Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unhappy with Mate 20 Pro...battery

• 28-01-2019 11:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭

Bought phone from 3 shop 5 days ago, and was really looking forward to the great battery life. Barely lasts me the day with light use.

I installed AccuBattery (Pro) and it ells me the design capacity I.E. Battery capacity is 1000mAh.

This cannot be correct, so I changed it to 4200 mAh which is the correct setting..

It is telling me my battery health is 92%. What is going on, as I feel battery life is not that good. Do I have a faulty phone??

How do I go about getting it replaced? They can't replicate a fault in store, don't know what to do :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

dragona wrote: »
    Bought phone from 3 shop 5 days ago, and was really looking forward to the great battery life. Barely lasts me the day with light use.

I installed AccuBattery (Pro) and it ells me the design capacity I.E. Battery capacity is 1000mAh.

This cannot be correct, so I changed it to 4200 mAh which is the correct setting..

It is telling me my battery health is 92%. What is going on, as I feel battery life is not that good. Do I have a faulty phone??

How do I go about getting it replaced? They can't replicate a fault in store, don't know what to do :(

You definitely have a fault. I get two days with pretty heavy use.

How long does it take to charge with the fast charger?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭dragona

Charges pretty fast with the supplied charger, I have reset it twice, cleared cache, don't know what else to do!

Charges pretty fast with the supplied charger, I have reset it twice, cleared cache, don't know what else to do!

How fast is pretty fast? It should fully charge in about an hour and comfortably last two days of normal use.

If not, you have a faulty phone.

How fast is pretty fast? It should fully charge in about an hour and comfortably last two days of normal use.

If not, you have a faulty phone.

I think it is faulty :( How will I get it replaced :( Gutted

I think it is faulty :( How will I get it replaced :( Gutted

Do you have it connected to a smart watch?

• Advertisement

Basil3 wrote: »
    Do you have it connected to a smart watch?

No. Just normal I would say light use, 10 mins off Facebook at night. Charged it to 100 % last night and took it off charge before I went to sleep. Went from 100 to 88% over 9 hours while I was sleeping.

No. Just normal I would say light use, 10 mins off Facebook at night. Charged it to 100 % last night and took it off charge before I went to sleep. Went from 100 to 88% over 9 hours while I was sleeping.

That sounds like an app is draining the battery - mine would only lose about 2% overnight.

There's fairly detailed information in Battery settings as to what's using the battery. have a look and see what's going on.

That sounds like an app is draining the battery - mine would only lose about 2% overnight.

There's fairly detailed information in Battery settings as to what's using the battery. have a look and see what's going on.

Huawei home 6.50% that seems to be the highest app percentage

Hardware.
    Screen at 45.29% and cell standby is 16.13%

Huawei home 6.50% that seems to be the highest app percentage

Hardware.
    Screen at 45.29% and cell standby is 16.13%

Looks like a faulty battery then.

Do a factory reset. Only install the absolute bare minimum of apps you need to survive without any social media stuff. Monitor your battery for a couple of days and see what it's like.

It's pretty clear there is a rogue app draining your battery, but Huawei's usually give you a warning if an app is draining in the background. I'd be pretty surprised if the fault is hardware rather than software.

• Advertisement

Do a factory reset. Only install the absolute bare minimum of apps you need to survive without any social media stuff. Monitor your battery for a couple of days and see what it's like.

It's pretty clear there is a rogue app draining your battery, but Huawei's usually give you a warning if an app is draining in the background. I'd be pretty surprised if the fault is hardware rather than software.

It's because of that Huawei warning that I'm leaning towards a hardware fault. The battery settings information is very detailed and any app running aggressively is flagged.

That said, a factory reset would tell a lot.

Went back to the three shop today, explained all. Guy in shop took a couple of photos of the battery stats, and said he will call me back, I just want a new phone:(

I had an HTC U11 previously, with all the same apps installed, and a lower capacity battery, and phone would last me all day with 45% or so at the end of the day. All settings the same.

I'm convinced it's a faulty battery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

The battery only showing up as 1000mAh doesn't sound right. Any chance it's a fake? Does everything else seem legitimate with it?

I installed a battery id app, it's says battery is 4200 mAh. very strange.

