Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Generator for house power

Options
  • 29-01-2019 9:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi all,

I recently purchased this generator for use in the event of weather related power cuts in my house (Cork area).

https://unionmart.co.uk/product/bohmer-ag-3000k-portable-generator/

I currently have a double socket in my shed, and also an outdoor socket on the back of the house. I was wondering what straight forward options are available to me if I get an electrician in to have the generator safely connected up to the house and to kick in, in the event of power loss?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

You'd need a generator changeover switch - eliminates any chances of power from the generator feeding back into the grid

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

gctest50 wrote: »
    You'd need a generator changeover switch - eliminates any chances of power from the generator feeding back into the grid

Or the grid feeding back into the generator, which would be even worse. There are auto changeover switches available which eliminate the possibility. An easy fit for a sparkie, fairly straightforward.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,999 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Would 2.7kW be enough to run a house and warrant the expense of a grid switch vs just running the critical items off an extension lead?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,433 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Del2005 wrote: »
    Would 2.7kW be enough to run a house and warrant the expense of a grid switch vs just running the critical items off an extension lead?

I wouldn't be running anything more sophisticated than a kettle off of that. I don't think it has a voltage regulator

Personally I think 5-6 kva is a minimum for running a house (no electric car charging or electric shower)

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭anotherfinemess

Back in the 80s I ran a backup generator. I just turned off the mains electricity switch when the generator was on and had no problems. Is this not still possible today? And if not, why not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Back in the 80s I ran a backup generator. I just turned off the mains electricity switch when the generator was on and had no problems. Is this not still possible today? And if not, why not?

You might forget to turn off the mains electricity - it can happen

People have been killed by power feeding back into the grid

• Registered Users Posts: 34 xtreme rebel

Or the grid feeding back into the generator, which would be even worse. There are auto changeover switches available which eliminate the possibility. An easy fit for a sparkie, fairly straightforward.

Is this a clean job, in that the switch could go outside or in my shed using the sockets currently present there?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Is this a clean job, in that the switch could go outside or in my shed using the sockets currently present there?

You can't just feed the power back a socket that gives you power, it will have to be wired in to the incoming power line with a change over as said above, get an electrician, electricity is not for messing with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

gctest50 wrote: »
    You might forget to turn off the mains electricity - it can happen

People have been killed by power feeding back into the grid

A changeover switch is certainly needed.

But purely as a matter of interest, realistically it would want to be feeding into a lone and disconnected pole transformer or section of LV line with little or no load for that to happen. It can happen alright though.

If actually feeding into a section of de-energised grid, or a housing estate, the generator would not generate anything, as it would be more or less like having a short circuit on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 xtreme rebel

You can't just feed the power back a socket that gives you power, it will have to be wired in to the incoming power line with a change over as said above, get an electrician, electricity is not for messing with.

So would there be much drilling, digging, chasing cables etc?

• Advertisement

So would there be much drilling, digging, chasing cables etc?

That really depends where you intend to keep your generator. All you have to do basically us run the appropriate cable in to where your breakers are you could have the changeover switch right beside the generator if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭keithdub

If you have a meter cabinet out side that would be the spot or they can drill out the back of the fuse board and have a 63amp socket there no matter what you will have to get a change over switch and a 63 amp socket where ever you want that. ( the shorter the cheaper)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I currently have a double socket in my shed, and also an outdoor socket on the back of the house. I was wondering what straight forward options are available to me if I get an electrician in to have the generator safely connected up to the house and to kick in, in the event of power loss?

You could get an electrician to install a manual generator change over switch. This could supply the entire board. Then you could switch off the circuits that you don't require as a small generator would not be able to supply much of a load.

No point in installing an expensive auto changeover switch when you have a manual starting generator such as the one you linked to. A manual change over switch would be far smaller and cheaper to buy and install. It would also be an idea to install a generator socket.

As suggested above a larger generator would be far better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭jhenno78

Del2005 wrote: »
    Would 2.7kW be enough to run a house... kettle

Just about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 JohnTravers

I wouldn't be running anything more sophisticated than a kettle off of that. I don't think it has a voltage regulator

Personally I think 5-6 kva is a minimum for running a house (no electric car charging or electric shower)

it seems to have a voltage regulator, does the waveform cause problems with these site generators

• Registered Users Posts: 7,433 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

it seems to have a voltage regulator, does the waveform cause problems with these site generators
    I'll correct myself, it appears it has an automatic voltage regulator, so presuming it's decent quality, it should be ok for electronics.

Site generators can produce noisy waveforms and can be prone to voltage spikes which can destroy anything more sophisticated than a heating element or electric motor. Hence the AVR.

I still think it's too small though for what you want. An electric kettle will max this out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭monseiur

Hi all,

I recently purchased this generator for use in the event of weather related power cuts in my house (Cork area).

https://unionmart.co.uk/product/bohmer-ag-3000k-portable-generator/

Thanks
    Not answering your query, but if I were you I wouldn't dream of going to the expense and trouble of fitting a genny. Think about it, how many days of power outages we had in the last say 20 years or even in the last 3 years ? To be fair to the ESB they provide a good service and the max. days in succession without power in any given year is 2, granted there my be a few exceptions. Most generators fitted for emergencies may go years without being used/started/serviced and when eventually the emergency comes they won't start!
    An oil lamp or gas lamp & stove and of course a supply of candles will get you over any short term power outage........there are people still alive today who remember life before electircity:)

monseiur wrote: »
    An oil lamp or gas lamp & stove and of course a supply of candles will get you over any short term power outage........there are people still alive today who remember life before electircity:)

Not much good if a water pump is needed for heating. I have two pumps, one for the oil central heating and one for the stove. Couldn't use either if I have no power. Waited five days in 2027 for reconnection after Ophelia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

I'm in my house only two and a half years. Been without power for 5 consecutive days in below freezing temperatures on one occasion and 2 days another time. As well as several half day and day outages.
    The generator came with the house and was wired in appropriately so the previous owner felt the same way I so about them.

Without the genny I have we'd have been stuck badly in a house with an ill one year old (the 5 day outage).

We did without lots of things in the past but we're not in the past and aren't set up the way they were. Electricity is part of modern living and our households revolve about it.

The only point I'd concede is the need to run them under load for a period every month and get them serviced on the button as per the manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Have a good think about how big a generator you need, on the one you've posted, you'd have to be fairly careful, about what gets switched on,
    Obviously not the kettle, immersion, oven or electric shower.
    If your water is off a well, have a look at how much power the pump uses when it kicks in, then add in your freezer/fridge and your heating system, and your lighting, Ect..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
Advertisement