Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we talk about AH?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

Well, this is a feedback thread about AH. It would be a short thread if the response to any criticism was “If you don’t like AH, don’t visit it”. What’s the point in having those occasional feedback threads on various sub-forums on the site if that’s the apparent solution?

Yeah, I guess. Perhaps I was a bit sharp. But if something annoyed me as much and caused me to feel such contempt as conveyed in the post, I'd just let it go. What's the point in going there if it's so horrible?

I don't know why people just don't scroll past the stuff that is deliberately annoying. There are always going to be people who register just to post some BS, always going to be people who get stuck in on some silly point, always going to be people who say rotten things - there is no way to control others to the extent that we can avoid annoyance. People are always going to have profoundly different opinions than we find acceptable. If that is unbearable or infuriating to some then perhaps it's not good for them to go there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

I think both jmayo and osarusan make good points.

At the heart of what bothers people seems to be dismissal and downplaying and throwing out labels (whether it's "racist" or "snowflake") often with very little cause, and not actually taking on board what people say (even if that's just to debate back) simply because of disagreeing with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Why say that they're white? What relevance does that have? On English language forums the majority will be white.

The term white as used for Irish people is meaningless Americanised gibberish in any case. Interesting who thanked that post though.

He said a bit more than that, in fairness:

All the lazy stereotypes...

Funny enough in that thread I pointed out that the most racist part of Ireland, if travellers are a race, is the leafy suburbs of Dublin. This caused one lad to accuse me of being a Russian spy in any number of increasingly deranged posts.

The term white as used for Irish people is meaningless Americanised gibberish in any case.
    It's a weird self loathing thing that is completely unnecessary.

So what if the most angry people on this forum (most of its members are male) are men and white - would it be better if they were white women or black men?

• Advertisement

All the lazy stereotypes...
    What's "lazy" about them?

This is what I don't like about AH (or any similar forum) - making statements that just are not true because of one's political leanings, whether it's from the left or right.

Some points of view are considered right-wing or left-wing but they're not any "wing" when they're just statements of fact.

It's a weird self loathing thing that is completely unnecessary.

So what if the most angry people on this forum (most of its members are male) are men and white - would it be better if they were white women or black men?

It’s not that. We have literally nothing in common with white Americans except skin colour. They have their history, and we have ours. Both are totally different.

It’s not that. We have literally nothing in common with white Americans except skin colour. They have their history, and we have ours. Both are totally different.
    And even then, it irks me when I see "Wah wah white people" on American based discussions. Making sweeping statements based on race is not reasonable, no matter what the history of the race in question.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,006 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Zorya wrote: »
    Maybe AH is not the place for you then?

If I don't like something I usually leave it alone. I think that's what regular people do in real life.

1604088554-Edmund-Burke-Quote.png

1604088554-Edmund-Burke-Quote.png

Quote War! Yeah, baby!!!
    “If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956
    :cool:

Your turn.

• Advertisement

Quote War! Yeah, baby!!!

:cool:

Your turn.

I didn't say anything about separating or destroying. You seem to be countering an argument that hasn't actually been made..

I didn't say anything about separating or destroying. You seem to be countering an argument that hasn't actually been made..

You're quote actually sums up one of the dangerous attitudes of modern times - it presumes that you/your side are/is good and the ''other'' is evil. Mr S's quote tells what is closer to the truth - evil and good coexist in everyone. I am a bit evil. I know this. I accept it. Sometimes my evil bursts out and other times I keep it on a leash, hopefully most of the time. To presume in the context of an ephemeral digital discussion forum that you are inevitably the ''good'' side, intervening to stop evil, is ...well...not good.

But on the broader subject of suppression of speech etc that is at the heart of the AH feedback here I saw some interesting graphs this morning. I know they're American but ...shucks. It's a kind of left/right divide thing that I think seems to hold true in other places, including in Europe. And certainly seems to be representative of opinion here, even. Some people want suppression, others don't and it is highly age related, which is weird. The oldies seem to be able to bear up listening to other people's BS pretty well.