Got phone from 3 shop, must be legit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,168 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

went to bed early last night , 10pm ,had charged my phone. checked my phone at around 7am and was 100% battery still

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Switch off phone before you go to sleep, no point in having it on after midnight ,set alarm for 8am if you think someone might phone you in the morning.
    Turn off mobile data , it uses a lot of battery even if you are not using the internet.
    set brightness to 40 per cent unless you are watching a video,using the web browser .
    Set display, brightness /settings, turn off display after 30 seconds .
    i have a new phone sony experia.
    I Charged it once to 70 per cent.it lasted for 3 days .
    After i charged it it says onscreen 3days 14hours usage time left,
    i mostly use it in stamina power saving mode.
    Its still under gaurantee ,you can go back and ask for a replacement.
    i bought my phone last week,i turned on phone,i went to apps,i disabled all the apps i don,t use,eg facebook,google music, amazon,google maps ,
    about 12 apps disabled.
    Most apps use up the battery and take up ram memory unless they are disabled .
    Even my old experia z sony phone has 24 hours battery life if i charge it to
    80 per cent.
    If you leave a phone charging over 100 per cent you can damage the battery.
    i charge my phone only to 90 per cent and then unplug it.
    The sony experia l2 phone is only 100 euro, in eir shops, on prepay ,or billpay.
    3gig ram, 3000ma battery.32gig storage.

Recalibration
    This means running a battery down to zero then charging it to full in one sitting. This is said to recalibrate the battery.

Recalibration won't hurt anything but it might not do anything, either.

Laptops may benefit from a recalibration cycle if the battery level icon has the wrong reading. The software that controls this on a laptop is a good bit different from your Android, though. Some experts claim you need to recalibrate your battery from time to time or when you see an issue, but others say it won;t do anything.

Fully cycling the battery in your phone every once in a while isn't going to break anything. It's not something we recommend you do every day because of that charge cycle life we talked about up the page. If you think you need to do it to fix something, go for it.

https://www.androidcentral.com/how-take-care-your-phones-battery

I read reviews before i buy a phone,i just look for a phone with a 5.5 inch screen and good battery life, that has a power saving mode .
    With good battery life , at least 2 days normal use on one charge.
    just turn on mobile data ,in settings , when you want to use the internet or an app that needs web acess .

riclad wrote: »
    Switch off phone before you go to sleep, no point in having it on after midnight ,set alarm for 8am if you think someone might phone you in the morning.
    Turn off mobile data , it uses a lot of battery even if you are not using the internet.
    set brightness to 40 per cent unless you are watching a video,using the web browser .
    Set display, brightness /settings, turn off display after 30 seconds .
    i have a new phone sony experia.
    I Charged it once to 70 per cent.it lasted for 3 days .
    After i charged it it says onscreen 3days 14hours usage time left,
    i mostly use it in stamina power saving mode.
    Its still under gaurantee ,you can go back and ask for a replacement.
    i bought my phone last week,i turned on phone,i went to apps,i disabled all the apps i don,t use,eg facebook,google music, amazon,google maps ,
    about 12 apps disabled.
    Most apps use up the battery and take up ram memory unless they are disabled .
    Even my old experia z sony phone has 24 hours battery life if i charge it to
    80 per cent.
    If you leave a phone charging over 100 per cent you can damage the battery.
    i charge my phone only to 90 per cent and then unplug it.
    The sony experia l2 phone is only 100 euro, in eir shops, on prepay ,or billpay.
    3gig ram, 3000ma battery.32gig storage.

Recalibration
    This means running a battery down to zero then charging it to full in one sitting. This is said to recalibrate the battery.

Recalibration won't hurt anything but it might not do anything, either.

Laptops may benefit from a recalibration cycle if the battery level icon has the wrong reading. The software that controls this on a laptop is a good bit different from your Android, though. Some experts claim you need to recalibrate your battery from time to time or when you see an issue, but others say it won;t do anything.

Fully cycling the battery in your phone every once in a while isn't going to break anything. It's not something we recommend you do every day because of that charge cycle life we talked about up the page. If you think you need to do it to fix something, go for it.

https://www.androidcentral.com/how-take-care-your-phones-battery

I read reviews before i buy a phone,i just look for a phone with a 5.5 inch screen and good battery life, that has a power saving mode .
    With good battery life , at least 2 days normal use on one charge.
    just turn on mobile data ,in settings , when you want to use the internet or an app that needs web acess .

