Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Survivor: Edge of Extinction (US)-[**SPOILERS**]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

As others have pointed out that was another boring episode. Delighted wardog got the boot though - he is so full of himself!

• Registered Users Posts: 60,698 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Brillant :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Devens is the man! Really hope he wins it now, would be happy with him or Victoria as both have played great games, one under the radar and the other over the top in some respects.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Agreed, unfortunately I can't see Victoria winning.

I love how into it the jury are, and I don't even care if they go base their final decision on who's the showiest at TC as opposed to who's playing the best game!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Devens is the man! Really hope he wins it now, would be happy with him or Victoria as both have played great games, one under the radar and the other over the top in some respects.

The jury are definitely on his side! Is Victoria the whingy one? The Etsy seller?

• Advertisement

Loved the episode! Great play by him :)
    I don't think Victoria has any shot at winning. Don't think she will even make final 3.
    Dovies wrote: »
    The jury are definitely on his side! Is Victoria the whingy one? The Etsy seller?

No the Etsy seller is Julie, Victoria is the young ginger lol

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Yeah Rick is the man but can't see any r reason why Victoria would be a worthy sole survivor?

Rick does it again.

If Rick doesn't end up as a sole survivor there is no justice.

He's playing a blinder.

How lazy are the rest virtually giving him a free pass to look for HIIs?:eek:

He's like a wittier, more likeable Mike Holloway idoling and IC winning his way to the title. Crazy how that's one of the rare occasions that he's actually voted with the majority.

Edit: Actually it's probably more like some Mike/Ben hybrid game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Rick lying down and chilling behind a log while the rest of them run around looking for him is the highlight of the season so far. I hope he can pull off the win - no one deserves it more.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Username exists

He's been absolutely amazing so far playing a great game. He was so chilled out behind the log it was brilliant viewing. These people are supposed fans of survivor who aren't arsed to look for an idol.

Everyone knows as soon as one is played it comes back into play. And Rick is out there looking. If he doesn't win there'll be no justice he fully deserves it with his mind games and explosive energy while running around the island messing with their heads.

He's been the best player I've seen since Russel Hantz.

My favourite bit was him climbing the tree at camp to get the idol.

That's a bold claim and can't say I agree. I wouldn't even be a big fan of Hantz.

Devins is a cracking character and I'm sure the fact that he works in front of a camera helps a lot but he's had very little control of the game. He's voted against the majority just as much as he's been on the right side of the numbers and one of those times he was blindsided it was himself that was voted out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

A frustrating end but I have to respect that final move Chris made.

The most undeserving winner wins beating the most deserving player in any season of the game but that's the game.

Going to fire is all he did in the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Weakest final three in survivor history and next season looks awful, more returning 'players' guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭jeoun

Terrible end to the season - undeserving winner.

I think I may skip next season - awful Boston Rob and Sandra. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Username exists

Terrible final 3, winner done feck all for the season. The next season looks absolutely dreadful, survivor school is in session. No thanks, can't stand those 2 mouthy ex winners.

Lauren and Victoria looked absolutely gorgeous at the reunion show.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

jeoun wrote: »
    Terrible end to the season - undeserving winner.

I think I may skip next season - awful Boston Rob and Sandra. :p

Skipped over the end so didn't see the bit about next season. Boston Rob is back?? Think I might skip that too. Don't remember Sandra

Haven't finished watching the final yet so posting this without reading other comments (so apologies if someone already posted this).

Ashley Massaro from Survivor China passed away (she was the wrestler)

https://www.bbc.com/news/newsbeat-48298504

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭jeoun

Dovies wrote: »
    Skipped over the end so didn't see the bit about next season. Boston Rob is back?? Think I might skip that too. Don't remember Sandra

Sandra is the only two time winner - won Pearl Islands and Heroes vs Villians. Was also back for Game Changers but was voted out. Next season,
    her and Rob are "mentors" to the other contestants so they cannot be voted out so we have to endure them for every episode.

Thought Joe was going to be the one who came back and won out. I wonder would people think he's a more deserving winner. I liked this season but think it's biggest problem is that all the time spent with the returning players meant the likes of Gavin, Chris and Julia didn't get enough of an arc themselves along with it being set up for someone to walk back in and win the game (still feel they wanted it to be Joe).

While the season won't be remembered for its winner or final 3 I do think it was a very good final episode. I really enjoyed the final tribal and it really did feel like it w anyone's game when it rarely does.

Well that was a real let down,the concept of the edge of extinction was fatally flawed by the overly late reentry point of the final returning player.

It could have worked if the cut off point to head to the edge of extinction came at the last vote off pre the merge hence offering the returning player an opportunity to truly work his/her way back into the game.

As it was we saw little of Chris excepting his reflections on his initial vote out changing his mindset as to how he'd play the game.He played an excellent game upon reentry garnering loyalty and offering same to the extremely vulnerable player of the season yet making an inspired decision if a tad foretold at final 4.

I was gutted Joe Amazing did'nt come back but to answer the question I'd have still have felt uneasy and equally have felt he was unworthy of the title of sole survivor ala Aegon the unworthy in spite of my undoubted bias in favour of a truly great player.I do not believe would have made the final 4 call to give up immunity.Having said all that Gavin would have stood a decent chance of beating Rick.

