Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 **Mod Warning post 1** 27th Jan Forward

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

There's a way to segue into the Nuacht, if D'arcy were arsed, he's long enough in the job now, that he should know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

NIMAN wrote: »
    I'm no fan of D'arcy, but at least he was able to come back to work today.

From what I can see, all the other 'big names' are still on their holidays.

You referring to Joe Duffy? Back tomorrow after the Prime Time Presenter (legit can't think of her name) for last two days.

PBH on in morning for Claire Byrne; missed RTE One last night; was she on?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,405 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

NIMAN wrote: »
    I'm no fan of D'arcy, but at least he was able to come back to work today.

From what I can see, all the other 'big names' are still on their holidays.

A dude on 500k and we laud the guy for coming back to work!!

What I can’t understand is a Public Service Broadcaster turning the station over to autopilot for ten days.

And this in the absolute middle of the biggest crisis in the history of the State.?

You had dudes haranguing politicians who had been working over Xmas and the New Year who couldn’t produce a spokesperson to defend why they drove a coach and four through the COVID rules in their own workplace.

How can these stults have any credibility.

Incredible stuff, in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Jesus that was an incredibly insensitive and clumsy interview ever for D'Arcy. I wonder did she actually hang up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

I hope she did.

Straight into the dead kids of course-bloody vulture :mad:

• Advertisement

Jesus that was an incredibly insensitive and clumsy interview ever for D'Arcy. I wonder did she actually hang up.

You referring to Hazel; I'd say D'Arcy was hoping it was her line dropped alright.

Chrisht it was insensitive as bf'd; he brought up her self-esteem issues & her doubts & the husband too.

You'd think with all RTEs technology they could've had all the 5 ) OT Leaders on a bank of screens in studio; they don't seem to've been able interact with each other?

Would expect the show to be the home of Op. Trans. for next 8 weeks or will Clare Byrne in the morning do that?

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    You referring to Hazel; I'd say D'Arcy was hoping it was her line dropped alright.

Chrisht it was insensitive as bf'd; he brought up her self-esteem issues & her doubts & the husband too.

You'd think with all RTEs technology they could've had all the 5 ) OT Leaders on a bank of screens in studio; they don't seem to've been able interact with each other?

Would expect the show to be the home of Op. Trans. for next 8 weeks or will Clare Byrne in the morning do that?

I think that their inability to do this speaks volumes for the state of technology - and technological knowhow - in RTE

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

The hamster that normally runs their IT services is wrecked from powering the Player over the Christmas, and Arsey D'Arcy killed his understudy by pressing the wrong button on the automated feeding machine.

I think that their inability to do this speaks volumes for the state of technology - and technological knowhow - in RTE

It seems that all their technology is invested in the TV production side of broadcasting, and that radio is a tech wasteland.

It seems that all their technology is invested in the TV production side of broadcasting, and that radio is a tech wasteland.

I’m sure you’re right, but when it comes to Player, that’s a wasteland too, akin to the surface of the planet Mars!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

You referring to Hazel; I'd say D'Arcy was hoping it was her line dropped alright. Chrisht it was insensitive as bf'd; he brought up her self-esteem issues & her doubts & the husband too.

I'm not sure what the name was but from the description above we are talking about the same person. She called back in later in the show and the poor woman was trying her best to counter Ray's initial remarks/allusions, which might have left people with the impression that her husband saw himself as "punching below his weight" when he was with her. It was pretty admirable how she defended her man all the same and wanted to be sure that people would not be left with a negative impression of him from the previous conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,465 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

What time was this on? Cannot find it on the podcast

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I found it here but it wont play on my laptop because I've an adblocker installed. I disabled the adblocker and it still tells me I've an adblocker installed. Enough time wasted. Pity there's not a system whereby you can put in your TV license number and not have to put up with ads.

https://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/html5/#/radio1/21890773

• Registered Users Posts: 17,465 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Jaysus - could he be ever more crass talking to someone about something so sensitive

I know what I would have said if it was me on the phone to him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭mountain

Just listened to him speaking with hazel,
    He was obnoxious to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭bmorrissey

Watched the show last night and they were saying it will Rays show which will be the home of operation transformation.

Can see him getting very preachy about it in the coming weeks

bmorrissey wrote: »
    Watched the show last night and they were saying it will Rays show which will be the home of operation transformation.

Can see him getting very preachy about it in the coming weeks

Given it's a pre-record, if D'Arcy played his cards right, he could get Kathryn Thomas in of a Thursday to do his show since it's her gig!

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Piehead

mountain wrote: »
    Just listened to him speaking with hazel,
    He was obnoxious to her.

He’s should get tested, could be on the spectrum

Personally I kind of despise Operation Transformation, although it might help some people.

Ronan Collins played that clip earlier.

Could he not have come up with something else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

sligojoek wrote: »

They don't listen to other shows on rte. Ray played Old Town on tuesday, a day after Ronan, Creedon and Cathal Murray had all played it too. Obviously on Phil's anniversary but still. There's 100 other songs they could choose. Pure laziness and bad production imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

referring to Larry Gogan?

referring to Larry Gogan?

That's right.

They don't listen to other shows on rte. Ray played Old Town on tuesday, a day after Ronan, Creedon and Cathal Murray had all played it too. Obviously on Phil's anniversary but still. There's 100 other songs they could choose. Pure laziness and bad production imo.

Was that the original or the various artists one? I've heard the latter a good few times lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Airchecks of Larry doing the Top 30 chart or the golden hour would've been more appropriate on the Ray D'Arcy show, seeing as Ronan played the cheese commercial clip.

Was that the original or the various artists one? I've heard the latter a good few times lately.

Wouldn't swear on it but pretty sure original was played in all cases. I'm not directing this against darcy (for once!), just this annual rte tradition of its january 6 (or is it 5th?) so i have to play old town. Just a perennial bugbear of mine!

Wouldn't swear on it but pretty sure original was played in all cases. I'm not directing this against darcy (for once!), just this annual rte tradition of its january 6 (or is it 5th?) so i have to play old town. Just a perennial bugbear of mine!

RTE have a hard on for that song as the video was made by a few heads from "the parish".

RTE have a hard on for that song as the video was made by a few heads from "the parish".

Ah right. Tis a good video, though, i'll give them that. The Long Hall i think, iirc?

Article about a documentary about the video

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭bmorrissey

these video clips don't play well on radio ray, especially when you're laughing and talking over it

Advertisement