Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2rn Hbb TV tests

• 28-01-2019 7:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭

Just noticed some strange stuff on a 2rn test card coming from channel 48 Maghera. Included in the channel details is something labelled with hbbtv which even after googling I'm still not sure what it is. Also there's a red button captioned 'brúigh' (press) service that brings up what seems to be an interactive service similar to the Aertel. Anyone with some ideas what's going on here, a redesign for the Aertel service perhaps? It's carrying audio from Lyric FM.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

HBBtv is similar to MHEG5 and is used by several European channels for Aertel like services.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,594 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

What is the testcard LCN?

Saorview Connect is HbbTV based tech, hybrid broadcast broadband TV. MHEG5 is old tech.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

The Cush wrote: »
    There are 2 newish DSM-CC data streams being carried in the muxes, been there since early Dec, with a break over Christmas. Related I wonder?
    Excuse my ignorance here on this, but first why would my TV want to see this hbbtv service and what can it do with it?

Excuse my ignorance here on this, but first why would my TV want to see this hbbtv service and what can it do with it?

Maybe its there for the Saorview Connect receiver? Bitrate is low.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

What's the Service ID of this channel? 1189?
    Thanks.

The current on-air tests consist of Saorview Radio screen holders complete with the current Programme title and programme synopsis information. A test information service is also available via Red Button on the 2rn test channel.

http://www.2rn.ie/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/2rn-Launches-the-first-HbbTV-test-service-in-Ireland_3.pdf

I have a HbbTV compatible TV (Toshiba 43T6863) so I went checking to see what I could find, did a new installation to enable HbbTV. They appear they have reshuffled the radio channels on the epg.

The radio channels now start for me at LCN 251 and go to LCN 261, previously LCN 200-209. As above, the radio screen displays radio holders complete with the current programme title and programme synopsis information. The information can be slow to load/display or may not load at all.

The SSU data channels have moved from LCN 254/255 to LCN 274/275.
    LCNs 262-273 are hidden empty channels (except LCN 264 carrying RnaG audio).

The 2rn test channel, the hidden channel at LCN 14 I assume, is not doing anything for me. Not sure if the TV is incompatible with the red button test or that they have switched it off the test tonight? I'll check over the coming days.

EDIT: The 2rn test channel, confirmed by Johnboy1951 below, is at LCN 250, hidden but can be accessed directly via the 2-5-0 buttons on the remote control.

14 seems to be a HD test channel .......
    2rn
    Ath Cliath
    Ardghleine
    AVC HD

The 2rn test channel in question was on 250 ..... still showing as that on my HDHomerun tuner box.

Test card with three audio channels two of which have audio from other channels and the third a test tone only.

250 2rn AVC (not HD)

Make of that what you will :D

The 2rn test channel in question was on 250 ..... still showing as that on my HDHomerun tuner box.

Test card with three audio channels two of which have audio from other channels and the third a test tone only.

250 2rn AVC (not HD)

Make of that what you will :D

Thanks for that.

Yes, I've checked it now, LCN 250 is the hidden 2rn test channel and can confirm the red button is working for me on that channel.

Can you tell me the SID for that channel?

• Advertisement

Thanks for that.

Yes, I've checked it now, LCN 250 is the hidden 2rn test channel and can confirm the red button is working for me on that channel.

Can you tell me the SID for that channel?

1189 - It has not changed?

I don't have the ability to view HbbTV presently.

2rn.png

1189 - It has not changed?

Thanks again.

This is it on the bitrate monitoring website with HbbTV data identified as Data (AIT) - http://www.digitalbitrate.com/dtv.php?mux=PSB-MUX-1&pid=1189&live=15&sec=0&lang=en

The radio channels, excluding Radio Maria Ireland, also carry HbbTV/Data (AIT) in their stream.

I'll try to post a few pics soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭stephend2000

I’m getting a “Wordfence, securing your wordpress site” splash screen or a 404 page of 2rn’s website when I enter HbbTV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

So what exactly are they testing? Is it the delivery of the aertel service for the Connect box? I think the button on the remote gave no response upto now.

Thanks again.

This is it on the bitrate monitoring website with HbbTV data identified as Data (AIT) - http://www.digitalbitrate.com/dtv.php?mux=PSB-MUX-1&pid=1189&live=15&sec=0&lang=en

The radio channels, excluding Radio Maria Ireland, also carry HbbTV/Data (AIT) in their stream.

I try to post a few pics soon.

I look forward to seeing a couple of pics as I cannot access it here presently.

Thanks.