Dz9neRzWoAEM8Xu.png
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dz9neRzWoAEM8Xu.png

Dz9nbRlXcAApZfU.png
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dz9nbRlXcAApZfU.png

Dz9nT_UXcAIIBka.png
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dz9nT_UXcAIIBka.png

Dz9nQnsXQAAeGhq.png
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dz9nQnsXQAAeGhq.png

You're quote actually sums up one of the dangerous attitudes of modern times - it presumes that you/your side are/is good and the ''other'' is evil. Mr S's quote tells what is closer to the truth - evil and good coexist in everyone. I am a bit evil. I know this. I accept it. Sometimes my evil bursts out and other times I keep it on a leash, hopefully most of the time. To presume in the context of an ephemeral digital discussion forum that you are inevitably the ''good'' side, intervening to stop evil, is ...well...not good.

But on the broader subject of suppression of speech etc that is at the heart of the AH feedback here I saw some interesting graphs this morning. I know they're American but ...shucks. It's a kind of left/right divide thing that I think seems to hold true in other places, including in Europe. And certainly seems to be representative of opinion here, even. Some people want suppression, others don't and it is highly age related, which is weird. The oldies seem to be able to bear up listening to other people's BS pretty well.

Dz9neRzWoAEM8Xu.png
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dz9neRzWoAEM8Xu.png

Dz9nbRlXcAApZfU.png
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dz9nbRlXcAApZfU.png

Dz9nT_UXcAIIBka.png
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dz9nT_UXcAIIBka.png

Dz9nQnsXQAAeGhq.png
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dz9nQnsXQAAeGhq.png

That’s the end of free speech right there. You’d think it would be the cornerstone of democracy.

That’s the end of free speech right there. You’d think it would be the cornerstone of democracy.

Haha yeah the worrying slide through the age groups towards the edge of the precipice.. :)

Haha yeah the worrying slide through the age groups towards the edge of the precipice.. :)

Even the older religious support more free speech than the younger religious. 20 times as much at the extremes. (The question is about “your religion”). As goes America, so goes the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

Even the older religious support more free speech than the younger religious. 20 times as much at the extremes. (The question is about “your religion”). As goes America, so goes the world.

The older generations grew up witnessing vigorous debate in a public sphere, where exposure to contradictory views was inescapable. But that public sphere has, over the last couple of decades, largely been replaced by self-selecting social media bubbles. Algorithms on sites like Facebook ensure that people now see the stories their like-minded peers are seeing, not stories that might contradict their opinions. If a dissenting view does appear, it can be blocked or unfollowed at a touch of a button. In education, high school teachers and college professors are pressured into assigning books that affirm, rather than challenge, their students' beliefs and sensitivities.

In Ireland, young people grow up witnessing RTE, the rest of the media, and the political and academic establishments toeing a specific party line on issues such as immigration, abortion, social welfare, Travellers, and so on. Then, when they come to AH and find that there exist posters who aren't drinking the Montrose Kool-Aid, the reaction is often one of horror -- how can these opinions be allowed to exist? -- followed by calls for censorship.

Notably, too, posters who have happily and vigorously participated in threads campaigning for the legalization of gay marriage or abortion are the first to appear in Feedback whinging when the same forum is used to question policy on immigration or Travellers.

It's not that they don't want to see political threads -- they only want to see political threads that support their views.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭KyussB

The reason people want to censor views they don't agree with and view as 'dangerous', is because those espousing many of those views will be engaging in bad faith, using propaganda tactics and dishonest methods of argument to try and create an echo chamber of their own views, impervious to reasoned argument.

If Boards adopted a policy of carefully identifying bad faith argument - where it becomes increasingly obvious the poster is engaging in forms of argument that are dishonest, and (after a lot of tactful/careful nudging from mods to knock it out, making pains to avoid being ban-happy) then excises those posters from the forum, or better, simply limits their frequency of posting - that is probably the best form of moderation that you can apply to political discussion, as it directly targets propagandists.

