Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 **Mod Warning post 1** 27th Jan Forward

Options

Comments

Ray off to a good start - finger trouble by the sounds of it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

Ray off to a good start - finger trouble by the sounds of it

Thats why Jenny is mostly grumpy

• Registered Users Posts: 82,337 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

€500k a year..."Are fireworks legal in this country?"

M

For most tasks in the workplace the phone is an inefficiant way of communicating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

In RTE they have found that people have lost the ability to press a button on the mixing desk.

• Advertisement

This segment is a bit like a school detention - describe the inside of a ping pong ball, you have fifteen minutes

Ray's talking about dishwashers for heaven's sake. Reading from the papers has got to be the easiest broadcasting task known to man (or woman)

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

A university radio station volunteer would do a better job than Ray. It's not exactly rocket science. Though the set up in RTÉ is probably slightly different I would imagine.

M

The flu vaccine, ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Ad break at 3.59. will we get Nuacht at 4?

Nearly.

• Advertisement

Huuuuge reaction, like every guest. Kinda takes the good out of it when everybody gets one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Started off the show by shoving 4 or 5 topics into first fifteen minutes; by time I'd caught the gist of one he was onto the third.

Second half he'd not one but TWO dog segments.

When he was with Today FM for the 3 hours he wasn't this off the wall; he was professional and organised; it's like "I'm back in the Mother Ship now and they won't ever get rid of me so I can do what I want without worrying about my conduct or performance on air."

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    Started off the show by shoving 4 or 5 topics into first fifteen minutes; by time I'd caught the gist of one he was onto the third.

Second half he'd not one but TWO dog segments.

When he was with Today FM for the 3 hours he wasn't this off the wall; he was professional and organised; it's like "I'm back in the Mother Ship now and they won't ever get rid of me so I can do what I want without worrying about my conduct or performance on air."

I agree, and I also think the format is "lazy". Ray and Ryan both start their shows with a fifteen minute monologue, based on the papers and other intriguing things. I can read the papers (and anyway, Morning Ireland tells me what's in the headlines). I suppose that the upside of this repetitive approach is that you know what the programme is going to contain, structurally and content. But it's so light that it's in danger of floating away.

In some ways, I don't mind Ray talking about fitness, running, cycling, porridge and so on, but whilst many people have a family; their wife, daughter, son, grandchildren etc and they will love talking about them, there's also those who don't, can't, wish that they could, have fallen out with, don't speak to theirs. So, for what it's worth (and I know the answer to that is probably "B*gger all!) I'd rather not hear about his family sotospeak.

By the way, my family is wonderful and fantastic and the best.....

sligojoek wrote: »
    Huuuuge reaction, like every guest. Kinda takes the good out of it when everybody gets one.

From Psychology Today....

Praise is like sugar. Used too liberally or in an inappropriate way, it spoils. But used carefully and sparingly, it can be a wonderful thing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Reading from the papers has got to be the easiest broadcasting task known to man (or woman)

By 3pm the papers should be old news. It's been done to death on every radio station up to midday.

Christy Dignam singing "Crazy World for a change".

I thought Donald Trumps lingering handshakes were due to his small hands.

sligojoek wrote: »
    Christy Dignam singing "Crazy World for a change".

I'm listening to this via Sky. How did you predict that song ten minutes ago?

I'm listening to this via Sky. How did you predict that song ten minutes ago?

Ray said at the beginning that he'd be on. It was either that song or the other one. It was a lucky guess.

The writing must be on the wall for poor auld Ray.

Look what he's asked Bonnie Greer to go and do. Am I just being cynical, or do you reckon things have gotten so bad, your man has gone and asked her to tweet this?

https://twitter.com/Bonn1eGreer/status/1183438130923429889?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

The writing must be on the wall for poor auld Ray.

Look what he's asked Bonnie Greer to go and do. Am I just being cynical, or do you reckon things have gotten so bad, your man has gone and asked her to tweet this?

https://twitter.com/Bonn1eGreer/status/1183438130923429889?s=19

Park your cynicism; no way would she be a patsy for just another schmuck on the talk show circuit who she owes nothing to.

She seemed genuinely pleased/flattered that he knew about the jazz riff aspect; I don't think that was put on.

To be fair to him, Ryan Tubridy and others they're expected to read books that might bore the pants off of them (the rest of us can chose the book based on blurb & reviews that appear in the media) and obviously while they don't read all of the books they do read some and Ms. Greer would've been one Ray'd've'd to hastily get onto given how, to most of us, she was so new, relatively speaking (I never heard of her before BBC Question Time!).

Though I'd wager they also have their researchers/producers/minions give them bite sized synopsis of some tomes.

I wouldn't mind getting paid to review a book, to summarise it but no chance I'd like to do it for a book on say, fiction where I'd be out of my depth.

Fair play, on the face of it, to Ray.

Park your cynicism; no way would she be a patsy for just another schmuck on the talk show circuit who she owes nothing to.

She seemed genuinely pleased/flattered that he knew about the jazz riff aspect; I don't think that was put on.

To be fair to him, Ryan Tubridy and others they're expected to read books that might bore the pants off of them (the rest of us can chose the book based on blurb & reviews that appear in the media) and obviously while they don't read all of the books they do read some and Ms. Greer would've been one Ray'd've'd to hastily get onto given how, to most of us, she was so new, relatively speaking (I never heard of her before BBC Question Time!).

Though I'd wager they also have their researchers/producers/minions give them bite sized synopsis of some tomes.

I wouldn't mind getting paid to review a book, to summarise it but no chance I'd like to do it for a book on say, fiction where I'd be out of my depth.

Fair play, on the face of it, to Ray.

If I was on the money Darcy and Tubridy are on,I'd read the bible...

Hmm, OK I'll park my cynicism for now. That reference to him being a real pro, though, capable of dealing with technology... Well anywyay, I'll stop pissing on his compliment now. Well done Ray.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭amlinopta

First mention of the daughter inside 30 seconds

How long before there's a segue into wedding talk?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

What !! Maternity leave ?. Does she have a child ??

Ellie is her name, second appearance of the day

"I'm so kind of gedding your story right now"

Seems that Ellie has wide feet, needed special shoes for the wedding. Can you believe it?

• Advertisement

amlinopta wrote: »
    Seems that Ellie has wide feet, needed special shoes for the wedding. Can you believe it?

Yes.

Advertisement