Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus Lane Enforcement

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,993 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I think it more means that if there's an incident with a bus, then you're at fault immediately for being in the bus lane.

Nope. The fact that someone is breaking a law does not absolve other people from their responsibility. If you are in the bus lane then you may be given a partial liability but it would be tiny compared to the person who committed the bigger offence of entering a lane already occupied.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭Wossack

only break one law at a time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Wossack wrote: »
    only break one law at a time

Best advice yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Nodster

Soon after the bus lane law became enforced in the early 80's, I got nabbed and ended up in court. When the judge heard I had tax, licence and insurance he dismissed the case and gave the rookie cop a bollicking (seems I wasn't the first biker up on the same charge that morning)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Can't post a link to this as its probably too long ago. I remember reading a case where a guy riding in the bus lane hit a car that had driven across him to enter private property. I think it was in Ballsbridge. Anyway, the car driver claimed the accident wouldn't have occurred if the motorbike wasn't illegally in the bus lane. The judge agreed and split the difference,I think it was 40% culpability for the biker. It was very relevant to me at the time as I used to ride that route every morning, so I was REAL cautious after that.

About 10 years ago I was in the bus lane in Fairview, approaching Edge's Corner from Clontarf. At the last minute I spot the bike Garda hiding, and looked to see if I'd be able to slip into the traffic. Wasn't having it. He pulled me in and bollocked me from a height. And it wasn't for show either. Still, didn't get done or anything, but I was bristling afterwards. He kept me there for about 5 minutes, and when he let me go, none of the so-and-sos's in the traffic would let me enter the lane, and he didn't make them either.:pac:

BTW, it was a Honda Deauville, so I wasn't breaking any records.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

About 10 years ago I was in the bus lane in Fairview, approaching Edge's Corner from Clontarf. At the last minute I spot the bike Garda hiding, and looked to see if I'd be able to slip into the traffic. Wasn't having it. He pulled me in and bollocked me from a height. And it wasn't for show either. Still, didn't get done or anything, but I was bristling afterwards. He kept me there for about 5 minutes, and when he let me go, none of the so-and-sos's in the traffic would let me enter the lane, and he didn't make them either.:pac:

BTW, it was a Honda Deauville, so I wasn't breaking any records.

That's mad, Garda car with 2 Gardaí checking for cars in the bus lane this morning and yesterday morning in Fariview at the same spot, just before the bend at Edges corner heading into town.
    Both mornings 1 Garda had a car pulled in and the other was standing checking the bus lane and just looked right past me and at least 2 to 3 other bikes.
    In fairness I slowed down below the speed limit so as not to take the absolute pi$$

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭unattendedbag

It's not really that surprising. Most people with common sense realise that it's not the motorbikes holding up the traffic causing congestion and blocking the bus lanes at the end. Plow on.

Also it's only a €60 fine. No penalty points

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

I've been using the bus lanes on my commute for over 12 years. Never once been stopped. Waved on plenty of times. Chatted to garda bikers at the lights plenty of times too.

Seen plenty of lads on bikes being stopped, mostly because they were riding like an ass, not because of being in the bus lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Yeah, my experience above was a once off. On the same stretch some time afterwards, saw a different garda checking the bus lane. As I approached, he coincidentally turned to look in the opposite direction, so he obviously didn't notice me as I approached. Which was handy!

I'd say over the years I encountered Gardai in the bus lanes less than a dozen times, with just that one stop. And funnily enough, I don't think I've ever seen another bike pulled in. I was commuting across the city for about 15 years.

My experience is historical, insofar as I haven't motorcycled to work in about 5 years.

edit to add: I mention the historical aspect, just to emphasise that I don't know the current state of play regarding the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭MSVforever

I saw them pulling over bikes on the Long Mile road in the last 2 weeks. They're usually around the Toyota dealership. I think it's pot luck if you get pulled or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

It's not really that surprising. Most people with common sense realise that it's not the motorbikes holding up the traffic causing congestion and blocking the bus lanes at the end. Plow on.

Also it's only a €60 fine. No penalty points

Really?

Edit: As far as I can see you're absolutely right. I did not know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,072 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

MSVforever wrote: »
    I saw them pulling over bikes on the Long Mile road in the last 2 weeks. They're usually around the Toyota dealership. I think it's pot luck if you get pulled or not.

I go by there every day on the bike and have never seen guards there at all.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭2shea

I haven't used the bike to commute in Dublin in 5 years as I'm working in kildare now, but as I have said I have been in the bus lane with guards infront of me behind and stopped at lights with bike nil issue only a nod of the head.

Last summer in the bus lane on the blood bike I got asked at the lights do you ever use the blues on that, to which I said know I'm not trained for it. He laughed and said what's the point so. I just said I think it mostly used in shopping centres for fund raising and drawing attention. Any run ins I have with traffic bikes is awasys been good. got to sit on the new R1200RTP and got the full run down on it and apparently not all bike garda can ride them as they are regarded as high performance which means extra training.

They are looking for something replace the Deauville and I think he said They Were testing the belt-drive f800GT . He was a Mayo man so naturally he was sound :)

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭KildareMan

2shea wrote: »
    I haven't used the bike to commute in Dublin in 5 years as I'm working in kildare now, but as I have said I have been in the bus lane with guards infront of me behind and stopped at lights with bike nil issue only a nod of the head.

Last summer in the bus lane on the blood bike I got asked at the lights do you ever use the blues on that, to which I said know I'm not trained for it. He laughed and said what's the point so. I just said I think it mostly used in shopping centres for fund raising and drawing attention. Any run ins I have with traffic bikes is awasys been good. got to sit on the new R1200RTP and got the full run down on it and apparently not all bike garda can ride them as they are regarded as high performance which means extra training.

They are looking for something replace the Deauville and I think he said They Were testing the belt-drive f800GT . He was a Mayo man so naturally he was sound :)

Ther's 2 levels of bike Gardai, the Deauville and the BMW. I think the Deauville level is District and the BMW is Regional (not 100% on regional, just that it's advanced)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

I followed a BMW traffic bike all the way into town today in the bus lane without issue. We both kept religiously to the speed limit though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

iwillhtfu wrote: »

Speed was the problem here.

Would have been fine otherwise.

That falls into the category of being an ass in the bus lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

colm_c wrote: »
    Speed was the problem here.

Would have been fine otherwise.

That falls into the category of being an ass in the bus lane.

I was thinking the same myself but goes to show it may be overlooked but there are exceptions,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Given there's no traffic in the image, I'd guess this chap was tearing down the bus lane and undertaking in moving traffic. Personally I only use them in congested traffic where otherwise I would have to filter, whichever is safer or faster.

Advertisement