Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I mad to buy a buy to let

Options
  • 28-01-2019 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

I’m pretty clued into the do’s and don’t of being a landlord etc. a house ready to rent has come up for sale close enough to me. The house is ready to rent immediately and I’d be getting just over 11 percent return before tax on my investment.

Am I mad for even considering getting caught up in this, a part of me thinks the market is going to collapse any day now but people will always need a place to rent etc.

Any advice be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,607 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭ShaneC93

I personally think you would be have to be completely mad to buy now even with cash.

A recession within a couple of years is as good as guaranteed at this stage and we could even be in one by mid next year with a couple of EU countries in technical recession already. Between Brexit, US shutdown and China's economy weak this could easily be as big as the last one too.

My advice is leave it a few years, if the housing market colapses in that time (bearing in-mind there has already been a massive slowdown in the past few months, way quicker than expected) then you'll stand to gain much more by buying when prices are down. In the mean-time you could just invest in a REIT to still earn from the a good ROI while the market is good while protecting yourself against the growing risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭overkill602

High taxation, regulation, anti ll stigma, no laws to protect LLs from arrears/tenant damage, loss of ownership rights, extra admin, indefinite tenancies, tenant compo, criminal prosecution, constant media negativity, enforced social responsibility.
    Nah I'd leave it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭dubrov

11% is a great return in Dublin. Even if there is a bit if a downturn you'd still be doing well.

If it is in the country, I wouldn't touch it. 11% can turn into 0% very easily

• Registered Users Posts: 10,116 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Run away as fast as you can!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Depends how steady the rental income in future is going to be. If you are near a hospital or college, then 11% is a great gross return, even allowing for the current massive demand and high rents, and low cost of capital.

Yes, all of the risks are there (overholding, reduced options for renting short term, etc) but if you manage them properly it could be a great investment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Leg it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

In a provincial town, the money is small and capital appreciation is small. Maintenance is often higher because of the higher square footage. I saw a 3 bed house in a country village advertised as let at €560 a month. I know people paying that for a small bedroom in Dublin. €560 is not going to go far in terms of paint, garden maintenance. renewals and repairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

I wouldnt wish being a landlord on my worst enemy these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭soirish

If the house is in good location the rental income could be solid even during crisis.

• Advertisement

soirish wrote: »
    If the house is in good location the rental income could be solid even during crisis.

Rents will go down everywhere in a crisis. The bigger they are, the harder they fall.

Rents will go down everywhere in a crisis. The bigger they are, the harder they fall.

In general the smaller they are the harder they fall in a property crash

dubrov wrote: »
    In general the smaller they are the harder they fall in a property crash

The don't have as much room to fall. In the last 10 years 3 bed apartments in the sweepstakes in Ballsbridge were let at €1500 per month. That was the market rent. That was a massive drop from previously and well below the current.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭milhous

Would rent not stay fairly steady? Less people can afford mortgages, increased amount of people renting or not leaving the rental market to buy. No signs of HAPS changing or social housing being built.

Also on the outside Dublin thing, don't a lot of county Councils rent private rented accomm for up to 10years, 80% of market value iirc and hand it back in the same condition? Maybe this has changed

milhous wrote: »
    Would rent not stay fairly steady? Less people can afford mortgages, increased amount of people renting or not leaving the rental market to buy. No signs of HAPS changing or social housing being built.

Also on the outside Dublin thing, don't a lot of county Councils rent private rented accomm for up to 10years, 80% of market value iirc and hand it back in the same condition? Maybe this has changed

Rents rise and fall with the market. When jobs are scarce people emigrate, don't go to college and just don't offer a higher rent to secure a place. when people realise they have a choice of properties they tend to bid down.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

I doubt a country ranked on the first ten by HDI will have a massive emigration. I believe on the other trend that is more people coming and no building that will reduce the available properties on the market. I bought an apartment in another european years ago for 1/10 of what the same apartment would cost in Ireland, it is rented but it will not appreciate as that country have a totally different demographics trends with the population reducing. I can't see the population of Ireland reducing so it means always a demand for rent.

The don't have as much room to fall. In the last 10 years 3 bed apartments in the sweepstakes in Ballsbridge were let at €1500 per month. That was the market rent. That was a massive drop from previously and well below the current.

Rent was about 1800 for a 3 bed in the sweepstakes in 2006 so the drop there wasn't too bad.

Think of a small village in Leitrim nowhere close to employment centres. It would have been difficult to rent at any price in 2008

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

adam88 wrote: »
    Am I mad for even considering getting caught up in this, a part of me thinks the market is going to collapse any day now but people will always need a place to rent etc.
    It's illegal not to rent to someone on HAP, if someone pays one month, and then goes on HAP, you cannot say no. A few pf the loonie left are trying hard to make it illegal to evict people, and if someone does get in, you can only get rid of them if they don't pay rent, and when they stop paying rent, it'll take a year to get them out, all the time they may not may a cent, you won't get back rent, and you'll have to pay a sheriff to evict them, as the PTRB, who will fine you if you do anything bad, will be toothless when trying to evict someone who owes you rent.

