Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eir changed my personal details and sent a SIM card out to a stranger with my number

• 27-01-2019 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

I tried to change a PAYG number over to a 30 Day SIM only plan on the 22nd Jan via Webchat. This seemed to go smoothly and I was advised it would take 24 hours. 48 hours later when I heard nothing back I got on to Webchat for an update. 
    I gave my personal details as part of DPA and I was told the details did not match. My address and DOB were incorrect. I advised I did not change anything and asked them to check the chat history. I had the date and time of it. I was simply told there was nothing they could do and i needed to contact 1901 (canned response). 
    I rang 1901 and spoke to a girl and explained my situation. After 2-3 mins I realised she was not listening to a word I said and when I asked her to repeat it back she said she couldn't. She wasn't not listening to me she was checking the notes on my account. I did advised her that is not helping and repeated everything for her again. I asked her to take notes but even then she did not understand my situation. I was placed on hold and when I was taken off hold there was a supervisor on the line (I didn't ask to speak to a supervisor). This supervisor constantly spoke over me and was more interested in defending the poor service I was getting than actually helping me. She promised to cancel any order I had (as at this point it was going to take another 48 hours to process my request) and fix the date of birth and address on my account. 
    I went in to an Eir store today to complete the transfer and I was advised the order was still going through and I should contact support. I got on webchat again to confirm this and was advised they would not help me as the date of birth and address I gave were incorrect. The team leader (whose name I have as well as her managers name) had not fixed my details as promised. 
    So now I have a number that I no longer own, a SIM that is going out to an address I don't know and my bank account details attached to this account that I am not allowed to remove. 

Who is going to be responsible for any large bills that are run up on this account? 
    Who changed my personal without my permission? 
    What actions will be take for this data breach?
    Will I get a letter of apology from Eir for this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Heinzer

Heinzer wrote: »
    I tried to change a PAYG number over to a 30 Day SIM only plan on the 22nd Jan via Webchat. This seemed to go smoothly and I was advised it would take 24 hours. 48 hours later when I heard nothing back I got on to Webchat for an update. 
    I gave my personal details as part of DPA and I was told the details did not match. My address and DOB were incorrect. I advised I did not change anything and asked them to check the chat history. I had the date and time of it. I was simply told there was nothing they could do and i needed to contact 1901 (canned response). 
    I rang 1901 and spoke to a girl and explained my situation. After 2-3 mins I realised she was not listening to a word I said and when I asked her to repeat it back she said she couldn't. She wasn't not listening to me she was checking the notes on my account. I did advised her that is not helping and repeated everything for her again. I asked her to take notes but even then she did not understand my situation. I was placed on hold and when I was taken off hold there was a supervisor on the line (I didn't ask to speak to a supervisor). This supervisor constantly spoke over me and was more interested in defending the poor service I was getting than actually helping me. She promised to cancel any order I had (as at this point it was going to take another 48 hours to process my request) and fix the date of birth and address on my account. 
    I went in to an Eir store today to complete the transfer and I was advised the order was still going through and I should contact support. I got on webchat again to confirm this and was advised they would not help me as the date of birth and address I gave were incorrect. The team leader (whose name I have as well as her managers name) had not fixed my details as promised. 
    So now I have a number that I no longer own, a SIM that is going out to an address I don't know and my bank account details attached to this account that I am not allowed to remove. 

Who is going to be responsible for any large bills that are run up on this account? 
    Hi as I still have no response from the social media team on this can you please have S@rah from the contact centre in Sligo call me please. She was the team leader who felt the service I received - where the agent did not listen to a word I said - was fantastic. This is the same team leader who advised me that I need to contact the data commissioner who in turn will contact Eir to action for my subject access request. Apparently the data commissioner is located in the Eir building at Hueston station which is handy!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

It's more likely they were referring to eir's Data Protection Officer (DPO)

https://www.eir.ie/privacycentre/faqs/

Ten Pin wrote: »

No she just didn't have a clue what she was talking about. I asked her for the name of the Eir DPO and she said I needed to contact the data commissioner and they would contact Eir on my behalf to request the information I needed. 

Ten Pin wrote: »

No she just didn't have a clue what she was talking about. I asked her for the name of the Eir DPO and she said I needed to contact the data commissioner and they would contact Eir on my behalf to request the information I needed. 
    Just got a phone call from the person who received my SIM card. Wants to know what he should do with it. I suggested contacting Eir as they are ignoring me here and will not talk to me over phone or chat as the address is still wrong.

I will have to contact the DPC to have the issue addressed and get my details ammended

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 eir: Nicole

Hi Heinzer,

Thank you for getting in touch with us. I do apologise to hear of the experience you have had so far. If you could send me a PM with the following account details:

1.  Account number
    2.  Account Name
    3.  Can you confirm if you're the account holder?
    4.  Address (correct or incorrect one)
    5.  Date of birth

6.  mobile number
    7.  method of paying bills

Once I receive these, I would be more than happy to have a look into this for you.

~ Nicole

• Advertisement

I've PM'd those details along with a contact no. as I assume this will not be dealt with via Boards.ie as it took 2 days for you to respond and only when I informed you I reported the data breach to the DPC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭DubInTheWest

I feel your pain here, I've been down this road and it was horrible. Eir have morons working for them and that's a  fact, not just my opinion.

I had a number over 10 years and I was getting it moved over from an eir payg to eir bill. Long story short, they lost my number, it went up into cyber space. They told me I'd have it back by the end of the week, never happend. Then it would be 2 weeks, nothing, then it had to go over to the Indians over in India as they deal  with this type of thing, they are useless too. My situation went on for 2 months with a 'temp number,' that I was given.  I contacted comreg, they told me to make a complaint to eir and they have 2 weeks to fix it or comreg will get involved. I needed a permanent number so I just kept the 'temp' number.

I said it in a previous thread, eir need to give the mobile staff serious training on how to port over number.  It's easy, I can't see how they are cocking up so much.

Good luck in your 'quest,' you'll need all the luck you can get dealing with these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 eir: Nicole

I've PM'd those details along with a contact no. as I assume this will not be dealt with via Boards.ie as it took 2 days for you to respond and only when I informed you I reported the data breach to the DPC
    Hi Heinzer,

I have responded to your PM

~Nicole

I feel your pain here, I've been down this road and it was horrible. Eir have morons working for them and that's a  fact, not just my opinion.

I had a number over 10 years and I was getting it moved over from an eir payg to eir bill. Long story short, they lost my number, it went up into cyber space. They told me I'd have it back by the end of the week, never happend. Then it would be 2 weeks, nothing, then it had to go over to the Indians over in India as they deal  with this type of thing, they are useless too. My situation went on for 2 months with a 'temp number,' that I was given.  I contacted comreg, they told me to make a complaint to eir and they have 2 weeks to fix it or comreg will get involved. I needed a permanent number so I just kept the 'temp' number.

I said it in a previous thread, eir need to give the mobile staff serious training on how to port over number.  It's easy, I can't see how they are cocking up so much.

Good luck in your 'quest,' you'll need all the luck you can get dealing with these.
    I know what you mean. They won't even apologies formally for the mistake. Simply blame Webchat as if it's not part of Eir. 

"I can confirm this was a mistake that was made on webchats behalf, however, I can assure you that your information was never changed or given to a third party. We would be unable to issue a written apology. You can view our escalation processes here https://www.eir.ie/complaints/"

Advertisement