Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New line for fibre?

• 28-01-2019 5:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm currently with Vodafone and have been trying for months to get them to do something actually useful to improve my current woeful internet speeds.

My situation: I live in a terraced house in the center of a town - 200m as the crow flies from the exchange. Neigbouring premises with lines coming from street-side are rated for 70Mbps (FTTC - exchange is flagged for upgrading to FTTH autumn/winter '18 whatever that means in the real world) , our phone line however comes in the back of the house from a pole, and is rated for fibre at 15Mbps - barely more than the DSL we currently have of around 11-12Mbps and not worth the effort. Worse the DSL has severe noise problems - downstream SNR is pegged around 6-7dB, upstream is usually around 19dB which is ok. Any upstream traffic kills the already meagre downstream - latency goes from 30ms odd to around 700ms or worse. Not sure how much of this is rubbish QoS on the bargain basement Huawei boxes Voda use, the line, or a combination thereof, but either way I've had enough. The rear line was already replaced about 5 years ago due to water ingress, and is also on the point of being engulfed by vegetation from the 2 derelict properties is has to cross.

So long story short, I want to get get a line pulled from street side to enable fibre for video streaming etc. Also want to switch to Eir to get access to Eir Sports. Question is, how doe I proceed?

Please PM if you want more info

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,580 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

If you have a line already it's highly unlikely (99.9%) Openeir will bring in a brand new line 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭JMcL

fritzelly wrote: »
    If you have a line already it's highly unlikely (99.9%) Openeir will bring in a brand new line 
    Don't see what justification they would have for refusing if I'm willing to pay them for it (I'll gladly take a free replacement however). When we bought the house there appeared to be a line already pulled at the front, as it came in (unterminated) behind the skirting.

Fact is, the existing line is not fit for purpose as evidenced by the downstream SNR quoted above (this is consistent), and the fact that it delivers about 40% down/12% up of what the government deem to be broadband. And I couldn't be much more central in a fibre enabled town

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,580 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

They don't accept payment for anything. Either they are willing to do it or they're not
    As far as they will be concerned you have service so why spend money to add another line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭JMcL

fritzelly wrote: »
    They don't accept payment for anything. Either they are willing to do it or they're not
    As far as they will be concerned you have service so why spend money to add another line.
    Ah ok. The highly functional Irish telecommunications landscape begat by Mammy O'Rourke 20 years ago continues apace so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭eir: Kellie

JMcL wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm currently with Vodafone and have been trying for months to get them to do something actually useful to improve my current woeful internet speeds.

My situation: I live in a terraced house in the center of a town - 200m as the crow flies from the exchange. Neigbouring premises with lines coming from street-side are rated for 70Mbps (FTTC - exchange is flagged for upgrading to FTTH autumn/winter '18 whatever that means in the real world) , our phone line however comes in the back of the house from a pole, and is rated for fibre at 15Mbps - barely more than the DSL we currently have of around 11-12Mbps and not worth the effort. Worse the DSL has severe noise problems - downstream SNR is pegged around 6-7dB, upstream is usually around 19dB which is ok. Any upstream traffic kills the already meagre downstream - latency goes from 30ms odd to around 700ms or worse. Not sure how much of this is rubbish QoS on the bargain basement Huawei boxes Voda use, the line, or a combination thereof, but either way I've had enough. The rear line was already replaced about 5 years ago due to water ingress, and is also on the point of being engulfed by vegetation from the 2 derelict properties is has to cross.

So long story short, I want to get get a line pulled from street side to enable fibre for video streaming etc. Also want to switch to Eir to get access to Eir Sports. Question is, how doe I proceed?

Please PM if you want more info
    Hi there JMcL,

I am happy to see that you are interested in our fibre to the home service. I would suggest clicking here to check and see if you are eligible for our fibre to the home broadband (all you will need is your eircode). If this comes back saying that you are eligible you can contact our Sales department on 1800 503 303, you can then tell them to put you through as a new customer and they will be able to advise you further on this.

You will need to have your account with previous provider cancelled and you may lose your landline number (you may be able to get this back by porting it over but this is not guaranteed).

~Kellie

• Advertisement
Advertisement