Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 **Mod Warning post 1** 27th Jan Forward

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,411 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

washiskin wrote: »
    Add a dollop of Colmans English mustard to that and it's magic.

He's up against Moncrief for the 1st hour of the show, so I suppose the thinking is to try to out weird and wacky him to keep the audience from switching. The problem there is Moncrief has that particular market cornered so it's the shakings if the bag for Darcy.
    They should pick a genre.... weird and wacky and make it good or the radio version of the RTÉ Guide and hope people don't get fed up of the constant repetition of guests.

Moncreif....weird and wacky!!

Nah mate.... a dull stult who thinks he’s edgy, says Brendan.

Complete tosser, in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

Moncrieff has completely changed in the past 10 years, he was very good on RTE in the 90s but he has become extremely woke...

jk23 wrote: »
    Moncrieff has completely changed in the past 10 years, he was very good on RTE in the 90s but he has become extremely woke...

Hmmm.... obviously looking for a reaction....

‘Woke’?

Enlighten our discussion, más Maith leat.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

I feel really sorry for foreign people farcy interviews over the phone. Hope they dont think all Irish people are that stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

Hmmm.... obviously looking for a reaction....

‘Woke’?

Enlighten our discussion, más Maith leat.

No I mean Moncrieff has become unbearable, don't dare text in to disagree with him or you will get a smug sarcastic reply from him

• Advertisement

I used to be of that mind myself, a Bhreandáin. Not any more. For sure, I don't share all of his views. But look at who he's up against: Joe Duffy, the Tory Party conference on UK radio, and actual employee work. Moncrieff is the best of a bad lot in this correspondent's opinion.

You just have to get past that voiced pharyngeal fricative, where every broad vowel sounds like he's having a stroke and his chin is pressing against his throat. Âapple, âafternoon, âatrocious.

I used to be of that mind myself, a Bhreandáin. Not any more. For sure, I don't share all of his views. But look at who he's up against: Joe Duffy, the Tory Party conference on UK radio, and actual employee work. Moncrieff is the best of a bad lot in this correspondent's opinion.

You just have to get past that voiced pharyngeal fricative, where every broad vowel sounds like he's having a stroke and his chin is pressing against his throat. Âapple, âafternoon, âatrocious.

Robust defense in fairness Ty, I may have a listen over the next day or two and see will I be any more receptive to his brand of product.

I will warn though if there is still a lot of “says Mary” “says Declan” still swilling around,the evaluation may come to an abrupt end.

What's a power-bank ..
    Ask Tom ,ya dope.

Ray thinks a hen bird is male according to what he just said “you might think he’s smaller if he gets wet on a rainy day...”.

This is more shyte. This lad should have had insurance to cover his diving hobby. The paddys give him a " financial hug". Piss off

• Advertisement

Listening to farcy you'd think this lad was dead

Last dive...yeah right.

This is more shyte. This lad should have had insurance to cover his diving hobby. The paddys give him a " financial hug". Piss off

Who the fcuk goes deep diving on the Lusitania wreck without insurance?

Don't ask farcy to pronounce Luisitania....he can't.:eek:. It's only probably the 2nd most famous vessel to ever sail in Irish waters.:rolleyes:

Farcy having a conversation about technology..the irony :D:p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

jk23 wrote: »

He was??

That chat show he (briefly) fronted was pretty tragic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

You can't get insurance for it. recreational fun diving, is hard enough. A deep dive like that is only going to be insured at commercial level if you are an employee on research or rescue. Potentially, if you tried hard enough you will get quoted for an astronomical amount somewhere.

You can't get insurance for it. recreational fun diving, is hard enough. A deep dive like that is only going to be insured at commercial level if you are an employee on research or rescue. Potentially, if you tried hard enough you will get quoted for an astronomical amount somewhere.

Which is probably why one shouldn’t do it?

You can't get insurance for it. recreational fun diving, is hard enough. A deep dive like that is only going to be insured at commercial level if you are an employee on research or rescue.

Are you certain about that? I know for sure that jockeys (most of whom are not on retainer) avail of insurance. Actually, any jock working under rules who mounts a horse and goes onto the track without insurance probably needs his head examined.

The wife of this misfortunate man was on the radio today and totally accepted that he should have had insurance. She didn't say it wasn't available. I'm delighted he's en route home, they sound like a great couple, but are you really sure insurance wasn't available?

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

Why o why would you put yourself in dangers way like this. If you can afford to do this dive surely you can afford insurance. This guy was in his 40`s , should have known better. OK I`m sorry the incident happened and all the knock on stuff but Good God this is all so unnecessary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,883 ✭✭✭✭elperello

In my opinion arguing about whether he should have been insured doesn't really address the mans situation.
    The fact is he was in trouble and a solution had to be found.
    In steps a radio show to put out a call for donations.
    People step up and send in a few bob. Nobody was forced to help.
    Perfect use of public radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

It's not very nice to say, but I feel the same way when I hear about these "heroic" climbers who leave young families at home to go climbing up Mount Everest.

But then that is the RTE duplicity:
    Single young lads who dive off Salthill pier in a bit of wind and rain = idiots.
    Married men with young kids who risk their lives on Everest = heroes.

elperello wrote: »
    In my opinion arguing about whether he should have been insured doesn't really address the mans situation.
    The fact is he was in trouble and a solution had to be found.
    In steps a radio show to put out a call for donations.
    People step up and send in a few bob. Nobody was forced to help.
    Perfect use of public radio.

Sorry to hear of the mans situation, but the bottom line is he should have had insurance against incidents like this and if he couldn’t get it, shouldn’t have taken the risk.

Hope he recovers well but it kinda needs to be highlighted in my opinion.

Chef Ray promoting Nigella’s roast potato recipe. Despite all efforts my mouth is watering. Adjusting Sunday lunch menu accordingly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

Hats off to David Gray, flogging the same album for 20 yrs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

liam7831 wrote: »

Not only did you hear David Gray today, you'll also see him tomorrow night on Ray D'Arcy Show.

Cos of course like.......

Same few weeks ago when they'd the Salsa Guy in his 90s on; he'd been on Radio Ray during the Summer.

These repeat guests/cross over from radio to television means less research time reqd. too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

liam7831 wrote: »

I bought the special 20th anniversary edition, which has been renamed from White Ladder to Golden Goose.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

'Lymes disease, It's here to stay and it's not going away'

A bit like yourself, Ray.

Slightly annoyed that he read out that whiplash headline (90% of patients in one clinic stopped attending after their claim was finalised), and then he declared that it isn't necessary for him to even read the article, sighing "Compensation culture", before moving on.

This guy is supposed to be a professional journalist. Shouldnt journalists be asking the questions like "who authored that report?" and therefore who does it serve, if anyone. Or, "Might there be legitimate reasons for ceasing attendance?" -- maybe there is no effective treatment, but people feel like they have to attend otherwise they'll be accused of not trying to get better.

I don't know. Personally I think there is a compo culture and maybe whiplash isnt even a real injury. But a journalist shouldn't just accept a headline without asking the basics, like is the evidence valid, is there an alternative explanation, and who benefits from this claim?

He's paid hundreds of thousands of euro to ask questions. Just do the basics, man.

• Advertisement

He sounds as interested as Matt Talbott was in guinnesses

Advertisement