Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simple open chimney question

Options
  • 27-01-2019 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭

My 90 year old house has an open chimney that I cleared up just recently while noticing that the concrete on the bottom sounds hollow and there are a few holes in the bottom (not sure as per design or by spontaneous decisions of previous owners). Other than that, the kitchen that surrounds the chimney has a solid floor, but the bedroom on the other side of the chimney has an elevated timber floor.

I would expect the chimney to be on solid ground, like the kitchen floor, and level with it. Any reason why this may not be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,000 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Most chimneys are built as part of the house structure. Usually a space saver is installed inside the fireplace. It goes against the back wall & the two sides. Without the space saver the fireplace will be square or rectangle shaped. With the space saver its the perfect shape for the grate.

It's not uncommon for the builder to leave a hollow behind the space saver. If you post photos someone can help better

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ampleforth

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Most chimneys are built as part of the house structure. Usually a space saver is installed inside the fireplace. It goes against the back wall & the two sides. Without the space saver the fireplace will be square or rectangle shaped. With the space saver its the perfect shape for the grate.

It's not uncommon for the builder to leave a hollow behind the space saver. If you post photos someone can help better

I do have a space saver in the back of the chimney. The hollow sounding part is at the bottom of the chimney though...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,000 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

ampleforth wrote:
    I do have a space saver in the back of the chimney. The hollow sounding part is at the bottom of the chimney though...

The floor of the fireplace/hearth?

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    The floor of the fireplace/hearth?

Yes. At the floor of the open chimney, almost level with the tiles of the kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

ampleforth wrote: »
    My 90 year old house has an open chimney that I cleared up just recently while noticing that the concrete on the bottom sounds hollow and there are a few holes in the bottom (not sure as per design or by spontaneous decisions of previous owners). Other than that, the kitchen that surrounds the chimney has a solid floor, but the bedroom on the other side of the chimney has an elevated timber floor.

I would expect the chimney to be on solid ground, like the kitchen floor, and level with it. Any reason why this may not be?

I would imagine the original kitchen floor was suspended and replaced at some point.

Likelyhood is that the chimney (and base of same) is brickwork and there's a layer of concrete/mortar laid over it to form the hearth surface. Sound then like the concrete has parted company with the underlying structure.

You planning on light a fire in it?

• Advertisement

I am planning to place a range cooker or a stove in it.

Advertisement