Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laudamotion Fleet

Options
  • 28-01-2019 3:16pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know what fleet Laudamotion are using at the moment and will be using in the upcoming months? Also what seats they can recommend booking on one of their flights?

I will be taking a flight from Kiev to Vienna in early February and FR24 seems to suggest it will be a 737 (route doesn't start until 1st Feb), which sounds wrong as I thought that they were using Airbus aircraft rather than hiring some from Ryanair, as a sister company

Anyone with any experiences most welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Laudamotion is wet leasing Ryanair 737's. You do see Ryanair's in TXL and DUS regularly flying for Laudamotion

They have orders in for A320's due in 2019

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Strange one this, I flew to Vienna with Laudamotion in December and we were due to fly on an Airbus which has 37 rows I think and they sold it as such but on the day we got a Ryanair 737 and the whole thing was a bit of a nightmare as people were assigned seats past row 33. Everyone got seated in the end but it was some mess, particularly as the flight was full of incredibly rude and louty Scots going over for a Rangers match, calling the flight attendants (trying their best to sort out a problem that wasn't their fault I might add) c*nts and all manner of stuff.

Looked at the Flight Radar app at the time and about 90% of the recent flights were Lauda Airbus planes with the odd Ryanair 737 thrown in. Not sure why they were subbing it in from time to time, maybe there were problems with the plane at the time but who knows. For all intents and purposes though, we were on a Ryanair flight that day.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Laudamotion is wet leasing Ryanair 737's. You do see Ryanair's in TXL and DUS regularly flying for Laudamotion

They have orders in for A320's due in 2019

Quite interesting alright, because when I go to pick a seat right now on the flight I get a strange layout that looks a bit like an A321 (if it's an A320 it must be pretty high density for the 37 rows it has).

My worry is that I'll end up paying extra for a seat and end up getting something totally different when a 737 turns up.

Laudamotion does have some A321's on its books currently and in dense config you would get 37 rows.

Its certified to 220 passengers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

devnull wrote: »
    Quite interesting alright, because when I go to pick a seat right now on the flight I get a strange layout that looks a bit like an A321 (if it's an A320 it must be pretty high density for the 37 rows it has).

My worry is that I'll end up paying extra for a seat and end up getting something totally different when a 737 turns up.

I'd recommend booking something between row 1 - 33 to be safe. I had 2 seats in row 28 i think when I had booked and there were 2 lads sitting in my seat (who obviously had 34 - 37) and I just asked them to move as they were my seats. Chances are you may well end up on an Airbus anyway if the situation is similar to what happened to us but better to be safe I guess and if it looks like a 737 on the day just get in the queue early to ensure there's no issue.

• Advertisement

Laudamotion does have some A321's on its books currently and in dense config you would get 37 rows.

Its certified to 220 passengers

Being 6ft3 I'd like to avoid the densest rows, hence my worry, since there is talk some of them are in two class configuration still!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

6 LDM flights in the air at the minute, 2x A320, 1 A321 and 3 FR 738s

• Registered Users Posts: 11,957 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Laudamotion Announces Ryanair Acquires 100% Shareholding

Lauda commits to 24 aircraft in S19 & signs LOI to grow to 30 aircraft in S20
    Lauda traffic to grow from 4m in year 1 to 6m in year 2
    Laudamotion, Austria’s No. 1 low fares airline, today (29 Jan) confirmed that Ryanair has completed the purchase of 100% shareholding in Laudamotion GmbH from NL Holdings in late December. Laudamotion now becomes a 100% subsidiary of Ryanair Holdings Plc, the Group which owns Europe’s largest airline.

With the support of Ryanair Holdings, Laudamotion today announces a series of exciting growth initiatives, which includes:

