Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Approaching someone to sell

Options
  • 28-01-2019 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭

This is a bit of an odd question, Myself and my wife to be are looking at buying a house, our plan is to buy one near our home place. We were having a look a round last time we were home at local properties as theres a few on the market. We're in no rush to buy really this is more a within the next few years kind of plan.

After looking around at what was for for sale and for what kind of money my fiancée mentioned a cottage up the road that's empty aside from occasionally being used as a holiday home by the owners family in England.

This would be our perfect property a small cottage with space for an extension and an acre of land with it, It's not currently on the market but it was few years ago (the owner didn't get a good enough offer for it during the recession) Now the owner would be an acquaintance of my parents so basically I'm wondering would it be ridiculously cheeky to ask him about selling it or should we just wait and see if it comes onto the market again in a few years

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Ask away.

No harm at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

All they can say is no, I'd ask for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

not cheeky at all.

ask them if they are interested in selling still, and if so, at what price.

worst thing that can happen is they offer it up for sale at too high a price.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Tomw86

Absolutely, ask away.

Obviously if it can done without an estate agent that's saving a few quid as well.

Advertisement