Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

417 whv, was in Irish defence forces and left will it effect application?

Options
  • 28-01-2019 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi

I was in Irish defence forces and passed out as a three star pte, shortly after I left, I have applied for 417 whv over a week ago and just wondering was anyone ever in same position?? Will it stop me from travelling or how long will it take for visa to go threw? Is there anything I can do to speed it up? Status on visa is recieved and 12-34 days processing, all info appreciated

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Stove1234 wrote: »
    Hi

I was in Irish defence forces and passed out as a three star pte, shortly after I left, I have applied for 417 whv over a week ago and just wondering was anyone ever in same position?? Will it stop me from travelling or how long will it take for visa to go threw? Is there anything I can do to speed it up? Status on visa is recieved and 12-34 days processing, all info appreciated

Thank you

I don't see why it would affect your application or why you would need to state it on the application. It's a long time since I've seen a 417 application but does it ask for such information?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Even if they do become aware aware of your service record, why would you think it might be a problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

A friend of mine from the UK was in the Territorial army before coming over on his WHV. It took longer to process than for somebody who wasn't in the armed forces. Maybe 1-2, possibly 3 months from recollection of him telling me about it. Just keep chasing them up about it.

I would assume they would contact IDF and check your record, make sure you wouldn't be a security risk seeing as you have defence forces training.

The bigger risk would be not to declare it, and if they ever found out, I would assume you'd be removed from the country, receive a ban on re-entry for several years and it may affect any future application.

Advertisement