Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paying for a reference

Options
  • 28-01-2019 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi all, thought I would ask you knowledgeable people about the legality of this:

I want to move out of my current place and have given notice. I need my current estate agent to provide a reference for my new estate agent before they’ll accept me as a new tenant. The current EA has said they will inspect the apartment this week and then provide the reference which is grand.

Here’s my issue: they want to charge me €25 for a written reference. I imagine they have a template with”Mr/Ms X resided in (insert address here) for (insert length of tenancy). Mr/Ms X paid his/her rent on time and kept the apartment/house in good working order. Signed EA” and it’ll probably take them about 30sec to fill it out. Can they actually do this? I know the UK has outlawed those sorts of fees but what about Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

You are asking for something they are not obliged to give, so if there is an associated admin fee, I’m not sure why this would be illegal.

Is it illegal in the uk? Google doesn’t throw up any info about the relevant legislation there, maybe you could link to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

If you want it you will have to pay. They are under no obligation to provide you with one. I'm assuming this would be under the term 'admin fee'.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It's not nice practice but fairly certain there is nothing to prevent it. The UK fees thing is because of utterly ridiculous fees passed on by agents that hasn't happened here - yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Labcoats and Running Shoes

L1011 wrote: »
    It's not nice practice but fairly certain there is nothing to prevent it. The UK fees thing is because of utterly ridiculous fees passed on by agents that hasn't happened here - yet.

Grand! Guess I’ll be forking out the €25! I’ve never had a landlord or estate agent charge me for a reference before, hence my wondering if they’re just trying to take advantage of the idiot girl who doesn’t know they’re not allowed to charge for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Thought this was the A&P forum and not the "stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do" thread. That is miserable behaviour in my opinion.

Ask them who can you make a cheque payable to and see what they say.

• Advertisement
Advertisement