Although I agree with some of what you say, most people couldn't be bothered with going to such lengths just to extend your battery life a bit. I want to use my smart phone like a smart phone, I don't want to be disabling anything.

The fact of the matter is the Mate 20 Pro should get great battery life without having to do anything extra to squeeze more out of it.

I disable apps that i do not use ,like google maps ,amazon,facebook,google music, this extend,s battery life ,why have apps taking up ram and updating when you never use them.
    IF you use all the apps on your phone and browse the web on it ,thats fine .Thats your choice .

maybe the mate 20 is using up the battery fast because its downloading updates for apps, and searching for a 3g data signal constantlyl .
    the only way to find out is to turn off mobile data in wireless settings .

I choose to turn off mobile data ,because i just found it used up my phone battery to a significant extent , and i only use the internet on my laptop or my pc.
    i only use my phone in wifi mode maybe once every 2 months to download
    an app .

If i turn on mobile data i think my battery would last maybe 1/3 of the
    time it lasts at the moment.
    At the moment its in power saving mode ,
    it says 4days 0hours usage left on the home screen ,in stamina power saving mode.

It may also be more secure to disable apps that you will never use ,even unused apps may use up data ,when downloading updates .
    Go to wireless , settings, make sure wifi is Off , Bluetooth is off

https://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_mate_20_pro-9343.php

it says the battery is 4200 ma h

riclad wrote: »
    I disable apps that i do not use ,like google maps ,amazon,facebook,google music, this extend,s battery life ,why have apps taking up ram and updating when you never use them.
    IF you use all the apps on your phone and browse the web on it ,thats fine .Thats your choice .

maybe the mate 20 is using up the battery fast because its downloading updates for apps, and searching for a 3g data signal constantlyl .
    the only way to find out is to turn off mobile data in wireless settings .

I choose to turn off mobile data ,because i just found it used up my phone battery to a significant extent , and i only use the internet on my laptop or my pc.
    i only use my phone in wifi mode maybe once every 2 months to download
    an app .

If i turn on mobile data i think my battery would last maybe 1/3 of the
    time it lasts at the moment.
    At the moment its in power saving mode ,
    it says 4days 0hours usage left on the home screen ,in stamina power saving mode.

It may also be more secure to disable apps that you will never use ,even unused apps may use up data ,when downloading updates .
    Go to wireless , settings, make sure wifi is Off , Bluetooth is off

https://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_mate_20_pro-9343.php

it says the battery is 4200 ma h

Oh FFS. Why would someone spend the guts of €1000 on a phone and then essentially turn it off. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,168 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Oh FFS. Why would someone spend the guts of €1000 on a phone and then essentially turn it off. :rolleyes:

I was thinking the same, may as well buy a 3310 if you are not going to use nearly everything ! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

☝🏻This. That long solution to batt saving made me feel sad for the OP!!

I have disabled all apps that I don't use, stopped stupid like Twitter running in background. I am Not going to turn off data at night.

I was suggesting turning off apps that you do Not use .
    if you spent 1000, euro on a phone ,you should bring it back to the shop if you are only getting 1 day on a full charge.
    when i say 1 day i mean 8am til midnight .
    i just finished charging my phone for the second time .
    it has a 3000 ma h battery.it took 4 hours to charge , with battery care mode on.
    on the home screen it says 4d 20hour ,eg estimated 4days 20 hours , time left on battery in stamina power saving mode.
    If i switch on standard mode it should give me at least 2 days battery life.
    i don,t use mobile data on this phone.
    i bought it about 6 days ago.

When i had a samsung phone 3 years ago it would last about 8hours
    if i used it on 3G data to tether to my laptop .

Ok been back to the Three shop twice now.

They are not disputing faulty battery. Suggested they send it away to be *looked at*

I'm not happy with this and said I want an exchange. Because the phone came with a smartwatch and charger, it was a *bundle* and they can only exchange like for like. They do not have another *bundle pack* in store and don't know if they can get one. Won't swap out just the phone.

I said I had given the watch to my son (true) and he said to try and get it back then!

