Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus Lane Enforcement

Options
  • 28-01-2019 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hey Guys,

I'm going to be switching job soon which will take me into town on my steed.

Does anyone find bus lane enforcement stricter in town than the suburbs or same story goes, dip in but be ready to dip out if you see the guards?

I remember a Tony Toner BBG article prior to Christmas where he listed one of the benefits of getting on a bike was using buslanes but I'm presuming it was nudge nudge wink wink and not a law change I missed :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

dec_82 wrote: »
    Hey Guys,

I'm going to be switching job soon which will take me into town on my steed.

Does anyone find bus lane enforcement stricter in town than the suburbs or same story goes, dip in but be ready to dip out if you see the guards?

I remember a Tony Toner BBG article prior to Christmas where he listed one of the benefits of getting on a bike was using buslanes but I'm presuming it was nudge nudge wink wink and not a law change I missed :)

Bus lanes can be used outside the hours displayed.

Be careful though as some of them are 24 hour and signage isn’t great

• Registered Users Posts: 11,982 ✭✭✭✭GBX

No law change. I've seen it posted on here/Facebo0k about lads getting pulled in. But that's a rarity. As always, if you are not taking the piss and speeding etc you should be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

I use them everyday, as GBX said once you are not talking the pi$$ and speeding in them some Gardaí will turn a blind eye, have seen them do it a number of times in Fairview. Also if you see a Garda car always best to slow down and not fly past them in the bus lane, don't want to rattle the cage :)

Generally its easier for a bike to move out of the bus lane, so if you are unsure and can see a member of Gardaí ahead best to pull into normal lane if not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

I use the bus lanes in and out of town every day and I'd say I pass the guards set up to pull in people in the bus lane at least 3 times a week but often its many more times than that. I stay in the bus lane and have never had an issue, I've had guards in cars move over to let me pass them multiple times just take it handy and you should be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭draycottgirlz

Blanchy90 wrote: »
    I use the bus lanes in and out of town every day and I'd say I pass the guards set up to pull in people in the bus lane at least 3 times a week but often its many more times than that. I stay in the bus lane and have never had an issue, I've had guards in cars move over to let me pass them multiple times just take it handy and you should be grand

same here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

Blanchy90 wrote: »

Ditto, mostly. Only exception was being waved to get out of bus lane by the Gardaí who were checking for cars in the bus lane. I gave a friendly wave back, moved into the standard lane for 50yards, and then back into the bus lane.

I've had a Gardaí bike filter up past me while in the bus lane too. Funny, he moved into the lane then after and I 'undertook' him again. No issues.

But as above, don't take the piss. Wont take much for a couple of edge cases to get the wrong attention, and for someone to go on a clampdown campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 dec_82

Cheers for the feedback guys

• Registered Users Posts: 31,087 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

It's better to stay in the bus lane than drop in and out of it, because then you're breaking two laws rather than one (the second is undertaking).

This was explained to me by a member of AGS who let me go after a severe bollocking. He also thought I was speeding, although I wasn't, but that's how it can look when the other traffic is slow or stopped and you're pulling away from lights quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,993 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Lumen wrote: »
    It's better to stay in the bus lane than drop in and out of it, because then you're breaking two laws rather than one (the second is undertaking).

This was explained to me by a member of AGS who let me go after a severe bollocking. He also thought I was speeding, although I wasn't, but that's how it can look when the other traffic is slow or stopped and you're pulling away from lights quickly.

It's the swerving that's dangerous. My brother was following another bike filtering through traffic. The other bike was swerving across lanes and my brother was just riding straight, Garda pulled the 1st bike and waved my brother on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Del2005 wrote: »
    It's the swerving that's dangerous. My brother was following another bike filtering through traffic. The other bike was swerving across lanes and my brother was just riding straight, Garda pulled the 1st bike and waved my brother on.

Not sure why exactly they were pulled over but bear in mind that law the Lumen is referring to is that you can't cross the bus lane road marking until it is broken, meaning in most cases, you only enter and exit the bus lane at the start and end.

I ride in the bus lanes all the time and pass the guards regularly, never had an issue and I always ensure I'm not in hooligan mode.

• Advertisement

Del2005 wrote: »

Filtering is also fairly hazardous. The bus lane is generally a good place to be because you have good visibility, low traffic, and options if you get cut up.

Also, one person's "swerve" is another's "efficient lane change". I remember when I first came to Ireland my then future wife telling me to stop swerving on the motorway. I patiently explained that moving back to lane 1 when I'd finished overtaking was called "lane discipline" where I was from. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I'm riding in bus lanes every day, to and from work. I've been lit up (blue lights) once, but I think they were just in a hurry somewhere. They weren't running with lights when they came up behind me, they lit me up, I moved out, they drove by, and nothing more. I think they were late for shift change or something. :D

But, I've passed many checkpoints, and passed many times where they were stopping cars in the bus lane. I've never been stopped.