This is not a very common form of moderation, and it's not an easy one to implement, as naturally a lot of moderators/people will suspect bad faith from those who hold views different from their own - but I've seen it deployed effectively on smaller political blogs, to try and excise the worst propagandists - and it's very effective.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

I've removed a few off-topic posts there. Can we get back to the discussion specifically about After Hours?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

KyussB wrote: »
    The reason people want to censor views they don't agree with and view as 'dangerous', is because those espousing many of those views will be engaging in bad faith, using propaganda tactics and dishonest methods of argument to try and create an echo chamber of their own views, impervious to reasoned argument.

If Boards adopted a policy of carefully identifying bad faith argument - where it becomes increasingly obvious the poster is engaging in forms of argument that are dishonest, and (after a lot of tactful/careful nudging from mods to knock it out, making pains to avoid being ban-happy) then excises those posters from the forum, or better, simply limits their frequency of posting - that is probably the best form of moderation that you can apply to political discussion, as it directly targets propagandists.

This is not a very common form of moderation, and it's not an easy one to implement, as naturally a lot of moderators/people will suspect bad faith from those who hold views different from their own - but I've seen it deployed effectively on smaller political blogs, to try and excise the worst propagandists - and it's very effective.
    But AH was never designed for "political discussion". The mods were not identified for their abilities to deal with that type of discussion, which is why there have been attempts to move some of it to the 2 Politics forums

Unfortunately though posters are looking for the largest audience, which they know will be AH, so the mods end up giving up on trying to deal with "heavy" political topics - certainly not proactively. They depend on reports, and even then there will be varying interpretations that can be applied to posts/posters and indeed their intentions. When the mods do intervene they will often face accusations of over moderation. I know it's a classic "can't win" situation, but it seems to me that many of the userbase want AH to reflect their own agenda/views, and be dismissive of those of other users. Should it therefore be "all things to all men" - that's pretty much the way it currently is, but also the reason we end up with feedback like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,964 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Beasty wrote: »
    Unfortunately though posters are looking for the largest audience, which they know will be AH...

This is key, and a shame.

• Advertisement

Beasty wrote: »
    But AH was never designed for "political discussion". The mods were not identified for their abilities to deal with that type of discussion, which is why there have been attempts to move some of it to the 2 Politics forums

Unfortunately though posters are looking for the largest audience, which they know will be AH, so the mods end up giving up on trying to deal with "heavy" political topics - certainly not proactively. They depend on reports, and even then there will be varying interpretations that can be applied to posts/posters and indeed their intentions. When the mods do intervene they will often face accusations of over moderation. I know it's a classic "can't win" situation, but it seems to me that many of the userbase want AH to reflect their own agenda/views, and be dismissive of those of other users. Should it therefore be "all things to all men" - that's pretty much the way it currently is, but also the reason we end up with feedback like this.
    It doesn't just apply to political discussion - you can apply it to bigotry in general, bigotry against travelers, sexism, immigrants etc. etc. - it means you don't have to censor those types of bile off of the forum, you instead clamp down on the ability to get away with bad-faith argument/debate.

You maintain the full spectrum of free discussion, about any/all numbers of abhorrent topics - but you gradually excise the worst/most-objectionable proponents of those views, if they insist on taking this piss, by engaging in barely-concealed bad faith argument constantly.

This would heavily target pretty much all of the groups/views people have a problem with - while still allowing worthwhile discussion of those issues - and would heavily limit political propaganda (e.g. the Israel shills, the most noticeable propagandists, would get themselves banned near-instantly for bad faith argument).

In Ireland, young people grow up witnessing RTE, the rest of the media, and the political and academic establishments toeing a specific party line on issues such as immigration, abortion, social welfare, Travellers, and so on. Then, when they come to AH and find that there exist posters who aren't drinking the Montrose Kool-Aid, the reaction is often one of horror -- how can these opinions be allowed to exist? -- followed by calls for censorship.
    In the context of this discussion, this is utter nonsense, and couldn't be further from the truth.

This could hardly be further from the truth. It's not about 'sides'. It's not about me being good. It's not about right and wrong.

I'm aware of the importance of free speech, and as a general principle, I support it.

I'm also aware that Boards is becoming the platform of choice for Irish racists. It is the home for gammon. Like the mythical frog in the saucepan, it's easy to not notice the temperature rising. It's now normal to talk about knackers and scumbags as part of a supposedly normal conversation.

