If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5.1 starting out

Options
  • 28-01-2019 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

Hi Richersounds,

I'm moving into a new place, and looking to finally set up a 5.1 system in my living room. I have speaker wire running through the walls so I'll be wall mounting the fronts and rears quite high and need to keep them reasonably sized . (that's the compromise with the boss).

I looked at the Mordant Short M10s to mount and then maybe a suitable centre and subwoofer. Or would it be better to get a pre-built set.

Receiver wise I just need something that will passthrough 4k and has a USB. Budget is €550-600 but I can stretch a bit.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭wandererz

Im sure the RS guys will be on tomorrow to provide sage advice. 

Snipped by Mod

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Mod Comment

wandererz,

I've snipped your post above - please take a moment to read the Charter for this forum, which includes the following:
    • If you see a post which is looking for a quote or advice from RS, please resist the urge to offer your opinion. Such queries are not an open invitation for posters to make suggestions etc, these queries should be left to RS to answer. If queries or requests for quotes attracted everyone's opinion, the forum would be unworkable. This is not intended to prevent the usual chat and banter which you will regularly see on the RS forum.
    • If you have an opinion on some matter related to the items that Richersounds sells, or you wish to give people the benefit of your advice on some related issue, Please do not post it in this forum. There are other fora on Boards in the Tech section on Home Entertainment or TV related topics, or in the Consumer fora, which are suitable locations for endowing Boardies with the benefit of any advice or opinion you wish to offer. Bearing in mind the purpose of this forum, posts along the lines described here are not appropriate and will be suitably snipped or deleted without warning. This approach is taken to ensure the workability of this particular forum and to ensure that general advice and discursive posts are made in the appropriate forum. This is not intended to prevent the usual chat and banter which you will regularly see on the RS forum.

If you have any queries about the Charter, feel free to contact me by PM, please do not post on this thread again.

Ritz.

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Hi Richersounds,

I'm moving into a new place, and looking to finally set up a 5.1 system in my living room. I have speaker wire running through the walls so I'll be wall mounting the fronts and rears quite high and need to keep them reasonably sized . (that's the compromise with the boss).

I looked at the Mordant Short M10s to mount and then maybe a suitable centre and subwoofer. Or would it be better to get a pre-built set.

Receiver wise I just need something that will passthrough 4k and has a USB. Budget is €550-600 but I can stretch a bit.

Thanks!
    Hi SierraTango

Thanks @The Ritz :)

Congrats on the new pad and graduating to a proper separates system!

The M10's are a really good budget speaker and work really well in stereo applications but I'm not sure I would use them in this application as they are quite large ( gotta keep the Boss happy) but more importantly because they don't currently have a matching centre and sub that are voiced to match the M10's.

If it was me with a decent budget I would probably stick with a well matched Sub / Sat package such as the Elac Cinema 5.1 and match it with the Denon AVRX550 - we have a bundled package on those here:
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-13474-denon-avrx550-elac-cinema-5-1-speaker-pack-av-receiver-and-5-1-speaker-package.aspx

...which amazingly for me actually come in under budget :) 

If you wanted to maximise the quality you could also just purchase an AV Receiver and a stereo pair of speakers and gradually build up the system over time as budget allows - this is a great way of actually enjoying seeing where the real improvements are derived from as you add to your system over time - however of course you do not get the complete experience from day one - but in the longer term you 100% end up with a better system.

If you were interested in this approach I would recommend the Denon AVRX2500 and initially I would partner these with the Monitor Audio Radius 90 speakers - as separates these are £737 - but we would reduce them to £599 in a bundle - you would eventually add a centre / Sub and rears over time to get the complete R90 HT12 kit which looks and sounds fantastic!!
    https://www.monitoraudio.com/en/product-ranges/radius/radius-r90ht12/

https://www.whathifi.com/denon/avr-x2500h/review

Thanks again for the post have a mooch around the site at www.richersounds.ie and keep us posted if we can help in any way,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭SierraTango

Thanks John! Plenty to think about for now..

• Company Representative Posts: 17,277 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Thanks John! Plenty to think about for now..
    No worries SierraTango.

Let us know once you have had a check over the items.

• Advertisement

No worries SierraTango.

Hi Kenny,

I'm liking the look of the Elac Cinema 5.1 and match it with the Denon AVRX550 and the LG OLED55B8. I see its got 150£ off and there's an option for the SLA model.

What's the best deal you could do on this delivered to Cork?

No worries SierraTango.

Hi Kenny,

I'm liking the look of the Elac Cinema 5.1 and match it with the Denon AVRX550 and the LG OLED55B8. I see its got 150£ off and there's an option for the SLA model.

