Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property Tax new build

Options
  • 28-01-2019 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all. I got the keys to my new home in December 2017. I don't seem to have gotten anything from revenue to do with property tax yet which I assume i am liable for.

Does anyone know what the story is with LPT? Do I have to register with revenue or do they come to me? What are my obligations with respect to LPT?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

I thought new builds were exempt until next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

new builds do not pay property tax, because they did not exist at the "valuation date" which is the date 3/4 years ago on which all property was valued for property tax purposes. there is likely to be a new valuation date later this year, or perhaps from this year on property will be valued annually.

Similarly if you doubled the size of your house by building a large extension in recent years, you would continue to pay property tax on the value of the house as it was on the valuation date and would not take account of the enhancement coming from the extension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Simple_Simone

Hi all. I got the keys to my new home in December 2017. I don't seem to have gotten anything from revenue to do with property tax yet which I assume i am liable for.

Does anyone know what the story is with LPT? Do I have to register with revenue or do they come to me? What are my obligations with respect to LPT?

As far as I know you're exempt from LPT until until 2020.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/buyers-of-new-homes-to-escape-property-tax-until-2019-1.2457935

• Registered Users Posts: 2 whoisthebagman

Thanks, I wasn't aware of the exemption.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Is this also the case for one off new builds? Seems a bit crazy that the government wouldn't be collecting a tax like this if they had the chance to.

• Advertisement
Advertisement