So no, now is not a good time to rent.

If it was a good time to rent, why would the seller be trying to sell it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

ShaneC93 wrote: »
    I personally think you would be have to be completely mad to buy now even with cash.

A recession within a couple of years is as good as guaranteed at this stage and we could even be in one by mid next year with a couple of EU countries in technical recession already. Between Brexit, US shutdown and China's economy weak this could easily be as big as the last one too.

My advice is leave it a few years, if the housing market colapses in that time (bearing in-mind there has already been a massive slowdown in the past few months, way quicker than expected) then you'll stand to gain much more by buying when prices are down. In the mean-time you could just invest in a REIT to still earn from the a good ROI while the market is good while protecting yourself against the growing risk.

Am I right in saying that the yearly return from say for example Hibernia reit is just over 1.5 percent??? What your hoping for with the reit is capital appreciation ??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭storker

Take the same money and invest it in a property-based managed fund. Let some one else deal with the headaches.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

Hi all.

I’m pretty clued into the do’s and don’t of being a landlord etc. a house ready to rent has come up for sale close enough to me. The house is ready to rent immediately and I’d be getting just over 11 percent return before tax on my investment.

Any advice be greatly appreciated.

i wouldn't say you are mad, but i would urge a large dollop of caution. certainly if it were me i would wait until this whole Brexit business is over. few if any people really know how it's going to pan out, and i dont buy the Govt/EU spin anymore than i buy the UK's.

11% return on the face of it seems very good. maybe too good possibly?
    as someone else said on here, if the property is in a good area of Dublin, then it could well be worth a punt. if it's in a provincial town, i would steer clear. country rents are not as predictable as city rents. tenants tend to be more troublesome also. Dublin is full of highly paid professionals desperate to get a decent place.
    i've had the same Dublin tenants paying top rent for the past 15 years. on average they stay 4 to 5 years. dont believe the naysayers and begrudgers in here, that's nice handy money if you can get it.
    yes there is more rules & regulations than ever before, but personally as a LL, i welcome most of them.

in any case good luck whatever you decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Maybe a good idea if the house is in a city,dublin, cork etc
    the house will go up in value,you can sell it when you are ready to retire.
    The risk is you might get a bad tenant,
    you might have to go to court to evict em,
    this takes months, meanwhile you get no rent at all .
    if you buy a house in leitrim its much cheaper than a house in dublin,price is based on location.
    even in a crisis rents in dublin will still be high ,
    i presume you have cash to buy ,
    There,s no point in borrowing 150k to buy a rental property.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

It's either completely fecking stupid or it's a calculated risk. Question is have you done your calculations? For example are there other ways you could invest money. If you're mortgaging to invest then make sure you maintain a decent contingency fund in case things go bad with the tenant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

storker wrote: »
    Take the same money and invest it in a property-based managed fund. Let some one else deal with the headaches.

Let someone make a profit with your money and give you a pittance more like!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

In the current regulatory regime- and with even more onerous legislation on the horizon- it would take balls of steel to contemplate becoming a landlord in the current climate. Many of the downsides have already been discussed in this thread- I don't feel any need to rehash them- however, you *need* to properly evaluate the sector in which you are proposing to operate. It is not like operating in any other business sector- as evidenced by the creative methods the RTB have been forced to use to hide the stampede to the door. Personally- I think you'd be completely and utterly insane to consider becoming a landlord in the current regulatory regime- however, each unto themselves- you could get lucky and it may work out nicely for you- however, you shouldn't have to rely on luck in order to succeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

Thanks for all your replies. Very useful. Okay so the property is A very large town down the south of the country. It’s 80k current offer with current rental income of 800 pm. Recently done up. Built circa 1995 ish. Appears to be in good order. Near 2 large areas of employment. Estate is ok’ish. I wouldn’t personally live there but a lot of working people seem to be residing there. Would that change what ye have suggested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

4ensic15 wrote: »
    Let someone make a profit with your money and give you a pittance more like!

some people seem to think you just buy an investment, and then just sit back and watch the money roll in.
    property investment, indeed any investment requires a certain amount of management. either you are prepared to do it yourself, or you will need to pay someone to do it for you.

if you do neither, don't be so surprised if/when things go pear-shaped.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭liam7831

adam88 wrote:
    Thanks for all your replies. Very useful. Okay so the property is A very large town down the south of the country. It’s 80k current offer with current rental income of 800 pm. Recently done up. Built circa 1995 ish. Appears to be in good order. Near 2 large areas of employment. Estate is ok’ish. I wouldn’t personally live there but a lot of working people seem to be residing there. Would that change what ye have suggested.

Sounds like a good investment,

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭soirish

Ask yourself if you're prepared to get 50% drop in rental income (400 euro). If the answer is yes then you can consider it.

• Advertisement

800 pm is a piddling rent, less than 10k per year. There are bedrooms in Dublin let out for more. By the sounds of this property there would seem to be little potential for capital appreciation. It is a low grade modern development. The calibre of tenant it would attract would not be high either.

Advertisement