Maybe it's a reflection of the growing age demographic of Boards posters. If it keeps going unchecked, it will be 'Oi Boards, I hear you're a racist now, how do I get into that sort of thing?'.

I'm not sure that's going to be an attractive proposition for advertisers, or for new members.

I'm also aware that Boards is becoming the platform of choice for Irish racists. It is the home for gammon. Like the mythical frog in the saucepan, it's easy to not notice the temperature rising. .

Gammon is a pejorative and racist insult used by"left" wing people towards white middle aged conservative men. It has been recognised widely as hate speech. Maybe the advertisers don't mind certain kinds of hate speech. I don't know. Am not au fait with advertising matters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

The older generations grew up witnessing vigorous debate in a public sphere, where exposure to contradictory views was inescapable. But that public sphere has, over the last couple of decades, largely been replaced by self-selecting social media bubbles. Algorithms on sites like Facebook ensure that people now see the stories their like-minded peers are seeing, not stories that might contradict their opinions. If a dissenting view does appear, it can be blocked or unfollowed at a touch of a button. In education, high school teachers and college professors are pressured into assigning books that affirm, rather than challenge, their students' beliefs and sensitivities.

Notably, too, posters who have happily and vigorously participated in threads campaigning for the legalization of gay marriage or abortion are the first to appear in Feedback whinging when the same forum is used to question policy on immigration or Travellers.

It's not that they don't want to see political threads -- they only want to see political threads that support their views.

How much of an overlap have you noticed here? How many posters supported marriage equality or legalisation of abortion in threads and have “whinged” (is everyone who participates in Feedback threads a whinger, out of interest?) in Feedback about questioning of policy relating to immigrant or Travellers. Ballpark figure.

Gammon is as stupid and bandwagonish a term as sjw or snowflake (when the latter is just used about a person merely disagreeing).

Gammon is a pejorative and racist insult used by"left" wing people towards white middle aged conservative men. It has been recognised widely as hate speech. Maybe the advertisers don't mind certain kinds of hate speech. I don't know. Am not au fait with advertising matters.
    Free speech, innit....

If you can't beat em....

In fairness, the concept of 'hate speech' is exactly the problem - it's the modern form of unbridled censorship, aimed at anything/everything people may get offended by.

People support the concept of hate speech for things they find offensive and disagree with - then are suddenly surprised when it gets used to censor them over perfectly reasonable things - e.g. censor criticism of Israel as anti-semitic etc., as is happening to try and shut down the BDS boycott movement.

Don't be so fucking easily offended. Grow thicker skins. Debate the issue at hand instead of whinging about the words people use, tenuously trying to paint them as a form of 'ism.
    People like that are dangerous to us all, as they don't even realizing how they're contributing to the erosion of free speech for everyone (not just the people they disagree with...).

KyussB wrote: »
    In fairness, the concept of 'hate speech' is exactly the problem - it's the modern form of unbridled censorship, aimed at anything/everything people may get offended by.

People support the concept of hate speech for things they find offensive and disagree with - then are suddenly surprised when it gets used to censor them over perfectly reasonable things - e.g. censor criticism of Israel as anti-semitic etc., as is happening to try and shut down the BDS boycott movement.

Don't be so fucking easily offended. Grow thicker skins. Debate the issue at hand instead of whinging about the words people use, tenuously trying to paint them as a form of 'ism.
    People like that are dangerous to us all, as they don't even realizing how they're contributing to the erosion of free speech for everyone (not just the people they disagree with...).

So, just for example, am I right to think you'd like Boards to be a place with no filters at all, so we can talk about N-I-G-G-E-R-S and P-A-K-I-S and K-I-K-E-S and F-A-G-G-O-T-S and R-E-T-A-R-D-S just as part as normal conversation? We should be able to use derogatory words for minority groups as part of normal conversation here, right?

That's a false dichotomy - I'm not going to defend or rebut a position I never argued.

• Advertisement

Gammon is as stupid and bandwagonish a term as sjw or snowflake (when the latter is just used about a person merely disagreeing).

I see graham Linehan is often described as Gammon. I’d play the race card there were I him and pretend it was an anti Irish insult.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement