Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 **Mod Warning post 1** 27th Jan Forward

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Farcy is so arkward and disinterested in this interview it's embarrassing

Absolutely shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

KaneToad wrote: »
    What do the production staff get paid? Are they ever resentful of the premium sums the presenters can earn?

I'd say they are resentful. Only guessing here but Id imagine they are paid quite well, maybe 50k+ for a researcher up to 100k for a producer. But they'll all be looking at Darcy and resenting that he is on 450k for sure.

Another factor is some of these people would harbour ambitions of getting a presenters job on radio themselves. Being a researcher first is the route to do that like Tubs did when he was a researcher for Gerry Ryan. But instead of been given a chance they have to watch Kathryn Thomas swan in to talk about babies when Ray is off on his plentiful holidays and their chance is gone. I know RTE paid Thomas 180k a few years ago, its likely even more now. So yeah, Id say the team around these presenters are definitely resentful of the sums being paid when they cant get a chance themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,405 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I'd say they are resentful. Only guessing here but Id imagine they are paid quite well, maybe 50k+ for a researcher up to 100k for a producer. But they'll all be looking at Darcy and resenting that he is on 450k for sure.

Another factor is some of these people would harbour ambitions of getting a presenters job on radio themselves. Being a researcher first is the route to do that like Tubs did when he was a researcher for Gerry Ryan. But instead of been given a chance they have to watch Kathryn Thomas swan in to talk about babies when Ray is off on his plentiful holidays and their chance is gone. I know RTE paid Thomas 180k a few years ago, its likely even more now. So yeah, Id say the team around these presenters are definitely resentful of the sums being paid when they cant get a chance themselves.

The other route of course is to get the eye of a ‘big beast’.

Joseph Duffy......... Gaybo

Brenda Dononue........ Gerry Ryan

Tubs......Gaybo

Among others...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Gay has a lot to answer for in some ways.

In what possible universe could Duffy ever be considered a talent?

Marion got obscene money, but she WAS good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,877 ✭✭✭✭elperello

To be honest I'd lump him in with them

Whatever about the respective talents of the individuals Shane McGowan is of a completely different genre.

I fail to see how you could "lump" them together.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

To be honest I'd lump him in with them

Lump away but you'd be wrong.. Shanes body of work will be there and enjoyed long after he, you and I are gone, whereas the other lads will leave nothing of lasting importance after them apart from a fat bank balance entirely incomensurate with their "talent"

Lump away but you'd be wrong.. Shanes body of work will be there and enjoyed long after he, you and I are gone, whereas the other lads will leave nothing of lasting importance after them apart from a fat bank balance entirely incomensurate with their "talent"

You are not wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Muahahaha wrote: »

KT did the sports yoke with Jason Sherlock; she built herself up; she's also p/t in terms of she has Op. Trans. & that's generally it apart from the whatever number of weeks a year she sits in for Ray (and others mind; she's done the 10am-12 Noon shift in the Summer for Sean O'Rourke but recently when Claire Byrne's been off, and I would give her Monday or Tuesday mornings off to reflect Claire Byrne Live on Monday nights; I might even give her both off; same with Tubridy on a Friday morning & for all or majority of Toy Show week).

She also has her Pure Results Bootcamp in Co. Cork or Co. Kerry although I'd imagine she farms some/a lot of it out to other PTs.

I do get the researchers resentment but maybe some need to lower the blades as it were & go for local radio in their area; mine has one intern who's a producer with a drivetime show for a local presenter who'd be as good, locally, as Pat Kenny or Ray D'Arcy etc. on a national level, better even; said intern/producer works 5 days a week & has her own gig on a Saturday night too dirrectly as a result; you can argue Saturday night is graveyard shift on local radio or even lnational radio but we all gotta start somewhere.

As it is is suits RTE to have KT & Brenda to call on for D'Arcys absences; they're polished.

If RTE were a 24 Hour Station like BBC Radio 5 Live (which I'm currently listening to with the brilliant Colin Murray & also Stephen Nolan) then the researchers might be able to be given a chance; if they utilised their digital platform, used Rte Radio 1 Extra (5 Live Extra is only used for stuff that clashes with soccer or rugby generally like cricket depending on time of day).

RTE went wild & launched a number of digital stations without having personnel to staff 'em......or the audience to listen to them.

D'Arcy during Christmas/New Year was ably replaced by Brenda O'Donohue for a pre-recorded half hour gig & then RTE Gold; it was easy listening & a decent music/personal issues break from Liveline & before more politics/curent affairs/news Drivetime.

I also get letting a researcher have a go on national radio is a bigger risk than on local at any time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Did ye see the report on the RTE website. https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0120/1190981-rte-on-air-earners/

How in God's name is Ray D'Arcy the second highest paid radio presenter in the country. Truly shocking.