Increasing Lauda’s fleet to 25 aircraft in summer ’19 (from 19 in S2018). Lauda today announces that it has signed LOI agreements with a number of lessors which will increase its Summer ’20 fleet to 30 – all Airbus – aircraft, which will allow Lauda to grow its traffic from 4m guests in year 1 to 6m guests in year 2 (FY March 2020) to 7.5m guests in FY March 2021.
    This summer, Laudamotion will operate 4 bases as it grows in Vienna from 4 to 8 aircraft, Dusseldorf 7 aircraft, Stuttgart 3 aircraft, and Palma 2 aircraft. In winter 2019, the Vienna base will increase further to 11 aircraft, making Laudamotion Vienna’s No.2 airline, just behind Austrian Airlines. Laudamotion is releasing the first part of its winter 2019 flight schedules today, offering passengers lower fares and more frequencies, from Vienna in particular. Details of up to 20 new routes from Vienna, Stuttgart, Dusseldorf, and Palma, will be announced in the next month or two once airport and handling negotiations have been successfully completed.
    Laudamotion today announced details of up to 400 new jobs for pilots, cabin crew, and engineers across its 4 bases. It also unveiled details of its new Head Office (at Concorde Business Park), which it will move into in March 2019, and released details of a 250,000 seat sale with fares starting from €19.99 one way for travel in Feb, Mar, Apr and May from Vienna, Stuttgart, and Dusseldorf bases.
    Speaking in Vienna today, Laudamotion’s CEO, Andreas Gruber, said:

“With the backing of Ryanair, Laudamotion is set to grow strongly over the next 3 years to carry 10m passengers p.a. We will release details of up to 20 new routes for winter 2019 once we have completed our airport and handling negotiations by the end of March. Our summer ’19 program will allow us to carry 6m passengers in year 2, a growth rate of 50% over the 4m carried in year 1, as we continue to offer our customers in Vienna, Stuttgart, Dusseldorf and Palma the lowest air fares on a fleet of young Airbus aircraft with widespread passenger appeal and great Lauda service.”
    https://corporate.ryanair.com/news/laudamotion-announces-ryanair-acquires-100-shareholding/?fbclid=IwAR2xabLxI3z4wN46FX4bY53kPn9R_As6H_AM4dOC1AsPGMsJt0xtfMEKYK8

• Registered Users Posts: 34,706 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Every other airline Ryanair bought got subsumed into the parent brand and fleet, why not this one?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Its probably down to the Austrians

1. Still loving travel agents
    2. Nikki Laudia is a huge local name and a qualified pilot who flew for Nikki

Or Ryanair want leverage with Boeing next time round by pointing out they have A32x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,691 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Austrian AOC useful for certain routes and keeping an Airbus fleet separate would be the two main reasons I'd see

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

Boeing have a very strong aircraft orderbook so they aren't beholden to Ryanair.

They will not allow themselves to be, as O'Leary ever so subtly put it after his 2002 order, "We raped the phuckers!"

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

Every other airline Ryanair bought got subsumed into the parent brand and fleet, why not this one?

MOL has publicly stated that he wants FR to become a group of airlines and there will be most likely other small acquisitions. He wants relatable brands in each region i.e. Ryanair for Ireland, Lauda for Austria who knows maybe Alitalia for Italy, Eurowings for Germany etc...

Airbus will become more relevant for Ryanair in the future and this is an excellent way to start the flirtation and mend a few of the war wounds from years gone by

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭VG31

MOL has publicly stated that he wants FR to become a group of airlines and there will be most likely other small acquisitions. He wants relatable brands in each region i.e. Ryanair for Ireland, Lauda for Austria who knows maybe Alitalia for Italy, Eurowings for Germany etc...

I can't see why Lufthansa would want to sell Eurowings to Ryanair (or anyone).

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

VG31 wrote: »
    I can't see why Lufthansa would want to sell Eurowings to Ryanair (or anyone).

Examples.

This is aviation - strange things happen - BA/GO - KLM/BUZZ etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

As Ryanair becomes more toxic for passengers diversification is a good thing. I know people who will gladly pay double or stay at home than fly with Ryanair. They change the rule book for carryon baggage and charges every six months or so and are as clear as mud in this regard. I myself still fly with them and never had any problems but this move is good for Ryanair as they can tap new markets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rivegauche

Well here are 25 delivery slots that Ryanair(or IAG) could pounce on for their fleets.
    https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/germania/germania-expects-first-of-25-a320neos-on-order-to-be-delivered-from-january-2020/
    They had 15 options also.

There is a lot of positivity toward Laudamotion/LaudaAir/Niki in DACH region even though the website is just a wrapper for a Ryanair booking engine.

They've eaten 140m of losses so far so hopefully it is going in to a good solid footprint for Ryanair in DACH.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rivegauche

and they are going after those 25 NEOs which Germania are not able to take.

http://www.airliners.de/lauda-motion-neos/48839
    German report.