I’m getting a “Wordfence, securing your wordpress site” splash screen or a 404 page of 2rn’s website when I enter HbbTV

Working fine here via Win10/Edge - http://www.2rn.ie/hbb-tv-test-transmission/
    So what exactly are they testing? Is it the delivery of the aertel service for the Connect box? I think the button on the remote gave no response upto now.

They are testing the replacement for the current MHEG-5 interactive TV middleware standard used on Saorview for Aertel and MHEG-5 generated placeholders on television channels RTÉjr, RTÉ One+1 and Oireachtas TV when off-air and the Saorview radio channels screen placeholders.

HbbTV is the European replacement for the 2 previous standards used in Europe, MHEG5 and MHP. HbbTV combines both broadcast and broadband seamlessly into a single interactive standard for current uses like Aertel and placeholders and future OTT services, on-demand, IPTV content, etc. etc., direct to a compatible receiver/TV.

I assume this is being tested on both Saorview Connect and HbbTV compatible TVs, to the NorDig standard - HbbTV 1.5 specification. I have it on a 2017 Walker TV and a 2018 Toshiba TV.

The test should be available on Saorview Connect, it's carried on the hidden 2rn test channel at LCN 250, type in 2-5-0 directly on your r/c, wait for the red button prompt in the bottom left hand corner of the screen - captioned 'brúigh' (press). You will then be presented with an HbbTV generated Aertel test screen.

The radio channels are also carrying HbbTV generated data on screen which includes current programme name and programme summary.

This is Germany's terrestrial TV HbbTV service called freenet TV connect, launched back in 2017 and carried via the ZDF PSB mux.

RTÉ Radio 1 HbbTV screen with programme name and summary
    SAM-0333.jpg

LCN 250 red button
    SAM-0336.jpg

HbbTV test transmission confirmation, accessed via Help
    SAM-0338.jpg

Initial screen (News Headline 1) as gaeilge
    SAM-0337.jpg

News screen
    SAM-0343.jpg

News Headline 2 screen
    SAM-0339.jpg

News Headline 3 screen
    SAM-0340.jpg

Sport screen
    SAM-0341.jpg

Information screen
    SAM-0342.jpg

SAM-0345.jpg

SAM-0346.jpg

SAM-0347.jpg

SAM-0349.jpg

SAM-0351.jpg

SAM-0352.jpg

Is this going to allow something like the bbc sport app on the humax box, and on Connect you can access rte news and sport?

Is this going to allow something like the bbc sport app on the humax box, and on Connect you can access rte news and sport?

It should, depends on what RTE are planning.

• Advertisement

@The Cush

Thanks for the pics.

They look very clean and sharp.

Interesting times ahead! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

Seems like they've pulled the Hbb TV tests this morning, red button was inactive when I first checked @ 12:10pm, or maybe have they moved it to another screen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭12 element

Will this be used to carry the 7 day epg?

Not sure if this was the case before but the saorview connect box now shows picture in corner when the teletext screen is displayed.

Handy feature....if it was there 20 years ago.

Is this aertel content being delivered over the internet or over the air?

12 element wrote: »
    Will this be used to carry the 7 day epg?

Unknown, but if we look back at the early days of Saorview they did similar MEHG-5 (green button) epg tests - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=66277167 . That never launched.

IIRC a couple of commercial MHEG-5 7-day epg guides did launch on Freeview but they eventually disappeared.

The DVB transmission standard already provides an adequate and easy to use 7-day guide. Who knows what the future will bring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭StreetLight

The test pattern has moved from LCN 250 to 51, still hidden.

The test pattern has moved from LCN 250 to 51, still hidden.

Still on 250 for me even after a rescan of both muxes. Nothing at all on 51.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Interesting. None of my TVs are Hbb enabled.

The test appeared on 250 for me last week. Now, after a retune, it's on 51. Might explain the test disappearing for an earlier poster.

Interesting. None of my TVs are Hbb enabled.

The test appeared on 250 for me last week. Now, after a retune, it's on 51. Might explain the test disappearing for an earlier poster.

2rn was showing both on 51 and 250 here.

Now on 51 only.

• Advertisement

Checked a non-HbbTV television here, there a is difference in the channel positions between the two.

The 2rn engineering test channel is at LCN 51 with no red button on the non-HbbTV receiver and LCN 250 with red button on the HbbTV enabled receiver.

The radio channels are at LCN 200-210 on the non-HbbTV receiver and LCN 251-261 on the HbbTV enabled receiver.

The SSU data channels are at LCN 254-255 on the non-HbbTV receiver and LCN 274-275 on the HbbTV enabled receiver.

LCN 252-253 on the non-HbbTV receiver attempt to load some data service but stall.

Advertisement