Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

efficient use of oil & radiators

Options
  • 28-01-2019 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi,
    Hoping for some advice - sorry if someone already has this post up!
    We have oil heating and just got it topped up by 100euro We are out of the house til about 6/8pm most days, i usually set it for an hour in the evening but some people say to space the time out
    What is the best way to use/time it efficiently and ensure the house is warm too?
    Thx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

If the purpose is to heat the house just before you get home , then having a boiler on during the day to heat an empty house is probably not the most efficient use of your oil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

student89 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Hoping for some advice - sorry if someone already has this post up!
    We have oil heating and just got it topped up by 100euro We are out of the house til about 6/8pm most days, i usually set it for an hour in the evening but some people say to space the time out
    What is the best way to use/time it efficiently and ensure the house is warm too?
    Thx
    What price per litre are you paying for the oil

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Tom44

€100 will only give you (roughly) 40 hours heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭serox_21

stoneill wrote: »
    If the purpose is to heat the house just before you get home , then having a boiler on during the day to heat an empty house is probably not the most efficient use of your oil.

I think the best way is to keep the house temperature constant over time(maybe with small fluctuation 1-2 degrees)

If your house gets cold during the day it will take a while to get up to temperature and also there is a greater risk of getting mold. Walls won't get worm and once the boiler is off it will cool much faster.

Advertisement