TBH I thought the final tribal was really poor with the jury and final 3 talking over each other,really poor questions oft not relating to the outwit,outplay and outlast strands.

Chris was possibly the most deserving of a less than satisfactory final 3.Yet as Gavin stated he'd an unfair of advantage of possessing of much information that was valuable to the players still in the game.The edge of extinction offers a different sort of challenge to the active game,a want to endure hardship for a remote possibility to reenter the game.Yet to an extent I'd imagine(little coverage of the edge of extinction) you can switch off mentally as you don't face the prospect of a vote off.

I am still hurting when post Rick's lose in the fire challenge.He did do much in the game to defeat the onerous odds.TBF it was a miracle he went so deep into the game with the huge target on his back.He was a very clever player,very accomplished in the challenges most especially puzzles.His ultimate mistake was his inability to betray Chris a second time and return the idol,honour was most important.

However he did rely heavily on mopping up returning HIIs which seemed to conveniently pop up in locations in the midst of the night.Loved the craic with the fake HIIs,although Jeff pretty much summed up my take with his jibe "Anybody else?":rolleyes

So hoping for some changes to the edge of extinction and less reliance on HIIs.

seligehgit wrote: »
    TBH I thought the final tribal was really poor with the jury and final 3 talking over each other,really poor questions oft not relating to the outwit,outplay and outlast strands.
    Interesting we have opposing views on this. I thought it was the best final TC since the move to the newer format. I really dislike the outwit, outlast and outplay framing for the discussion but love the open debate. Trying to pigeon hole questions into those 3 categories does a disservice to the game imo.

I think Chris returning from edge and making final 3 may add further fuel to the fire that at the end of the day survivor is a social experiment and the Jury often votes on personal relationships over game merit. A quick look at the vote and most appear to have voted for the person they spent the most time with Victoria and Ron being the big outliers. Actually, but harsh Victoria didn't vote for Gavin!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Did not like Chris at all, cringing at his fake speeches, Americans expect that crap though.

Good season overall, very entertaining.

Cannot believe they're bringing those 2 back and giving them permanent immunity, that is not Survivor.

I also guess Chris ended up being somewhat of a surrogate for the Jury. If they went through all that hardship & effort with the belief that there was a small change they could win themselves back into the game, play a perfect final few days leading to wining the million then there's no way they think 'Chris doesn't deserve it based on number of days played in the actual game'.

Next season is not looking great but rumours are that Season 40 will have a few big tricks up it's sleeves whether that's what the public want or not.

So I finally got to watch the finale and re-union and I don't think Chris deserved to win! I must find out why the people who voted for him actually gave him their votes.

From the final 3 I think Gavin deserved to win the most, I thought he played a good game and didn't receive a single vote. Chris was voted out and came back in the game for the final 6 - that is way too close to the final if you ask me! Ballsy of him to give up final immunity though! I'm guessing that is what earnt him a lot of the final votes. Would have loved Devens to win, he played a very clever game and came back to the game early enough from EOE that he actually had to fight to stay in (and always had a target on his back)

Not sure what to make of Season 39 ... so Rob and Sandra aren't contestants but are advisers? And the people won't get help easily? I dunno .... the whole concept sounds terrible to me and I hate the giant beach statues! If I was a superfan contestant on Season 39 and saw those two I wouldn't be jumping for joy. They have had their time in the spotlight........

and (S40 spoiler/rumour)
    are meant to be contestants on Season 40!

kingtut wrote: »
    So I finally got to watch the finale and re-union and I don't think Chris deserved to win! I must find out why the people who voted for him actually gave him their votes.

From the final 3 I think Gavin deserved to win the most, I thought he played a good game and didn't receive a single vote. Chris was voted out and came back in the game for the final 6 - that is way too close to the final if you ask me! Ballsy of him to give up final immunity though! I'm guessing that is what earnt him a lot of the final votes. Would have loved Devens to win, he played a very clever game and came back to the game early enough from EOE that he actually had to fight to stay in (and always had a target on his back)

Not sure what to make of Season 39 ... so Rob and Sandra aren't contestants but are advisers? And the people won't get help easily? I dunno .... the whole concept sounds terrible to me and I hate the giant beach statues! If I was a superfan contestant on Season 39 and saw those two I wouldn't be jumping for joy. They have had their time in the spotlight........

and (S40 spoiler/rumour)
    are meant to be contestants on Season 40!

He received 4 votes to Chris's 9.:)

I disliked the excessively large jury.

seligehgit wrote: »
    He received 4 votes to Chris's 9.:)

I disliked the excessively large jury.

Sorry I meant he didn't receive any votes AGAINST him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I just caught up with the last few episodes this morning. The Edge of Extinction mechanic was a flop, for sure. It was probably of more benefit for those who were voted out (so they can continue survivor instead of going home or sitting in a hotel room for a few weeks). We didn't get anything out of it apart from 30 seconds per episode and a couple of extra challenges.

Out of the top 5, I was gutted that Rick didn't win. The fire challenge screwed him.
    I'd put money on him coming back an all-star.

I'm not as negative as you guys on next season. It could be interesting or it could be a crap gimmick.

See you next season. :o

Advertisement