Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drayton Wiser - A different question

• 28-01-2019 9:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭

Apologies for creating yet another Drayton thread but I don't want to hijack others and I've a specific question. I was about to pull the trigger on the Drayton Wiser smart thermostat plus a couple of TRVs when I thought I should double check the details.

I am aiming to self install this, assuming it's straight forward to do so. I've got a ~15 year old Glow Worm Micron 50FF conventional boiler that appears not to have HW control although when I turn on the heating that also heats the water. If I want ONLY hot water there's a separate switch in the hot press for turning just that on, I'm guessing this is turning on an immersion.

This is my existing controller in the hall which I'm hoping I can just swap out for the Drayton one (presuming they've the same backplate).
    814rzf39WmL._SX450_.jpg

And this is the kit I'm thinking of:

https://www.draytoncontrols.co.uk/products/Smart-Heating/Wiser/wiser-multi-zone-kit-2

Multizone%20Kit%202%20-%20new%20screens%20%28600x450%29.png?itok=y2A0KZzM

That controller has a 'hot water' button which I believe in my case won't do anything because the control for my HW is a switch in the hot press (maybe I'm wrong about being able to control water remotely as well, not sure). The alternative is kit 1 which is for a combi boiler and I don't have one of those.

I'm not totally sold on Drayton but I really need the TRVs because I want to fake a multi-zone heating set up. So by adding a few TRVs I'll essentially be able to isolate the upstairs from downstairs in terms of rads. Given that Tado is now crap unless you sign up to their subscription service and the other TRV offerings are literally twice the price per unit I'm leaning towards Drayton.

So, given the above info should I undertake a self install or avoid Drayton altogether?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭goose06

chabsey wrote: »
    Apologies for creating yet another Drayton thread but I don't want to hijack others and I've a specific question. I was about to pull the trigger on the Drayton Wiser smart thermostat plus a couple of TRVs when I thought I should double check the details.

I am aiming to self install this, assuming it's straight forward to do so. I've got a ~15 year old Glow Worm Micron 50FF conventional boiler that appears not to have HW control although when I turn on the heating that also heats the water. If I want ONLY hot water there's a separate switch in the hot press for turning just that on, I'm guessing this is turning on an immersion.

This is my existing controller in the hall which I'm hoping I can just swap out for the Drayton one (presuming they've the same backplate).
    814rzf39WmL._SX450_.jpg

And this is the kit I'm thinking of:

https://www.draytoncontrols.co.uk/products/Smart-Heating/Wiser/wiser-multi-zone-kit-2

Multizone%20Kit%202%20-%20new%20screens%20%28600x450%29.png?itok=y2A0KZzM

That controller has a 'hot water' button which I believe in my case won't do anything because the control for my HW is a switch in the hot press (maybe I'm wrong about being able to control water remotely as well, not sure). The alternative is kit 1 which is for a combi boiler and I don't have one of those.

I'm not totally sold on Drayton but I really need the TRVs because I want to fake a multi-zone heating set up. So by adding a few TRVs I'll essentially be able to isolate the upstairs from downstairs in terms of rads. Given that Tado is now crap unless you sign up to their subscription service and the other TRV offerings are literally twice the price per unit I'm leaning towards Drayton.

So, given the above info should I undertake a self install or avoid Drayton altogether?

I have tado TRVs on the rads, Nest thermostats on the boiler and I'm not paying any sub for the Tados TRVs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭goose06

This clears it up for me as a new customer I'm on the newer app
    https://www.newhometricks.com/blog/2018/10/4/is-tado-still-worth-it

Advertisement