Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raspberry Pi Power

Options
  • 28-01-2019 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

How do I get permanently on, 5v power in my attic?
    Do I bring 220v up and use a transformer in situ or do I bring up previously stepped down low voltage cabling?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Are you basically asking should you install a socket in the attic or run a long USB cable up?

Depends on your setup. If there's a socket downstairs that's close to where you're putting the Pi I'd probably just run a longish, high quality USB cable from downstairs. You wouldn't want to go more than a few metres though as the voltage drop could make the Pi unusable.

Might be a better option overall to install a socket upstairs in case you ever wanted to plug in anything more than a Pi, it's just slightly more complicated and expensive than running a low voltage cable up. That gives you the most flexibility.

PoE might be an option if you're running an Ethernet cable up for the Pi anyway.

Advertisement