Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 **Mod Warning post 1** 27th Jan Forward

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Ray would be sighing and looking down his nose at this if it were naked women.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    He just opened the show by thanking Kathryn (as in Thomas) for standing in for him yesterday.

It was Brenda Donohue.................

I worked in the same job and place for twenty years, I was forgetting new colleagues names, never really made an effort and didn’t really give a toss and made silly mistakes. I was a right miserable **** loaded with apathy and I didn’t give a f*ck about anything except for the pay cheque each month. I was also out of my depth. I was offered redundancy/piss off out of this place you miserable bollocks.

That go fund me yoke seems to be fairly good for raising funds for a lot of people who don’t deserve it. Could start one for ray, if everyone who thought he was similar enough to my own experience above chucked in €5 I’d say he’d be gone like a shot without thinking twice, and would be very wealthy.

I worked in the same job and place for twenty years, I was forgetting new colleagues names, never really made an effort and didn’t really give a toss and made silly mistakes. I was a right miserable **** loaded with apathy and I didn’t give a f*ck about anything except for the pay cheque each month. I was also out of my depth. I was offered redundancy/piss off out of this place you miserable bollocks.

That go fund me yoke seems to be fairly good for raising funds for a lot of people who don’t deserve it. Could start one for ray, if everyone who thought he was similar enough to my own experience above chucked in €5 I’d say he’d be gone like a shot without thinking twice, and would be very wealthy.

As far as I am concerned, Ray could contribute towards a go-fund-me collection to find a decent radio and tv presenter who has some knowledge, skill, talent and competence to do a proper job. At the moment, I go fund Ray (and some others) on the “TV licence-go-fund-me or I’ll hit you with a criminal charge” website to the tune of €160 a year

As far as I am concerned, Ray could contribute towards a go-fund-me collection to find a decent radio and tv presenter who has some knowledge, skill, talent and competence to do a proper job. At the moment, I go fund Ray (and some others) on the “TV licence-go-fund-me or I’ll hit you with a criminal charge” website to the tune of €160 a year

Fair point...however, so do I because we get threatened with a summons to court every year a few weeks after we don't pay even though all we watch is Netflix, the odd time on a 32" toshiba handover, watch no TV but do watch a film every odd time. If someone upped my TV licence next by €50 guaranteeing me Duffy, Tubridy and D'arcy were gone offering a complete reshuffle of new talent I would offer to double that and pay it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,881 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Fair point...however, so do I because we get threatened with a summons to court every year a few weeks after we don't pay even though all we watch is Netflix, the odd time on a 32" toshiba handover, watch no TV but do watch a film every odd time. If someone upped my TV licence next by €50 guaranteeing me Duffy, Tubridy and D'arcy were gone offering a complete reshuffle of new talent I would offer to double that and pay it.

Only fair to point out that this is the radio forum.
    You don't need to own a TV or pay a licence to listen to the radio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

elperello wrote: »
    Only fair to point out that this is the radio forum.
    You don't need to own a TV or pay a licence to listen to the radio.

I think if you listen to the goverment and RTE ad, it says if you listen to radio on your TV you need to pay the poxy TAX. Some folk may get their wires crossed and dont realise the difference.
    Now dont start nit picking, but thats what it says
    (BTW, i am fully agaisnt this tax)

I think if you listen to the goverment and RTE ad, it says if you listen to radio on your TV you need to pay the poxy TAX. Some folk may get their wires crossed and dont realise the difference.
    Now dont start nit picking, but thats what it says
    (BTW, i am fully agaisnt this tax)

Of course if you own TV to watch or listen to the radio on you must pay the licence fee.
    On the other hand as I said you don't need to own a TV or pay the licence fee to listen to the radio.
    That's not nit picking, it's a statement of fact.

BTW I believe there is a value in Public Service Broadcasting and I don't mind paying for it. I'd prefer if the licence fee was abolished and replaced with a subvention from general taxation.
    That's just an opinion.

BTW I believe there is a value in Public Service Broadcasting and I don't mind paying for it

Ok, so what value does Ray dArcy provide to the public in terms of broadcasting?

Ok, so what value does Ray dArcy provide to the public in terms of broadcasting?

I have no problem with RD.
    He's not the best I ever heard and he's certainly not the worst.

I have no problem with RD.

What’s your barometer so for best and worst out of interest?

Ray darcy is the absolute worst I can think of in terms of talent/competence/personality/skill with relation to his salary. Genuinely curious as to how anyone other than RTE nepotism rate him.

• Advertisement

What’s your barometer so for best and worst out of interest?

Ray darcy is the absolute worst I can think of in terms of talent/competence/personality/skill with relation to his salary. Genuinely curious as to how anyone other than RTE nepotism rate him.

Best ever on radio Gay Byrne and Pat Kenny.
    Worst some of the US shock jocks.

I take on board your opinion of RD just don't agree with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

I'm sort of inclined to agree, he's usually personable and doesn't have too many airs & graces.

BUT, the excessive moralising and lecturing can be hard to take. Usually best to switch off for the first half hour until he's got that out of the system.

Edit to add: here we go, blah, blah, blah - drinking and too much technology for kids... Can you not give it a rest Ray?

BarryD2 wrote: »
    ......best to switch off for the first half hour until he's got that out of the system.

Edit to add: here we go, blah, blah, blah - drinking and too much technology for kids... Can you not give it a rest Ray?

Why do the two highest paid presenters on RTE start their radio shows with a newspaper review/monologue/diatribe/lecture/opinionated ramble? It lasts (almost to the second) for 15 minutes and seems to little ol' me to be of no relevance to proceedings thereafter at all? Then there's music - which at least gives me time and opportunity to spend three or four minutes mindfully breathing and letting go the bullsh1t

Fergus not backwards in coming forward ��

• Registered Users Posts: 19,411 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

BarryD2 wrote: »
    I'm sort of inclined to agree, he's usually personable and doesn't have too many airs & graces.

BUT, the excessive moralising and lecturing can be hard to take. Usually best to switch off for the first half hour until he's got that out of the system.

Have to kind of agree Barry.

However what fchuurkes up D’Arcy is he hasn’t the gravitas to lecture to anyone.

He knows fuhherke all about fuuuherke all... so anybody who would take his opinions on stuff as knowledgeable knows precisely the same.

There’s the problem in a nutshell.

Hairdresser radio.

Another freebie for an ex RTE presenter who seems to spend more time in the studio than he did when he was actually working there.

Shows how far RTE standards have fallen that they would allow somebody to "interpret" dreams. He'll probably have a Ouiga Board under his arm the next time, which should be pretty soon. Charlatan

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Another freebie for an ex RTE presenter who seems to spend more time in the studio than he did when he was actually working there.

Shows how far RTE standards have fallen that they would allow somebody to "interpret" dreams. He'll probably have a Ouiga Board under his arm the next time, which should be pretty soon. Charlatan

He comes in every few months to do the same interview as the last time.

Funny how 'Soundtrack to their life' always ends up as a plug for a book or play.

Anyone hear 'Minnie and Maxie and their Mom'.

"Mom drinks lots of alcohol and then she goes to bed"

Funnily enough for a man who usually interrogates everybody about their weekly consumption, Ray didn't have the balls to question that.

"Mom drinks lots of alcohol and then she goes to bed"

Funnily enough for a man who usually interrogates everybody about their weekly consumption, Ray didn't have the balls to question that.

"shes been using bad language all day"

Minnie and ****ing Maxy or is it Maxie, or Maxi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,272 ✭✭✭emo72

Car crash radio. I loved it!

What was that all about? I heard him preaching about drink and turned him off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

The positive from today; Triona McCarthys kids Mini & Maxi throwing their Ma under a bus.

The negative; that I'm presuming they got paid by RTE to go review a movie; is it the Den or Jo Maxi or something?

On a more general point; Ml. Murphys Soundtrack to Your Life & Ray aimlessly babbling on delaying Nuacht again by 1-2 minutes; D'Arcy even mentioned it to him as a former RTE newscaster......

Also I appreciate it's not like his Today FM show which was 3 hours long but it's a shame it's dropped so many of the better aspects from it; I used love the CDs they brought out (have 'em all but phecked if I can remember name...) & he played some good music on that show; too much of an ask to play more than one song per programme (save for a musical guest being on to sing 'em into 4 O'Clock & out at 4:30pm)?

I know Radio 1's the Talk Station but Ronan Collins does 1 Hours Music @ Lunchtime, Lillian Late Lee (unsure of correct name or presenter or show!) does 11pm-12 Midnight & there's Rising Time from 6 to 7 in the morning; surely there's room to squeeze some more music in in the 3-4:30pm slot?

As it is the Soundtrack to your Life doesn't actually play much music; snippets if anything and no more than that; Desert Island Discs Ireland style.

sligojoek wrote: »
    What was that all about? I heard him preaching about drink and turned him off.

Some stuck up lush cow and her spoilt brats were put on air to review the new frozen film. They disclosed the mother or ‘mom’ had been using bad language all day and she drinks all the time. It was like something out of a live Ross o carroll Kelly column. The kids seemed just as unpleasant and as thick as the mother.

They were off to see Santa after the broadcast, I’m guessing one of 50 odd visits before Xmas and then off to centreparcs for new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Darcy with a fanny .;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Literally hairdresser radio.

© B. Bendar.

The Mawwwwm Show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭hawley

A lady on complaining about people tiptoeing around her daughter's death, then complaining about what they said and how awful middle class people are in dealing with it. Apparently poorer people are better at consoling her.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Kathryn had a daughter. And a C section. Ellie is her name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

amlinopta wrote: »
    Kathryn had a daughter. And a C section. Ellie is her name.

You kidding ?.
    That's news around here :)

Advertisement