Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a house from a farmer...

Options
  • 28-01-2019 6:31pm
    Site Banned Posts: 160 ✭✭

Im looking at a house which is up for sale, cash buyer, the problem is,..The person selling it is a farmer.
    I sent them an e-mail enquiring about the property which was advertised online, and asked if I could take a look through while also indicating I was a cash buyer..

They replied with 'We have taken it off the market, but we are open to offers'
    No wanting to get into silly games, I responded back with 'No problem, I will continue the search' and moved on.
    Fast forward a few weeks, I get another mail from them.."Hello, are you still wanting to take a look at the property"
    I replied with, 'Only if its genuinely up for sale'
    And now I await the reply.

This property is in Rural Sligo, its not attached to their farm and they only purchased it 3 years ago, gave it a bit of a tidy up and put it back up for sale at a little over double what they paid for it, but they would have put a fair chunk of cash into cleaning it up and it does look pretty dam good.

I see there are lots of farmers on here, perhaps you can tell me how to play this out or should I just walk away. I have never had to deal with a Farmer before and all I know about Farmers is what I hear about them which I thought was all bit of nonsense until that very first mail from the Farmers arrived saying "Its off the market but we are open to offers'
    I mean is the frikken property for sale or not.
    Any tips, advice or stories of dealing with Farmers or Sligo Farmers in particular.
    TIA.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Forget about it. Dealing with that sort of mentality will drive you mad. If the were serious about selling it, they would have appointed an agent. They bought it, cleaned it up ad are just wondering how much it is worth. They have no intention of selling unless some eejit pays an absolute fortune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

There are some houses that are on and off the market for years and never sell. Its sort of like the owners like the idea of the money then decide the house will be worth more if they hang on to it for longer, until they die and someone else inherits it chances are it will never sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Kidkinobe wrote: »
    Im looking at a house which is up for sale, cash buyer, the problem is,..The person selling it is a farmer.
    Kidkinobe wrote: »
    This property is in Rural Sligo, its not attached to their farm and they only purchased it 3 years ago, gave it a bit of a tidy up and put it back up for sale at a little over double what they paid for it, but they would have put a fair chunk of cash into cleaning it up and it does look pretty dam good.
    Avoid. You could end up spending a small fortune fixing fcukups the "jack'o'all trades, master of none" has done whilst tidying it up.

Doing up a house over three years sounds like a hobby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭CPTM

Yeah, avoid and be grateful you haven't wasted too much time on it already. They've done it up and they want to see how much it's worth. As one poster said, they'd probably sell for an outrageous bid. Sure aren't we all "open to offers" for our possessions?

Advertisement