Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we talk about AH?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

There should be a system in place that allows posters to request that a certain mod cannot moderate their posts. The mod reports it for other mods to take care of it.

I'm being straight-up bullied getting infractions for the most minor things. Things other posters would get a simple mod-note for, or nothing at all. It's all just the build-up to the big one, the one-month ban. And then I'll get a year. And then I'll be one of the reregs I guess.

It's disgraceful. I've been a solid contributor to this site since 2005, and this mod is silencing me, not because of my posts in the particular thread, but because of old posts in another thread that he doesn't agree with. I am not a problem poster, but I'm treated like I'm a troll. And every one of these stupid warnings is used to justify big bans.

I got one yesterday for the most inconsequential "quip" as he calls it. There not a chance that the posters who align with him would have gotten a warning for it, and I even align with him on this topic, but the other one has him out to get me. He would have thanked that post if it weren't me. It's complete and utter nonsense. He just randomly deletes my other posts as he sees fit even though they're not breaking any rules.

Sorry to hear that.

Zorya wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that.

It says a lot when my recent dispute issue (the forum) went unanswered by the cmods. They couldn't answer because it was absolutely outrageous. Beasty, an admin, had to reply.

All I wanted was confirmation by a cmod and I didn't get it, because it was impossible to justify. He's a good mod in general and I respect what he does, in general, but his hatred of me is affecting my ability to post.

I mean, look at this shlt.

qNQjSup.png

Five days.. Five days for posting links that were totally relevant and helpful. He retracted the ban when I explained what was up, but would anyone he doesn't hate get an insta five-day ban for that? No. It's bullshlt. He didn't even click the link and see that I was showing the poster I replied to the proof that what had happened, had happened. It's bullying.

I don't bother with politics forum. It's an echo chamber

If there is to be a reopened Politics Cafe, or a sort of Current Affairs forum which Beasty is in favour of, it must have different mods.

I have no interest in being followed and being banned because of stuff in other forums.

Even when I post in Relationship Issues, a forum that literally exists because I started the thread that made it happen, I get arseholes from Politics going against me for no other reason than they hate my views on things. And the mods went on their side and mod-noted me when I responded to an outragous claim by listermint that I was mocking my girlfriend, by using the medical term for what she had.

It is nonsense as I've said many times. That mod supported false accusations against me and punished me for reacting to such an unbelievable assault on my character. He should have been banned. Instead, I get told off. And people wonder why there are so many re-regs on this site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I mean, look at this shlt.

qNQjSup.png

Five days.. Five days for posting links that were totally relevant and helpful. He retracted the ban when I explained what was up, but would anyone he doesn't hate get an insta five-day ban for that? No. It's bullshlt. He didn't even click the link and see that I was showing the poster I replied to the proof that what had happened, had happened. It's bullying.

Can you please open a dispute regarding this ban, or a Help Desk thread on the allegation of bullying? Feedback is not the place for this point, as is clearly mentioned in the Charter.

dudara wrote: »
    Can you please open a dispute regarding this ban, or a Help Desk thread on the allegation of bullying? Feedback is not the place for this point.

I opened one including this and a recent week ban. No response from Cmods, even though the week-long ban was quite clearly related.

I'm just venting here. I've been on this site for years and I've always used this account. Delete whatever is irrelevant.

I'm just venting here. I've been on this site for years and I've always used this account. Delete whatever is irrelevant.

I’m not going to delete your points, just please use the correct forums in future. I’ll take a look at the Disputes Forum now to see what’s going on.

EDIT
    I opened one including this and a recent week ban. No response from Cmods, even though the week-long ban was quite clearly related.

That comment is a bit disingenuous isn’t it? I just looked at that DRP. Yes, there was a failure by the CMofs to pick it up, but Beasty took it on and gave you a finding which you accepted.

I’m not going to delete your points, just please use the correct forums in future. I’ll take a look at the Disputes Forum now to see what’s going on.

I can't find it in my started threads, so it might have been deleted.

I don't even care about that ban in particular, though I do care about the screenshotted ban for five days which I posted above. I want a cmod to verify that it was appropriate.

That comment is a bit disingenuous isn’t it? I just looked at that DRP. Yes, there was a failure by the CMofs to pick it up, but Beasty took it on and gave you a finding which you accepted.

