Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 **Mod Warning post 1** 27th Jan Forward

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

He sounds as interested as Matt Talbott was in guinnesses

Going through the motions promoting an RTE show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

If I was the Nuacht team or Tg4 or R Na G I'd be right peeved; he's repeatedly late with the 4pm Nuacht.

Just now he'd Conor Pope on with his single Price Watch query; he could've left the whole segment off til after 4pm or else just the answer.

But nope, he goes for both and the Rte Nuacht is 3-4 minutes late in starting.

This isn't an occasional thing; it's far too often and is contemptuous in terms of how he, and RTE Radio 1, seem to hold the Irish Language.

Bear in mind when he began he got the Nuacht moved to 4pm from 3:30pm; Derek Mooney or whoever else was on never had an issue getting their timings right.

It's professional incompetence.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Forgot about the ads...yeah right ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    If I was the Nuacht team or Tg4 or R Na G I'd be right peeved; he's repeatedly late with the 4pm Nuacht.

Just now he'd Conor Pope on with his single Price Watch query; he could've left the whole segment off til after 4pm or else just the answer.

But nope, he goes for both and the Rte Nuacht is 3-4 minutes late in starting.

This isn't an occasional thing; it's far too often and is contemptuous in terms of how he, and RTE Radio 1, seem to hold the Irish Language.

Bear in mind when he began he got the Nuacht moved to 4pm from 3:30pm; Derek Mooney or whoever else was on never had an issue getting their timings right.

It's professional incompetence.
    Yeah heard that went to ads at 3.59 when he could of gone to nuacht,it is a case of two fingers to the nuacht readers,but at this stage is anyone surprised with his carry on

Such, due to lateness of going to Nuacht, is his poor time-keeping he'd to cut short the guests at the end after the break he forgot.

You wouldn't expect this on local radio; therefore it should unacceptable on a national station.

If local radio presenter kept doing it they'd be pulled up over it within first week; this is ongoing almost since he began.

• Advertisement

The pips on the News At One are never off-target. Well, almost never. People expect the news to come on at that time, and it does. For many of us it's a landmark time that you can literally set your phone to, if you want the news.

Ray has gone to Nuacht as late as ten past 4. Imagine if Ronan Collins delayed the News like that, because he wanted to squeeze in Mary Byrne or Dickie Rock. The DG of RTE would be on the blower asking him what he meant.

Ray Darcy doesn't mean any badness in it, I think the problem is that nobody in RTE cares about -- it points to a general apathy about the first national language of this country; it doesn't matter to them. He could probably get away with avoiding going to an Nuacht altogether, if he wanted to, and there wouldn't be a miog out of anyone "upstairs".

There are only three Nuacht bulletins on RTE Radio 1 per weekday. RTE are already only doing the bare minimum in accordance with the Broadcasting Act, and they're not even getting that right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

The pips on the News At One are never off-target. Well, almost never. People expect the news to come on at that time, and it does. For many of us it's a landmark time that you can literally set your phone to, if you want the news.

BBC radio stations are bang on the nail with their timings!!

Professionalism

RTÉ isn't too bad, in fairness. The kitchen radio down home is timed to turn itself on for The News At One. Invariably, it turns on when the pips are squeeking.1pm exactly.

The same probably goes for The Angelus at 18:00, but by instinct I hit the OFF button at 1759. Not even Catholic but still feel the guilt of abstention :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

1 o'clock and 6 o'clock time signals may be accurate on RTE Radio 1.......though a lot of the hourly bulletins are not on time (same with the other RTE radio services). no excuses !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,962 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Radio 4 is. Radio 2 often isn't.

Just caught the last few minutes before the news. He says he's saddened by negative texts about travellers. If this attitude doesn't change nothing can be done about traveller issues like suicide.

Is he for real?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭giveitholly

sligojoek wrote: »
    Just caught the last few minutes before the news. He says he's saddened by negative texts about travellers. If this attitude doesn't change nothing can be done about traveller issues like suicide.

Is he for real?
    Yeah it's everyones fault that the travellers rob and terrify old people throughout the country but not one mention of that

• Registered Users Posts: 33,498 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Mistake in the 1st few seconds of the show.

Doesn't even know what day of the week it is.

So Ray’s personal diary of dates is as chaotic as his use of the buttons.

More Colleen Rooney to come. ;)

Does D4bes ever listen to this bozo ?.

Oscar Wilde
    George Bernard Shaw
    or
    Oprah Winfrey.
    Now that's a comparison only he could make

This Coleen Rooney nonsense belongs on 2FM or some such channel.

It belongs on the Niall Boylan show

• Advertisement

T
    U
    D ;). Way to go raymond

• Registered Users Posts: 19,411 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Belongs on Heat.

Fcuking rubbish

16.02 and hes still waffling. Nuacht reader should tell him where to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

16.02 and hes still waffling. Nuacht reader should tell him where to go.

One of these days, I wish one would, but they'd probably end up being given their papers while Ray is, well we know he won't be going anywhere.

It's astounding to me that a presenter on his kind of money doesn't even have the grasp of the basics of which buttons, if he's struggling that badly, swallow your pride man, and ask someone to produce while you ramble on with your doom and gloom.

Cuts the food segment short to go straight to RTE Drivetime thus presumably missing an ad break in between?

During food segment it becomes apparently obvious and is said on air that the RTE victim/guest Blathnaid was simply chosen simply because she was hanging round the canteen; while this may've been said in jest it's always been assumed by listeners & viewers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭jelutong

NIMAN wrote: »
    Mistake in the 1st few seconds of the show.

Doesn't even know what day of the week it is.

Raymond taut today was Turdsday. How right he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,216 ✭✭✭bobbyss

sligojoek wrote:

Dreadful to have that on RTE 1. Rubbish and nonsense. I didn't hear him today but I can only imagine that was part of his opening monologue which in itself is self- indulgence. Who gives a sh1t
    what HE thinks about stuff? It's one of the main reasons i don't tune into him. Juvenile, adolescent stuff.

jelutong wrote: »
    Raymond taut today was Turdsday. How right he was.

To be fair, it’s an easy mistake to make

• Registered Users Posts: 20,962 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Good piece on the Coleen Rooney story on PM on BBC Radio 4. Starts at 52:30. It also made the flagship 6 o'clock news.
    Apologies to any language purists who decide to listen, for the pronunciations.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m00094jl

At this stage it is clear that the Nuacht does not appear at 4 pm, so don't expect it to. This is nothing to do with D'Arcy, since it happens at the weekends as well. There is a 15 minute news bulletin at 4 pm on Raidió na Gaeltachta. Maybe the intention is to let Irish speakers get the headlines there before coming back to Radio 1?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,883 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Good piece on the Coleen Rooney story on PM on BBC Radio 4. Starts at 52:30. It also made the flagship 6 o'clock news.
    Apologies to any language purists who decide to listen, for the pronunciations.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m00094jl

At this stage it is clear that the Nuacht does not appear at 4 pm, so don't expect it to. This is nothing to do with D'Arcy, since it happens at the weekends as well. There is a 15 minute news bulletin at 4 pm on Raidió na Gaeltachta. Maybe the intention is to let Irish speakers get the headlines there before coming back to Radio 1?

Thanks for the link.

As for Nuacht, its not as if the complainers really care about Nuacht, they are just using it as a stick to beat poor old Ray.

Advertisement