It amazes me that the Great Interruptor, Mary Wilson, is only around 10k below the Taoiseach in earnings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Storm 10

To think Darcy gets 450k a year to tell us about how good he is at cooking at home and not a show passes but his wife and kids get s mention who give a flying f..k about what he does at home, he spent almost an hour the last day talking about the soups he makes and had a chat with Claire Byrne about soup it's a disgrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Up next, Aiden Power's missus has got his golf clubs cleaned and he's thinking about heading out for 18 holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Whestsidestory

..ffs he is on rte almost every day and now its news that Nevin Maguire likes dance music. I've rarely heard Ray Darcy as excited

..ffs he is on rte almost every day and now its news that Nevin Maguire likes dance music. I've rarely heard Ray Darcy as excited

He introduced some lad from a reality show a while back...... you’d think Elvis himself direct from Graceland had walked into the studio.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭rolling boh

His show is utter rubbish but RTE has a loyal band of listeners who are unable to switch stations so awful presenters and shows remain popular .I have to hand it to Ray to get the money he gets for the quality of the show takes the biscuit he bagged some deal .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

He's done it again.
    You guessed it.
    Fecked up the buttons.
    AGAIN

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭bmorrissey

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    He's done it again.
    You guessed it.
    Fecked up the buttons.
    AGAIN

Death, Taxes and Darcy messing up the buttons etc :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

Ray has been trained by Tubridy on the Covid Speech!!!!!!!
    Overpaid fool.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

It's a fairly simple looking set up from this Google Image, yet he somehow manages to cock it up with the buttons? How? What does he do in the time in between handover from Joe Duffy to his own, why doesn't he have his stings and jingles ready/lined up in ZARA, or whatever system RTÉ use.

How is the man earning €450K a year?

I130906_141249_76346oTextCS_47027431.jpg

One of the great mysteries of our time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭mountain

One of the great mysteries of our time.

Unfortunately I think Ray is secretly proud that he can’t get the controls right.

mountain wrote: »
    Unfortunately I think Ray is secretly proud that he can’t get the controls right.

Mountain...... the controls are far from the problem, I’m afraid.

It’s the fact that he knows fork all about fork all is the
    problem.

In moi ‘umble opinnon....:P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

This this cnut and his yoke of a wife have a podcast???
    Who in their fu5king mind would listen to that shiote.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

He couldn't interview a supergrass!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

This this cnut and his yoke of a wife have a podcast???
    Who in their fu5king mind would listen to that shiote.

Darcy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

His show's an hour & a half. Except for 3pm News "4 O'Clock" Nuacht, Ad Breaks for 4:30pm Drivetime & Nuacht (no matter if he's gonna be late for Nuacht due to Pricewatch he'll prioritise ads & delay Nuacht.....) & what, maybe another ad break between 4 & 4:30pm & 1-2, in hour 1 too.

Best guess is this reduces 90 minutes to 70.

Out of that, today he defo spent the 1st 17 or more just waffling on; he's a parody of himself at this stage.

Ideally he'd log in, tell us what's coming up quite quickly & cut to some music before rattling through the various sections with at least a modicum of interest; when he was on it with Today FM he was good but now it's like I'm back at the Mothership for last 5 or more years and'm in this gig for life.

I no longer listen to Today FM due to Premier League Live contract not being renewed but at least they change things in their schedule when a presenter isn't fitting in.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    His show's an hour & a half. Except for 3pm News "4 O'Clock" Nuacht, Ad Breaks for 4:30pm Drivetime & Nuacht (no matter if he's gonna be late for Nuacht due to Pricewatch he'll prioritise ads & delay Nuacht.....) & what, maybe another ad break between 4 & 4:30pm & 1-2, in hour 1 too.

Best guess is this reduces 90 minutes to 70.

Out of that, today he defo spent the 1st 17 or more just waffling on; he's a parody of himself at this stage

Ideally he'd log in, tell us what's coming up quite quickly & cut to some music before rattling through the various sections with at least a modicum of interest; when he was on it with Today FM he was good but now it's like I'm back at the Mothership for last 5 or more years and'm in this gig for life.

I no longer listen to Today FM due to Premier League Live contract not being renewed but at least they change things in their schedule when a presenter isn't fitting in.

As does Tubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

sligojoek wrote: »
    Darcy?

Yes he said it on the Today show.

• Site Banned Posts: 109 ✭✭Physicskid9

Don't really understand the hate, I think he's a fantastic presenter. Couldn't imagine anyone else in the role

• Advertisement

Don't really understand the hate, I think he's a fantastic presenter. Couldn't imagine anyone else in the role

Jesus wept.

Advertisement