Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting landlord committment

Options
  • 27-01-2019 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭

I've been in a property for a couple of years through an agency - no direct landlord contact. Rent always on time and no hassle tenancy.

There's a few decorative bits that need doing - mainly painting and I would like to change the wallpaper in one of the rooms as it wasn't in great nick to start with. I'm happy to foot the bill as there's two years of wear and tear from me and happy for a before and after inspection to make sure what I get done is up to scratch. I also want to install a dishwasher it's pre-plumbed (there won't be any issue here as the agency have told me before to do what I want within reason is fine with the landlord)

Overall before sinking a grand or so into the place I'd like some form a landlord commitment. What can I ask for that would give me certainty of tenancy for another two years. I.e. is a further fixed term tenancy enough to stop the selling or giving to a family member reason. It was never renewed after year 1 it's just rolling or whatever the term is.

I'm prepared for the rent to pre-emptively increase in line with RPZ. Overall it's certainty rather than money that is my main concern.

As I'm dealing with an agency id like to be able to send them a simple two liner as they don't have huge incentive to engage with me and while I've had no issues with them they are slow to react in general

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

Speaking as a ll, i would strongly recommend you dont commit 1k of your own money into the ll property. You hold all the risk.

You can sign a 2 year lease however one of the main break clauses in these is the standard part of 4 details such as need to sell, need for family etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,069 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I'm dyslexic and I read "Getting landlord committed". I thought this is going to be an interesting thread.

I'm actually a little disappointed now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

Fol20 wrote: »
    Speaking as a ll, i would strongly recommend you dont commit 1k of your own money into the ll property. You hold all the risk.

You can sign a 2 year lease however one of the main break clauses in these is the standard part of 4 details such as need to sell, need for family etc.

Thanks for the reply.

So effectively you are saying there's no way of circumventing the right to sell / give up to a family member for a specified amount of time?

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I'm dyslexic and I read "Getting landlord committed". I thought this is going to be an interesting thread.

I'm actually a little disappointed now :)

Doesn't help that my spelling isn't on point.

This is one of those rare good landlord / good tenant threads ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Subutai

Thanks for the reply.

So effectively you are saying there's no way of circumventing the right to sell / give up to a family member for a specified amount of time?

A fixed term lease with no break clause for the Section 34 criteria would circumvent the right to sell or give to a family member.

Posters here are saying that a lease would include a term allowing that. Many would, but they do not have to. If the landlord wanted to they could agree to exclude that term. I can't see why they would have a problem doing so if they knew that they weren't going to need or sell the house in the next two years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Nope. You doing the place up would just mean more of a chance that you get the boot quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Ask landlord to supply materials and you do the work.

Advertisement