As long as you ride safely, don't take the p1ss, you're generally fine. But, by the letter of the law, using the bus lane is illegal except during specified times. You'd need to catch a Guard having a very bad day to be pulled for it.

sonyvision wrote: »

Some footage over the last number of months.

Here's a good example just posted recently in the dash cam thread. Scooter nips past the bus lane check point.

Thankfully it's in the first clip otherwise you'd be bored to tears watching drivers in the wrong lane.

There were two fairly major shunts on the suburban N11 southbound last night, the first had emergency services in attendance and the second one I was a witness to.

The second incident involved stopped traffic in the first two lanes as cars were making inept lane changes before an exit. A car just ploughed into the stopped car to the right of me.

It was dark but otherwise conditions were perfect.

This has strengthened my desire to stay keep myself as segregated from car traffic as possible. I really don't fancy being rear ended. Despite the slagging that the gardai get, it pleases me enormously to live in a country where they are prepared to turn a blind eye for the sake of safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,072 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

This law is a complete ass and most Gardai have the sense to see that

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I've been waved into them before by gardai! But as everyone says, don't take the píss and you'll be fine. Stick to speed limits. I was stopped but it was a tax checkpoint, they never even mentioned the bus lane

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

I've gone around Dame Street (buses and taxis only), when they were pulling cars for doing it, Cops acted like I was invisible.

They'd rather see you in the bus lane (that you can exit speedily if needed), than be scraping you off the N11.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 snootsnoot

Jaden wrote: »
    I've gone around Dame Street (buses and taxis only), when they were pulling cars for doing it, Cops acted like I was invisible.

They'd rather see you in the bus lane (that you can exit speedily if needed), than be scraping you off the N11.

Same on N4, Pulling cars no problem but looked straight past me and the 2 bikes ahead and one behind me, just take it handy in them and they don't seem to have a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Colm17RvB

Got pulled there last year for being in the bus lane during hours by a garda biker, pulled up and he was all stern and waving his finger about but was speaking really calmly saying this is only for display for the cars passing by, I asked could I have a smoke he said sure, so I had a smoke and continued to get what appeared to road users as a lecture from him while we're actually just having a chat. When I pulled off it was after 7 so went straight back into the bus lane and waved at him as I went off.

Long story short, don't take the piss and be nice if you get pulled cos it is technically illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭2shea

GBX wrote: »
    No law change. I've seen it posted on here/Facebo0k about lads getting pulled in. But that's a rarity. As always, if you are not taking the piss and speeding etc you should be ok.

This. Don't take the piss or do something daft and you will be fine. Used with garda bike infront of me or behind me meny times without issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

If they ever did decide to enforce the law I don't think it'd be worth biking in the city would be worth it anymore such are the levels of traffic. Bus lanes are a huge time saver. Plus I don't mind biking in the rain but if you couldn't make progress and are getting wet sitting still jammed in traffic then its just not worth it imo. Thankfully so long as you don't act the d1ck in bus lanes then you're okay.

Also if you are ever knocked off your bike in a bus lane don't think you're at fault for illegally being there. There has been court cases before where drivers have tried to use the excuse that the biker was breaking the law so therefore they are not liable but judges look beyond that when deciding liability. The excuse doesn't stack up but it will likely be used against you as part of any defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Im a bus driver. Garda dont give a sh1te who uses them. Would be odd to see anyone get pulled let alone bikes.

I use both cycle and bus lanes on my commute. for years. Never an issue as long as you dont act the maggot.

It's more likely to become legal than be enforced. Many cities in the UK allow motorbikes use the bus lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

As said, don't be an ass, and you'll be grand.

Also, contraflow bus lanes are no go for motorbikes, seen a few lads on motorbikes in them recently to take a short cut. Not a great idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

I'd say if they ever decided to enforce it, they would quickly legalise it, as I would predict a massive rise in accidents with motorcycles, just my two cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭2shea

colm_c wrote: »
    As said, don't be an ass, and you'll be grand.

Also, contraflow bus lanes are no go for motorbikes, seen a few lads on motorbikes in them recently to take a short cut. Not a great idea.

Christ no! don't ever do that. I have seen a few pleb doing that lately. Then fools will ruin it for us all as they will ban all use.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭kavanagh_h

If anything happens in the bus lane then you are in the wrong. Someone recently said to be " its okay to use them until its not okay". That basically sums it up

kavanagh_h wrote: »
    If anything happens in the bus lane then you are in the wrong. Someone recently said to be " its okay to use them until its not okay". That basically sums it up

That's pretty broad. If there's an incident in the bus lane the same rules apply as if you were in a normal lane, nothing changes because you were in a bus lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

zubair wrote: »
    That's pretty broad. If there's an incident in the bus lane the same rules apply as if you were in a normal lane, nothing changes because you were in a bus lane.

I think it more means that if there's an incident with a bus, then you're at fault immediately for being in the bus lane.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I think it more means that if there's an incident with a bus, then you're at fault immediately for being in the bus lane.

So a bus runs rear ends you you're automatically at fault?.. Don't be silly.

Right and wrong doesn't change according to whether you should be in a bus lane or not.

Advertisement