Never heard of anything so ridiculous, so if the watch or charger was faulty would they have to swap the phone out too as it all came together??

I am beyond pissed off.

Ok been back to the Three shop twice now.

They are not disputing faulty battery. Suggested they send it away to be *looked at*

I'm not happy with this and said I want an exchange. Because the phone came with a smartwatch and charger, it was a *bundle* and they can only exchange like for like. They do not have another *bundle pack* in store and don't know if they can get one. Won't swap out just the phone.

I said I had given the watch to my son (true) and he said to try and get it back then!

Never heard of anything so ridiculous, so if the watch or charger was faulty would they have to swap the phone out too as it all came together??

I am beyond pissed off.

I would have tried to troubleshoot the issue myself first, starting with a factory reset.

I would have tried to troubleshoot the issue myself first, starting with a factory reset.

Factory reset twice already

Factory reset twice already

And it still drained without installing any apps?

Ah no idea why would I leave it running for a day with no apps that would be useless. I don't want good battery life with no apps running

Ah no idea why would I leave it running for a day with no apps that would be useless. I don't want good battery life with no apps running

It's to determine whether one of the apps you installed is causing the drain.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

They gave you the smart watch and charger in store then?.

As I am thinking about buying the mate 20 Pro and the sales told me they are not doing it now

It's to determine whether one of the apps you installed is causing the drain.....

Nothing weird. Facebook. Instagram. Fitbit, an email app,Reddit,Whatsapp, Amazon Shopping, thats it really. My FitnessPal,BOI mobile..... nothing that would explain such poor battery.

No games, nothing much else,the Aldi app, surely its normal to install some apps

Nothing weird. Facebook. Instagram. Fitbit, an email app,Reddit,Whatsapp, Amazon Shopping, thats it really. My FitnessPal,BOI mobile..... nothing that would explain such poor battery.

No games, nothing much else,the Aldi app, surely its normal to install some apps

It is normal to install apps, but you're having abnormal drain. If your phone doesn't drain like crazy without any third party apps installed, then your issue is probably software rather than hardware.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't ever install apps, but it's worth putting in a little effort to see if you can fix your issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭turdball

Get rid of myfitnessPal would be my first piece of advice.

A notorious battery drainer. Just google the app and you will see nothing but complaints.

Test the phone again for a day without it and you will see a big improvement. I'm pretty convinced this is it.

If it is that application then re-install and google how to fix the battery drainage issue or get rid of it alltogether. Could be issues with your version of Android and the model of the phone.

That's what I 100% reckon it is. Are you in an area with full 3G or 4G coverage also.

turdball wrote: »
    Get rid of myfitnessPal would be my first piece of advice.

A notorious battery drainer. Just google the app and you will see nothing but complaints.

Test the phone again for a day without it and you will see a big improvement. I'm pretty convinced this is it.

If it is that application then re-install and google how to fix the battery drainage issue or get rid of it alltogether. Could be issues with your version of Android and the model of the phone.

That's what I 100% reckon it is. Are you in an area with full 3G or 4G coverage also.

Ok I'll uninstall. Had it before on my Htc U11 with no drain. I'm on Android 9, in Mullingar, seemingly great coverage. I'm really REALLY pissed off.

Well.....
    Battery life seems to be a bit better, I think.
    Spoke to guy in three shop, they would have to send phone away to determine if it is a battery issue.My word against theirs.I'm pretty sure they would say battery is fine, though I KNOW it's not

Some improvement after fiddling around with settings. Not sure what to do tbh.
    I have disabled a lot of auto launch apps, might have something to do with it.

Definitely disappointed though.I'm stuck with it for the next 24 months.

• Advertisement

They gave you the smart watch and charger in store then?.

As I am thinking about buying the mate 20 Pro and the sales told me they are not doing it now

Don't think it is still available :( Apparently I got the last *bundle* in store, in Mullingar. Was told the offer ended long ago, guess I was just lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Thanks I called 2 stores in Cork with no luck so need to luck outside the city now ha

Just to update. I have spent an AGE fiddling with settings,manually managing apps, and battery life appears to be better.
    Il see in a few days I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭turdball

Just tell three shop the battery is ****ed and let them send it off for a new battery if still not happy

Advertisement