What's the best deal you could do on this delivered to Cork?
    Hi SierraTango,

The best price I could do on that would be £1438 delivered to Cork.

Let me know if you would like to go for that.

Kind regards

David

Budget woes again!

The Denon AVRX550 and Elac Cinema 5.1 package and LG 55SK8100PLA should give me Dolby Vision for a decent price. Holding off on a UHD player for now. Are there any 55sk8500 still lurking? I saw them mentioned in another post.

Can I order over the phone on Saturdays?

Thanks again.

Budget woes again!

The Denon AVRX550 and Elac Cinema 5.1 package and LG 55SK8100PLA should give me Dolby Vision for a decent price. Holding off on a UHD player for now. Are there any 55sk8500 still lurking? I saw them mentioned in another post.

Can I order over the phone on Saturdays?

Thanks again.
    Hey SierraTango.

There are some of the 55SK8500 still available but the deal that was offered in a previous post is now finished unfortunately and they are back at full price at £749.00

Best deal I could do at the minute would be
    AVRX550 with the Elac 5.1 still priced at £449
    LG 55SK8100 - priced at £649.00 and we have a voucher code (TV30) which drops it down to £619.
    Delivery would bve £6.99.
    Total = £1074.99

There is no issue ordering over the phone on a Saturday :)

I think I'll have to get the 55SK8500 even at the price, does the TV30 voucher work on that too?

I'll ring there and sort it out :)

• Advertisement

I think I'll have to get the 55SK8500 even at the price, does the TV30 voucher work on that too?

I'll ring there and sort it out :)
    Hi SierraTango.

I've checked over the 8500 and I can get it down to £699 including the TV30 voucher.

So we can offer the system including the 55SK8500 for £1148 delivered.

Everything is arrived and set. It's perfect! Thanks Kenny and to Chris in store who sorted me over the phone!

• Company Representative Posts: 4,458 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: DavidS

Everything is arrived and set. It's perfect! Thanks Kenny and to Chris in store who sorted me over the phone!
    Hi SierraTango,

Thanks so much for the post! Delighted to hear you;re happy with the set up, I'll make sure to pass your message on to Kenny and Chris!

Enjoy the system!

Kind regards

David

Hey RS,

Finally moved into the new house and went to open the boxes to install the system. The sound side is all good but when I opened the tv box I noticed the frame is buckled and the top side of the tv screen is shattered like a hammer hit it.

There's no marks on the styrofoam inside so I don't know what happened to it? I knows it's been a while since the actual purchase but is there anything we can do? I left a message on the store voicemail in a bit of a panic!

Thanks,

SierraTango
    Hi SierraTango,

Thanks so much for the post! Delighted to hear you;re happy with the set up, I'll make sure to pass your message on to Kenny and Chris!

Enjoy the system!

Kind regards

David

Hey RS,

Finally moved into the new house and went to open the boxes to install the system. The sound side is all good but when I opened the tv box I noticed the frame is buckled and the top side of the tv screen is shattered like a hammer hit it.

There's no marks on the styrofoam inside so I don't know what happened to it? I knows it's been a while since the actual purchase but is there anything we can do? I left a message on the store voicemail in a bit of a panic!

Thanks,

SierraTango
    Hi SierraTango,

Enjoy the system!

Kind regards

David
    Hi SierraTango.

Sorry to hear there is an issue with your purchase.

If you could send me you details that you purchased under to sale@Richersounds.ie and include some photos of the TV and the box please.

I can then find you on our system and see what we can do.

Normally if a product is damages it needs reported to our courier pretty much straight away and as now some time has passed from it was delivered and the TV has been in storage it could prove difficult to say when the damaged occurred.

Send me over the details and we can take it from there.

Thanks Kenny, I'll get the details and photos to you ASAP.

Hi SierraTango.

If you could send me you details that you purchased under to sale@Richersounds.ie and include some photos of the TV and the box please.

Normally if a product is damages it needs reported to our courier pretty much straight away and as now some time has passed from it was delivered and the TV has been in storage it could prove difficult to say when the damaged occurred.

Thanks Kenny, I'll get the details and photos to you ASAP.

Hi SierraTango.

No problem SierraTango.

I'll keep my eye out for them arriving over.

Have the TV is set up and perfect. Thanks for the help!
    No problem SierraTango.

• Company Representative Posts: 4,458 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: DavidS

Have the TV is set up and perfect. Thanks for the help!
    No problem SierraTango.

Hi Sierra Tango,

Thanks for the post! Delighted to hear you're happy with the TV!

If you have any issues or need anything else please don't hesitate to drop us a post!

Kind regards

David

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.