It also noted at the very bottom that Tegel was handed over to Ryanair. Unions won't know how to handle Ryanair Group if they pass airports from one brand to another.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

rivegauche wrote: »
    and they are going after those 25 NEOs which Germania are not able to take.

http://www.airliners.de/lauda-motion-neos/48839
    German report.

It also noted at the very bottom that Tegel was handed over to Ryanair. Unions won't know how to handle Ryanair Group if they pass airports from one brand to another.

Tegal flights are operated by Ryanair aircraft and crew already so in effect nothing will change other than the flightnumbers.

All of this is just a reshuffle of resources now that Laudamotion is a 100% subsidiary of Ryanair. Laudamotion will have a significant market share in selected markets and avoid unnecessary competition with Ryanair.

I got stung flying back from Vienna in December.

Priority boarding was full, but it didn't give me the option to check in a 10kilo case (as per the new rules) so I contacted them via their bot. They added the bags for €10 each, as is the standard Ryanair policy, only for me to get to the gate and see lots of people either taking their bags on board, or checking them in for free at the gate.

It seems that even though it was booked through the Ryanair site and was a Ryanair plane with Ryanair staff, the usual Ryanair policies may not apply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭LeChienMefiant

I think Ryanair might be a bit lax in general on the rules at the moment? They're in the middle of a fare war.

Aegir wrote: »
    I got stung flying back from Vienna in December.

Priority boarding was full, but it didn't give me the option to check in a 10kilo case (as per the new rules) so I contacted them via their bot. They added the bags for €10 each, as is the standard Ryanair policy, only for me to get to the gate and see lots of people either taking their bags on board, or checking them in for free at the gate.

It seems that even though it was booked through the Ryanair site and was a Ryanair plane with Ryanair staff, the usual Ryanair policies may not apply.

Whose plane you are using is irrelevant, if you book onto a Ryanair flight, Ryanair rules apply and if you book onto a Lauda plane than Lauda rules apply, regardless of who the aircraft belongs to.

Just had a couple of flights with Lauda in the last week and a few comments

OE-LCS which is a 16 year old ex Air Berlin / Nikki A321, wouldn't think it was that age, looks like it's recently had a light refresh, Lauda seat top covers stuck on with Velcro, good leg-room, and really excellent cabin crew (6 of them).

OE-LOM which is a 12 year old ex Turkish Airlines A320. This was flawless inside and must have had a deep clean and retrim recently (new leather smell) as well as having a repaint in the new Lauda livery. You could easily mistake it for something brand new - are they refurbishing planes also as they are repainted?

They seem to be in a process of transitioning to more Ryanair ways of doing things - the menu and duty free shopping is now basically the same magazine as Ryanair but with a couple of localised pages and prices in Euros and in German and English and Lauda logos rather than Ryanair and luggage to the same soon I was told.

Communication between cockpit and crew seems a little different - most things on Lauda are done by combinations of bells rather than spoken words and a few differences to procedures - be interesting to see if they standardise apart from on the things where it has to be different between Boeing and Airbus.

devnull wrote: »
    Whose plane you are using is irrelevant, if you book onto a Ryanair flight, Ryanair rules apply and if you book onto a Lauda plane than Lauda rules apply, regardless of who the aircraft belongs to.

all done through Ryanair.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Is this the most serious Ryanair incident to date?

Is this the most serious Ryanair incident to date?

Calling it a Ryanair incident is a bit of a stretch, they use a different fleet, that are maintained by different people, with their own CEO and have their own operations procedures. They might share the same website and booking engine but from my experiences with both airlines there's still a lot different between the two.

Whatever has happened would probably have happened if Ryanair had full control of them or not and remember the whole fleet is second hand, so hasn't had the benefit of being maintained by the same airline all it's life, unlike the Ryanair fleet which has, which may suggest that Ryanair maintenance standards are higher than the airlines whose planes Laudamotion have inherited.

It's the Ryanair share price that will be affected come Monday morning. Ryanair group incident I should say perhaps.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

The most serious Ryanair incident was the hull loss after a bird strike in Rome in 2008. Much more serious than this (non Ryanair) incident.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Evacuate order given, and everyone in the picture has jackets, bags and wheelie cases...….. :eek:

Advertisement