Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

usa to canada and back by car

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Wanton

I did this in 2010 and no, back then there was no additional visa required. Crossed over near Buffalo to go to Niagara Falls, the left the American visa part in my passport and crossing back US officials glanced at the passport and let us back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Jewelers wrote: »
    And I take it there would be no hassle coming back into USA via car on esta.

No Hassle? Yes

Re-enter the US on the ESTA? No, you will re-enter using the 90 day travel permit that was stamped in your passport when you entered the US.

If your ESTA expired on the day you travelled to the US, you could stil visit Canada the next day or week and travel back to the US. Reason is that the 90 day travel permit the US gives you permits you to visit Canada, Mexico and the 'adjacent islands' (basically the Caribbean) and re-enter the US under that travel permit. The 90 day clock keeps running while you are in Canada but the US authorities will not consider it a new trip when you arrive back in the US.

So in the case of your trip, you only need the ESTA on the day you travel to the US, not to re-enter after a short trip to Canada. ESTA is not a visa, it simply permits you to present yourself at a point of entry. And it's only required when you arrive to the US by air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Jewelers

Great thanks for replies

Advertisement