Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teeth Whitening questions

• 28-01-2019 11:49am
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 195 ✭✭

Thinking of getting my teeth whitened, they are yellow from excessive tea etc. My local dentist seems to charge €500 for this though, which seems very excessive, is this the going price elsewhere and in Dublin etc? Unfortunately I can't justify this as I'm unemployed at the moment and I don't believe teeth whitening is covered under the medical card. I may go for a check up though for other matters as my teeth are also not as straight due to not wearing my retainer at night.

I've tried those crested stripes before which didn't work really. Do I have any options here but save up for an expensive trip to the dentist or just stick with my yellow teeth? :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭HBC08

Are you looking at the laser option or the whitening tray option?
    From my experience the laser doesn't give great results and is expensive. The tray gives great results but is also pricey enough. I paid €300 and the whiting liquid /syringes are €20 a pop after that. Also this method involves wearing a tray over night, if you don't like your retainer you probably won't like this either.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 195 ✭✭GAA Beo

HBC08 wrote: »
    Are you looking at the laser option or the whitening tray option?
    From my experience the laser doesn't give great results and is expensive. The tray gives great results but is also pricey enough. I paid €300 and the whiting liquid /syringes are €20 a pop after that. Also this method involves wearing a tray over night, if you don't like your retainer you probably won't like this either.
    I think it's the tray option, my brother had it done twice and it wasn't laser. I wouldn't mind paying the 500 if it was one off but my brother needed his done again within 2 years so I can't justify that. 300 seems more reasonable maybe I should shop around? Isn't the tray thing only short term?

I wish I wore my retainer back to a gap in my teeth now and it's tight to fit it on now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭HBC08

When you get the tray you can use it over and over again. I think you have to wear it about 2 weeks at the start and then use it for a day or two to top up.Its basically a gumshield contured exactly to your teeth and you fill it with whitening gel.Ive had mine for a couple of years and use it every now and then. Has worked great for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭NSAman

OK...Where to start. I have had both done and to be honest, the tray with the gels are better.

However, if you have sensitive teeth the gels can be rather annoying. IN Europe the highest whitening gel formula is lower than the USA. It takes longer and the results TBH are better with the higher concentration..(forgive me I dont have that information to hand I think it is 22% and in Europe its something like 10%??) I started off with the 22% and then for maintenance went to the 10%. The gel definitely works and is far cheaper in the long run than the Laser, also as someone said above, you have the trays there to do it again. I used the Philips Zoom system, found it a little tiresome but did the job perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 WardonGordon

• Advertisement
Advertisement