Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 **Mod Warning post 1** 27th Jan Forward

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Ssssssteady Barry...... criticicise auld Turnip Head an you’re dead meat round here.

Take it from the Bren.

Hmm, on the whole I like Creedon but he is a bit repetitive at times both in music choices and commentary. God knows how many times we've heard the story of Moycullen and his flash of insight :) Never mind, the old 'no pressure' but maybe a case of familiarity breeding content?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I liked ray's self assessment of his pin dropping wheeze as "very funny...very comedic." It was neither comedic nor even funny in a 'it was so bad it was hilarious way'.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,411 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Hmm, on the whole I like Creedon but he is a bit repetitive at times both in music choices and commentary. God knows how many times we've heard the story of Moycullen and his flash of insight :) Never mind, the old 'no pressure' but maybe a case of familiarity breeding content?

Uhmmmm ....danger here.... auld Scanlon won’t be afraid to voice the usual two word reprobation.

Like davycc ..lurking under the surface.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Didn't listen to todays show; Liveline ended & the 1st thing D'Arcy did was phuck up the intro to the 3 O'Clock News.....CLICK!

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    Didn't listen to todays show; Liveline ended & the 1st thing D'Arcy did was phuck up the intro to the 3 O'Clock News.....CLICK!

+1. He really has become a laughing stock. This start to the show (“now, which one is it?” remark, as he tries to remember which button to push) is more common than not.

As far as RTÉ radio is concerned, I am now only regularly listening to Sean O’Rourke (and whilst I will stick with Sarah McInerney to see how she gets on, I fear for the longer future of the programme) and John Creedon (thanks to the recommendations on boards.ie). I also listen to the LiveLoine, entirely for the entertainment and joy of the thread on here, not for it's supposed “listener driven” content. The host is entirely self serving, and a caricature of himself these days.

I had to give up with Ryan Tubridy; the utter banality of it, exonerations to be kind, everything gorgeous, populated by books and pals messing was giving me palpitations

The only winner is Noel Kelly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Agree with all of the above Robert. The fact that the man cannot do a simple piece of continuity to hand over to the news is just embarrassing. Reads out the statistics on weddings, and then records a pin dropping - something which might have worked on Today FM when he was considered trendy and relevant. But on RTE it's just embarrassing. It's time for RTE to recognise that their project to make Ray D'Arcy the new big star in RTE has failed, both on radio and TV, and just get somebody young, competent and upbeat in to the show.

This opportunity came about fifteen years too late for Ray.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭Field east

Its really difficult to believe that this is not his first day on the radio. He is absolutely useless. Stopping ,starting interrupting, umming and ahhing. ;)

And that laugh

Oh, I forgot Ronan Collins - sorry Ronan, still listening!

Ray, you fill time on air every day!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Farcy doing press ups on the radio. Sweet jahova.

• Advertisement

Green behind the ears! Dear Lord

He can’t find his notes now. “I’ll come back to it”. I have definitely given this up now

This lad would be overpaid at €20k p/a never mind €500k

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Agree with all of the above Robert. The fact that the man cannot do a simple piece of continuity to hand over to the news is just embarrassing. Reads out the statistics on weddings, and then records a pin dropping - something which might have worked on Today FM when he was considered trendy and relevant. But on RTE it's just embarrassing. It's time for RTE to recognise that their project to make Ray D'Arcy the new big star in RTE has failed, both on radio and TV, and just get somebody young, competent and upbeat in to the show.

This opportunity came about fifteen years too late for Ray.

They missed a trick; his Today FM listeners aren't his Radio 1 listeners; if they wanted to poach that audience then Tubridy & Today SOR'd've had to go; however the never filled G. Ryan 3 hour slot on 2FM'd've been the perfect vehicle.

He's just unsuited to afternoon radio; his show on Today FM worked because there was music dotted throughout it; his current show is generally only a couple of songs, maybe three and it needs more, even in a "1.5 hour" show; we go from hipster Tubs to Sean/Sarah to a soft break in all the talk with Ronan & then News @ 1, Liveline; surely the D'Arcy Show should have more music especially coming before Drivetime?

Christy must either A) need the money or B) is getting soft in the head. There was a time when he wouldn't suffer fools..now he going on to this shyte

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Christy must either A) need the money or B) is getting soft in the head. There was a time when he wouldn't suffer fools..now he going on to this shyte

Maybe Christy's retiring? Or making a comeback from retirement. Hard to keep up with him! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,643 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Sounds as if Christy forgot to put in the false teeth

Thoroughly embarrassing

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Is there any dj on any station who goes on about where he's from more than this fella? Everyday lilywhites this lilywhites that. Even the cork lads dont bang on about being from cork more than ray bangs on about kildare. He's like a little child.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Is there any dj on any station who goes on about where he's from more than this fella? Everyday lilywhites this lilywhites that. Even the cork lads dont bang on about being from cork more than ray bangs on about kildare. He's like a little child.

He's from Kildare, didn't hear him mention it :confused:

• Advertisement

You forgot to mention Jenny,Kate and tom. Apparently he's the only person in radiodom to be married and have children. Leave alone make porridge and bread :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Did I hear right,a three sided rectangle?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

Sounds as if Christy forgot to put in the false teeth

Possibly put them in upside down!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,965 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Ray is saying that all of Ireland will be "staycationing" in August - obviously he thinks the whole country works for RTE - still getting paid and can take the month of August off

• Registered Users Posts: 17,466 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Having trouble with numbers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

That segment at the start of every show where Ray "talks to the audience", simply doesn't work. The man does not have the gift of a Gerry Ryan or Gay Byrne that he can talk to the audience and have them believe that he is speaking to them. Every single day "How are you" in that stupid staccato voice that he adopts and then he proceeds to make a series of statements, and then laugh at them himself. That whole first segment sounds so contrived that it's like he is reading the "What Ray Did Yesterday" essay his teacher gave him as homework. And tbh, the standard is not much superior to secondary school either.

Just go straight to the first interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,496 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It must be a 'thing', cos Tubs does exactly the same.

Inane ramblings for the opening 10 or 15mins.

NIMAN wrote: »
    It must be a 'thing', cos Tubs does exactly the same.

Inane ramblings for the opening 10 or 15mins.

Yep, and it was the inane blathering and disconnected random verbiage that finally made me give up on both shows. Ryan on the morning shift and Ray on the afternoon.

I haven’t given up on the threads, though. I love them!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,496 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I haven't listened to either for a while, must tune in today to see what the 2 lads have to say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,411 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

That segment at the start of every show where Ray "talks to the audience", simply doesn't work. The man does not have the gift of a Gerry Ryan or Gay Byrne that he can talk to the audience and have them believe that he is speaking to them. Every single day "How are you" in that stupid staccato voice that he adopts and then he proceeds to make a series of statements, and then laugh at them himself. That whole first segment sounds so contrived that it's like he is reading the "What Ray Did Yesterday" essay his teacher gave him as homework. And tbh, the standard is not much superior to secondary school either.

Just go straight to the first interview.

Poor John Murray(where has he gone to) tried that ‘humour’ for the intro to the show back in the day....terrible stuff,terrible, eventually died the death
    but not for years.

Brings me to the Ray thing...same as John...simply not suited to the programme...that’s the problem.

Just listen to clip with Christy Moore- Ray literally palpitating and doing this inane laugh and gushing in the background.

Every time I hear him I am minded of the character Dougal in Fr Ted.

Has to re-enforce everything with a “isn’t it” or “ isn’t that right”.

Should have been left in his realm of competence.

Advertisement