I don't think it was disingenuous. I stated what happened and noted that Beasty replied. I "accepted" because I didn't want to be an arsehole to Beasty, who I like. In no way do I actually agree with it.

All I wanted was a cmod, not an admin, to verify that the five-day ban was appropriate.

• Advertisement

I can't find it in my started threads, so it might have been deleted.

I don't even care about that ban in particular, though I do care about the screenshotted ban for five days which I posted above. I want a cmod to verify that it was appropriate.

The thread is not deleted, it’s clearly visible in the DR forum. Type Dispute into the search box and select the option for the DR forum.

As Beasty mentioned in his reviews, the five day ban was overturned, so it is not relevant and no further comment is required on it.

Now, in the interests of not de-railing the conversation any further, this is going to stop here. You’ve had your chance to vent, but please get back on point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

An aspect of the site that I'm finding pretty disturbing is that there are a number of users who outright support white supremacy and promote it on the site. How are users like this not entirely banned?

Even encountered one user recently who described "low status" people who would be thrown out of their roles when the right came to power. I asked who "low status" people were. The response was gay people, autistic people, non white people..... I report the posts in all scenarios like this but it rarely seems to get actioned, like why aren't users such as this simply banned?

It leaves an incredibly bad taste in my mouth to see the types of users that are becoming more and more common place on the site.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

er, because it's dead as a doornail??

this may sound facetious, but it is no way intended in that manner. Yourself and a few others here are not posting it. Why not start, give it the spark it needs, it wouldn't take much for the forum to have a heartbeat again.
    It just takes one thread with decent subject matter to get things going again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Zorya wrote: »
    I don't bother with politics forum. It's an echo chamber

Isn't it an echo chamber because you don't post in it?

Phoebas wrote: »
    Isn't it an echo chamber because you don't post in it?

Haha maybe :) but I don't like to annoy myself overly much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

batgoat wrote: »
    An aspect of the site that I'm finding pretty disturbing is that there are a number of users who outright support white supremacy and promote it on the site. How are users like this not entirely banned?

Even encountered one user recently who described "low status" people who would be thrown out of their roles when the right came to power. I asked who "low status" people were. The response was gay people, autistic people, non white people..... I report the posts in all scenarios like this but it rarely seems to get actioned, like why aren't users such as this simply banned?

It leaves an incredibly bad taste in my mouth to see the types of users that are becoming more and more common place on the site.

+1

Frequently the undeniably racist, white supremacist post is deleted, but the poster is only threadbanned, or forum banned for a short time so the underlying message seems to be 'be more discreetly racist', not 'boards does not tolerate racism'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

The Politics forum isn't dead because of access, it's dead because the moderation is completely biased in terms of one way of thinking. The reason threads have worked on AH is because the moderation just sticks to the rules and is isn't forcing one way of thinking for the most part. Allowing more access to Politics won't fix things, cleaning house as regards moderation would.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,066 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

B0jangles wrote: »
    +1

Frequently the undeniably racist, white supremacist post is deleted, but the poster is only threadbanned, or forum banned for a short time so the underlying message seems to be 'be more discreetly racist', not 'boards does not tolerate racism'.

Yep

There is quite a lot of outright racism, white supremacy being pushed in AH right now and it seems Mods are taking a complete hands off approach.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,959 ✭✭✭circadian

Maybe blacklisting known hate/fake news/conspiracy sources would be start. I believe in giving people a platform to discuss but I would draw the line at false publications that peddle lies, hate and distrust for the sole purpose of causing discord in online discussions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

There is quite a lot of outright racism, white supremacy being pushed in AH right now...

Where? Do you have examples?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

The Politics forum isn't dead because of access, it's dead because the moderation is completely biased in terms of one way of thinking. The reason threads have worked on AH is because the moderation just sticks to the rules and is isn't forcing one way of thinking for the most part. Allowing more access to Politics won't fix things, cleaning house as regards moderation would.

It speaks volumes when the most popular thread in the otherwise relatively dead forum is populated by a small cohort of like-minded posters who seem to get a kick out of mocking a man who's mental health must surely be questioned.

Where? Do you have examples?

The Gemma O'Doherty thread has a poster favouring a return to Apartheid in South Africa, it has included him linking Neo Nazi content, ethnonationalists and white supremacists. Another poster in the same thread has described people who are gay, non white, autistic etc as "low status" and that they will be removed from power when the right come to power.

