unfortunately as I am driving this runs into D'arcys show. I rarely get by those mind numbing soliloquy's that he 'kicks' the show off with. Its usually about his day when he spotted some such sh*te as a ladybird out of season while he was out on his run. Is this the extent of this mans existence? I personally think hes a complete fraud and hes up to all sorts, himself and Jenny dropping the car keys into the fruit bowl in some semi-d in Leixlip for a bit of swapping I would say is highly likely the way he comes across. Even if you were of his ilk surely something interesting happens day-to-day. It's absolutely dire. "Yesterday I put an ice cube into a glass of water and it was amazing to see it melt and become one again with the liquid blah blah blah"

14. Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Steve Martin had a lucky escape 'back in d day '.

15. Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Steve Martin had a lucky escape 'back in d day '.

I heard that while i was driving. Such an anti-climax to an anti-story.

16. Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

Nobody voted for you, Ben. Just tell a joke or get the f**k out of the studio.

17. Advertisement
    18. Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Buzz kill is getting worse by the day. Who even though that was possible ?.

Advertisement