Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Four young men killed in Donegal crash

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭corks finest

McGaggs wrote: »
    Same all over CORK

Donegal always gets **** on here, but Cork is statistically the worst county for all the shenanigans on the road. They even have a bit of a drink driving culture.
    Irrespective of anything - facts are facts Donegal parents leave kids drive uninsured,not qualified, underage, with drink and or drugs onboard,turn a blind eye to all this - not good enough ,my kids weren't allowed end of - drink equals no car- no insurance- no car,etc etc again parents responsibility to ensure they're prepared, qualified,insured, sober and don't drink n drive-young ppl in Cork ( in general) don't get away with the ****e that parents in Donegal and other border areas let happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Irrespective of anything - facts are facts Donegal parents leave kids drive uninsured,not qualified, underage, with drink and or drugs onboard,turn a blind eye to all this - not good enough ,my kids weren't allowed end of - drink equals no car- no insurance- no car,etc etc again parents responsibility to ensure they're prepared, qualified,insured, sober and don't drink n drive-young ppl in Cork ( in general) don't get away with the ****e that parents in Donegal and other border areas let happen

Sorry but have listened to your sh-te long enough. Parents in Donegal let there kids do all this and parents in Cork don't. Go on kop yourself on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

This is an extremely serious and tragic topic, and I honestly believe that post is just trolling for a response.

Outrageous actually!!

Sorry but have listened to your sh-te long enough. Parents in Donegal let there kids do all this and parents in Cork don't. Go on kop yourself on.
    All parents who let their kids do whatever ref driving are guilty FFS

Now jog on,if truth hurts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

That's a very broad brush you're painting with there.

When you're kids are the age to drive its mainly a matter of trust that they act responsibly how they have been taught.you cannot be with them 24 /7 .To even suggest which you did that the majority of parents in Donegal turn a blind eye to drink,drugs and no cover on there children's cars is total shi-e talk from you. If you feel that strongly about this matter, stay out of Donegal. You will be badly missed.

If the truth hurts ffs.you are totally deluded

And vice Versa end of ,I've said truthfully what I think on those parents who turn a blind eye etc - end result kids don't behave responsibly on the road ,that's my personal perspective

If course you being a Donegal person probably don't agree with any of the facts ref the woeful driving practices bnot in your county-- Donegal country boy attitude on the roads across the county is abysmal - saw it enough in 20 years up there ( Derry) didn't see any of it in Derry itself- wonder why? No unaccompanied L drivers- no bangers on the roads-parental responsibility -better roads- no under age drivers etc,truth hurts?

• Advertisement

In the post before this you said end of.

Look it's a tragic accident that led to this thread starting. I'm not about to start a slanging match with you.

I told you my thoughts on your posts and have no more intentions of engaging in your deluded facts.

Now end of from me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

As a Derry man, there is definitely less lawlessness on the roads in Derry.

But I would put a lot of that down to the sheer number of police around in Derry. It's a heavily staffed and resourced force in the north. Not even comparable to the guards in Donegal, which has a tiny fraction of the number of staff for a larger area.

Plus the north had laws which forbade L drivers being unaccompanied. AFAIK, it wasn't against the law for L drivers in Ireland to drive on their own up until recently. If so, absolute madness of course.

Derry has its fair share of careless and bad drivers though , it isn't confined to any one county. I'm not sure what the road deaths figures are for Co Derry.

Don't forget, the tragic crash that claimed 4 lives was still only one accident. It gets more press and media coverage due to 4 people dying. There was other crashes in Ireland in days before and after it that didn't get the latest same coverage cos only one person died. But at the end of the day, a crash is a crash. For one county to be singled out as more dangerous isn't fair IMHO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

NIMAN wrote: »
    As a Derry man, there is definitely less lawlessness on the roads in Derry.

But I would put a lot of that down to the sheer number of police around in Derry. It's a heavily staffed and resourced force in the north. Not even comparable to the guards in Donegal, which has a tiny fraction of the number of staff for a larger area.

Plus the north had laws which forbade L drivers being unaccompanied. AFAIK, it wasn't against the law for L drivers in Ireland to drive on their own up until recently. If so, absolute madness of course.

Derry has its fair share of careless and bad drivers though , it isn't confined to any one county. I'm not sure what the road deaths figures are for Co Derry.

Don't forget, the tragic crash that claimed 4 lives was still only one accident. It gets more press and media coverage due to 4 people dying. There was other crashes in Ireland in days before and after it that didn't get the latest same coverage cos only one person died. But at the end of the day, a crash is a crash. For one county to be singled out as more dangerous isn't fair IMHO.

Just to correct that, it has always been against the law for an L driver to drive unaccompanied (by a full license driver), no change there. The recent change has made it an offense for the vehicle's owner to allow an L driver to use their vehicle unaccompanied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭blackbox

coastwatch wrote: »
    Just to correct that, it has always been against the law for an L driver to drive unaccompanied (by a full license driver), no change there. The recent change has made it an offense for the vehicle's owner to allow an L driver to use their vehicle unaccompanied.

eh... not quite.

There was a period several years ago when a person on a provisional licence (but not their first one) was permitted to drive unaccompanied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭mazwell

If course you being a Donegal person probably don't agree with any of the facts ref the woeful driving practices bnot in your county-- Donegal country boy attitude on the roads across the county is abysmal - saw it enough in 20 years up there ( Derry) didn't see any of it in Derry itself- wonder why? No unaccompanied L drivers- no bangers on the roads-parental responsibility -better roads- no under age drivers etc,truth hurts?