The Rowan Croft thread is another that comes to mind. The posters may intermittently get banned for a period but in general, they don't get permabanned. And to be perfectly honest, there's a level of toleration for posters who engage in pretty outright hate speech.

batgoat wrote: »
    The Gemma O'Doherty thread has a poster favouring a return to Apartheid in South Africa, it has included him linking Neo Nazi content, ethnonationalists and white supremacists. Another poster in the same thread has described people who are gay, non white, autistic etc as "low status" and that they will be removed from power when the right come to power.

The Rowan Croft thread is another that comes to mind. The posters may intermittently get banned for a period but in general, they don't get permabanned. And to be perfectly honest, there's a level of toleration for posters who engage in pretty outright hate speech.

I've read the last few pages of the Gemma O'Doherty thread, and I don't see any racism or white supremacy. However, I do see yourself and Joeytheparrot participating vigorously in the thread, branding other posters racists and white supremacists, and then coming over to complain in Feedback when the mods don't ban people at your behest.

I don't believe you're giving feedback here so much as trying to "win" a debate by having other posters banned or getting a thread locked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

I've read the last few pages of the Gemma O'Doherty thread, and I don't see any racism or white supremacy. However, I do see yourself and Joeytheparrot participating vigorously in the thread, branding other posters racists and white supremacists, and then coming over to complain in Feedback when the mods don't ban people at your behest.

I don't believe you're giving feedback here so much as trying to "win" a debate by having other posters banned or getting a thread locked.

Yep, unfortunately there is a small group of posters who constantly scream racism in order to get a thread locked and people banned. I do notice that it is those same posters who actually keep those contentious threads going by jumping in with the racism accusations.

While I have doubts in the ability of some mods to be impartial on some topics, I have full confidence in them that they would ban any racist posters that they encounter ........ and rightly so.

Kivaro wrote: »
    Yep, unfortunately there is a small group of posters who constantly scream racism in order to get a thread locked and people banned. I do notice that it is those same posters who actually keep those contentious threads going by jumping in with the racism accusations.

While I have doubts in the ability of some mods to be impartial on some topics, I have full confidence in them that they would ban any racist posters that they encounter ........ and rightly so.

Yes, who wouldn't want the racist dickheads banned, there are some downright disgusting remarks made from time to time and they can crop up anywhere, and they should be deleted. But to try and use those awful remarks to associate the sentiment with other posters who just happen to disagree with one is fairly mean and sly.

And you're free to feel that, but I can comfortably say when people are using ethnonationalists and neo Nazis as sources of truth and calling for a return to Apartheid. Then that poster most definitely holds white supremacist views. And the "lower status" people style of remark is frankly disturbing.

Not based solely on that thread btw. The issue has existed for ages and I'm clearly not the sole person that sees it as a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭KyussB

circadian wrote: »
    Maybe blacklisting known hate/fake news/conspiracy sources would be start. I believe in giving people a platform to discuss but I would draw the line at false publications that peddle lies, hate and distrust for the sole purpose of causing discord in online discussions.
    See the thread I made here on Feedback regarding 'fake news' - that's an extremely dangerous slippery slope.

Hate speech in general is also a dangerous thing to make a part of the rules, for the same reason - e.g. take Israel vs Palestine discussions, and how the screeching of alleged anti-semitism would be used to try shut discussion down based on hate speech.

People are going to need to put up with more stuff which they don't like, and actually spend time debating and mocking/pilfering it mercilessly when it's as reprehensible as the above-mentioned white supremacy stuff - rather than just cry for everything to be censored.

It has unintended consequences. If you censor the stuff you don't like, then unless it's extremely clear-cut (like racism or such) then it's going to lead to other forms of creeping censorship.

People have to just grow some balls and push back against stuff they dislike, instead of calling for censorship all the time. Otherwise things will turn bad over time and become more and more of an echo chamber.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭Odhinn

You missed the guy who hankers after the 'good old days' of Apartheid then?

Odhinn wrote: »
    You missed the guy who hankers after the 'good old days' of Apartheid then?

Feel free to post some representative quotes. I don't have time to read through a 177-page thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,066 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I've read the last few pages of the Gemma O'Doherty thread, and I don't see any racism or white supremacy.

Did you miss all the youtube links?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement