Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 **Mod Warning post 1** 27th Jan Forward

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

So D'Arcy has yet another day off; Mondays seem to be his phone in sick/do a nixer day if my memory's correct.

Ms. Thomas didn't go to Nuacht til 4:02pm by my watch; think it was due to Pricewatch segment running over/not being started early enough as usual; so often it runs over post Nuacht/Sport too.

As for the death piece the lady involved was quite pointed to Ms. Thomas by telling her she was a therapist and not a counsellor; KT'd called her the latter.

At least if D'Arcy's back tomorrow and thanks Kathryn Thomas for sitting in for him he'll be right this time; last time (last week too I think??) he thanked KT despite it having been Brenda O'Donoghue.

Reality of it is Brenda or Kathryn run the show just as smoothly as D'Arcy does; inevitably their annual salary (KT'd be contracted I assume as she has her Pure Results Bootcamp?) combined wouldn't come within an asses roar of D'Arcys; bin him from the wireless and reduce salary accordingly; he might focus more on the TV Show as a result and not have it cut half way through its normal run which is something strange.

The show should go on til end of May/1st week of June.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Farcy took yesterday off because it was his daughter birthday :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

For a man who likes to rail against social media and devices, Ray's beginning to take a shine to them in terms of his show production.

I take back any criticism on that aspect as a result; Kate D'Arcy is now 13; I remember him announcing it on Today FM; would love his Radio 1 show to be of a similar format; more music and less chat but when there is chat a better mix of comedy & information & life stories; it worked in Diggs Lane/on Abbey St.; shame the show's less than 1.5 hours in total due to Drivetime having gone to 4:30 to match the competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,216 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Ray darcy is the absolute worst I can think of in terms of talent/competence/personality/skill with relation to his salary. Genuinely curious as to how anyone other than RTE nepotism rate him.

It's hard to argue with this. You would never associate the word Professional with him. If RTE offererd him less and he refused, let him go to the BBC. The BBC! Can you imagine it! The very idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,411 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

bobbyss wrote: »
    It's hard to argue with this. You would never associate the word Professional with him. If RTE offererd him less and he refused, let him go to the BBC. The BBC! Can you imagine it! The very idea.

Muuuuuuuhaaaa

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

In teh financial state RTE are in, they shouldnt be paying any Contractor presenters to fill in on shows like this.

Plenty of Permanent presenters to choose from when D'Arcy or Tubridy is off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

I know it's been stated in the past but the company is hugely in debt and they can afford to let one of their top presenters take a day off because it's his daughter's birthday. My opinion would be that if an organisation can afford to let their second highest earner to take the day off because of his daughter's birthday and the organisation does not suffer, then then man should be told that he is simply not needed on the Tuesday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,881 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I know it's been stated in the past but the company is hugely in debt and they can afford to let one of their top presenters take a day off because it's his daughter's birthday. My opinion would be that if an organisation can afford to let their second highest earner to take the day off because of his daughter's birthday and the organisation does not suffer, then then man should be told that he is simply not needed on the Tuesday morning.

First off they are not hugely in debt.
    Financially troubled yes but not in peril.
    Secondly you would need sight of RD's contract to judge his time off.
    Once the contract is signed any drop off in listeners caused by his absence is factored in.

elperello wrote: »
    Once the contract is signed any drop off in listeners caused by his absence is factored in.

They sometimes play ads for Ray's show when Kathryn is presenting. It's time to let him go and let his shows go. Give somebody else a chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,881 ✭✭✭✭elperello

They sometimes play ads for Ray's show when Kathryn is presenting. It's time to let him go and let his shows go. Give somebody else a chance.

So you are claiming that there is fall of when he is not on and yet you want him gone.
    Who is the somebody else?
    He may not be the best ever but he does a reasonably competent job of filling that difficult gap for all broadcasters between a very popular show and the evening drive time programme.

They ALWAYS play ads for Rays Show no matter who's presenting; you'll hear them, at least one or two during Liveline ad breaks.

Prior to that? You'll hear Joe Duffy or Damien O'Reilly (RTE Countrywide/LL Stand In Presenter) or PBH (Stand In also on occasion) on around 12:30/12:45pm on Ronan Collins.

Tune into Ray D'Arcy Show and you'll also get a preview from Mary Wilson for Drivetime.

That's all perfectly normal enough stuff; it's meant to keep the listener to one show listening after it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭superdog

So you are claiming that there is fall of when he is not on and yet you want him gone.

A block of wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,216 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Haven't read all the posts here but was RD absent due to his daughter's birthday? How do you know this?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

bobbyss wrote: »
    Haven't read all the posts here but was RD absent due to his daughter's birthday? How do you know this?

He told us

• Registered Users Posts: 11,573 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

om8cvAcf_400x400.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Mario. Again. Late Late last week and now this. Must be flogging tickets

I always loved that song that Phil Coulter wrote about Ray himself.

6 minutes late for the Nuacht. Newreader went straight in to the news stories without any introduction. I'd day they are rightly p1ssed off with him at this stage for his passive aggressive behaviour. And his pigeon Gaeilge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭jelutong

Why doesn’t his producer haul him over the coals for his ignorant behaviour? The man isn’t even fit to be a latrine orderly.

• Advertisement

jelutong wrote: »
    The man isn’t even fit to be a latrine orderly.

He could spend the holidays at his own convenience:D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

At one point he said"It's 3.52. I'm consious of the time."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Anyone know if Kathryn Thomas is safe after the London Bridge incident today?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,499 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Anyone know if Kathryn Thomas is safe after the London Bridge incident today?

She's grand but her ma was there in 2013.
    Hope she's ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭denishurley

Rosenstock got a dig in about Nuacht too. Ray did his usual thing of pretending to enjoy the impersonation while really hating it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Rosenstock got a dig in about Nuacht too. Ray did his usual thing of pretending to enjoy the impersonation while really hating it.

I always got the impression Mario and Ray didn't like each other at all when they worked in Today FM together

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I'm not a prude as he assumes a priestly tone of voice

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I'm not a prude as he assumes a priestly tone of voice
    Maybe he saw exposed belly buttons on the show he was talking about ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

lol today, ray sounded like a mix of larry david and alan partridge, rowing with old men women best start to show in ages

• Advertisement

What is this rubbish that I'm listening to?

Advertisement