Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gun Dog Trainers

Options
  • 28-01-2019 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 41

HI all

Looking to get a pointer pup trained ,do any of the members have any recommendations on good gun dog Trainers .Many thanks .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Tikka391

6.5x55 wrote: »
    HI all

Looking to get a pointer pup trained ,do any of the members have any recommendations on good gun dog Trainers .Many thanks .

Hmmm gundog trainers, do you really need to send your dog to be trained?

I know it totally depends on your own circumstances, ie. Work and time etc.

What do you need the dog trained for, a rough shooting dog, or a fully trained field trail competition dog.

I have not used one but I have friends who have with very mixed experiences.
    I think not a lot of time given to give a pup a chance to mature and show it's ability in a training kennel, if he's not showing signs of greatness straightaway then he's only good for sitting in front of the fire.
    Two occasions friends of mine sent dogs to be trained for rough shooting and both times the dogs were sent back with a very clear message. " get rid of this dog it's as thick as pig ****"
    Now I'm no expert but I do train my own dogs for rough shooting type of stuff and know you need to give dogs time to mature. Same as people they catch on to things at different time scales.
    The trainer had them for a while and rushed through them I suppose, because he had a busy kennel he wanted rid. Make room for the next FTC.
    I convinced the owner to keep the pup and spent some on him at home. 7 years later the dog is the best dog he ever had.
    Another example much the same but a different lad it came back to me that he also thought the dog was useless but he kept him training him any way, the kennel was quite at this time and he said he would keep him as long as he could keep getting paid for him.

Before people start attacking me for running down dog trainers. I know there is plenty of very good ones out there but this is just what I have experience of.

Advertisement