Get a grip of your head. Sure you're from cork isn't that beside where the Healy raes are from sure shouldn't we all go to the pub and drive home steaming

Disclaimer in case cork donkey doesn't understand sarcasm. I think I have an extremely measured and well thought out response of why we have multiple deaths in accidents. Because it happened beside me. Have manners cork boy and don't try to talk about a county you've never been near or have a clue about

As we say here in West Donegal, still reeling from the loss of 4 of our young men, na bi ag caint

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

mazwell wrote: »
    As we say here in West Donegal, still reeling from the loss of 4 of our young men, na bi ag caint

Yes. Let's not talk about it. An Irish solution to an Irish problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Why not talk about it?
    Of course the area is reeling over the deaths, it should be talked about, discussed in work places, schools, everywhere, to make people aware, to try to stop these senseless deaths happening again.
    4 lives have been wasted and na bi ah caint is the answer?

airy fairy wrote: »
    Why not talk about it?
    Of course the area is reeling over the deaths, it should be talked about, discussed in work places, schools, everywhere, to make people aware, to try to stop these senseless deaths happening again.

Totally agree lets talk about it. Spewing shi-e about parents letting there kids drink and drug drive, drive with no tax or insurance etc and this happens in one county mainly. Totally ****e. Let's talk about it but let's be sensible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Enforcement of the RTA laws is lacking here to my mind anyway.

Just because a place is rural with bad roads should not obviate that.

Everyone up in Donegal knows that they can basically do what they want in certain areas. Well maybe all over the place too.

I do realise that the Gardai cannot be everywhere. But they do not seem to be anywhere until after the fact now.
    This is also true for lots of local roads outside the pale.
    But we were raised with sense and not to take the proverbial.

It's young lads messin that causes the problem, you'll never have 100% police cover of every local boreen and back road. Educate the younger ones, rather than trying to police every back road that may not see a car from one hour to the next.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

coastwatch wrote: »
    Just to correct that, it has always been against the law for an L driver to drive unaccompanied (by a full license driver), no change there.

That's not the way I remember it. I recall there being some strange situation where you didn't need to be accompanied on your 2nd Provo licence but you did on the 3rd and 1st. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

That's not the way I remember it. I recall there being some strange situation where you didn't need to be accompanied on your 2nd Provo licence but you did on the 3rd and 1st. :o

That was exactly it.
    Only on your 2nd you coudl drive alone.

Worth noting that back then it was a provisional licence. Now it is not a license at all, but a learner's permit.

Get a grip of your head. Sure you're from cork isn't that beside where the Healy raes are from sure shouldn't we all go to the pub and drive home steaming
    Muppet that's Kerry ( healy-rae)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

It really shouldn't need to be said that ye should not be getting into a pissing match on this thread.

Four young people died and you two are only having a go at each other. God forbid a family member sees this stupid carry on.

Stephen15 wrote: »
    I know this may sound insenstive and I it's awful that so many young lives are taken on our roads especially in Donegal. I was thinking though why aren't insurance costs through the roof up in Donegal like they are for young drivers for example surely they should be paying more in Donegal if their accident rate is far higher.

If the accident rate in Dublin is far lower than anywhere else in the country which I'm guessing it is as from what I hear on the news is most fatal road accidents are down the country then why aren't insurance costs lower in Dublin. If insurance companies can discriminate based on age and gender then why can't they discriminate based on where you live too.

Insurance costs already are higher in Donegal.

Laois_Man wrote: »
    I know the spot well
    You can imagine the speed they were probably doing belting down this long stretch - or about to head up it - and hitting the bridge

https://www.google.com/maps/@55.1284557,-8.2235123,3a,75y,71.01h,74.24t/data=!3m9!1e1!3m7!1sbwWp83JP8unVd-GCL2UPgQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!9m2!1b1!2i48

Eh, actually, they were just after turning onto that road...

airy fairy wrote: »
    Why not talk about it?

What exactly do you think we should talk about?

It seems to me that a lot of people want to talk about a tragic accident without knowing the facts - but, sure, why let that get in the way of condemning everyone from the 4 very fine young men who died, to their parents (who, btw, are fine, decent, upstanding people), to ALL Donegal drivers - all based on absolutely ZERO evidence.

That accident may, or may not, have been caused by driver error. We don't know, yet.

How very sad, though, that people are so ready to judge and condemn people that they've never met, and know nothing about, before those poor families have even had time to bury their sons, and brothers.

This is a close knit community.
    Allegations that have no evidence to support them, while simultaneously having the ability to add to the grief of those who are already carrying an awful cross, are not generally appreciated.

So, yes, "Ná bí ag caint", is appropriate, in the circumstances.

R.I.P lads. Ye were a joy to have in this community, and a sad loss the day ye left it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

.... I recall there being some strange situation where you didn't need to be accompanied on your 2nd Provo licence but you did on the 3rd and 1st. :o
    The logic for not having to be accompanied on a 2nd provisional licence was to encourage holders to apply and sit a driving test rather than having to revert to being accompanied for 3rd and subsequent provisional licences.

• Advertisement
Advertisement