Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New e-mail and password software

Options
  • 29-01-2019 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭

My e-mail address is one I got about twenty years ago when I had a landline. A few months back I got Office365. Before that I used MicroSoft Office 2003.

A good few of my e-mails are getting bounced when they go to gmail accounts. Perhaps I used a bad word or two. I would like simple e-mail software that does the basics well. E-mail volume is small.

Another think I do not have but would like is password software.
    Any recommendations for e-mail and password software (and the reasons).
    I am not looking for free software.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If you have Office 365, then you have Outlook, so I would use that.

For managing passwords, LastPass is about the best on the market.

Your emails aren't bouncing because you used bad language, they're bouncing because Gmail thinks they're spam. You need to configure Outlook to use the correct email servers for sending your mail.

If you tell us who provides your email and who provides your internet connection, we can give more assistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

seamus wrote: »
    If you tell us who provides your email and who provides your internet connection, we can give more assistance.
    Thanks for the advice on the password software.

E-mail is eircom.net (now eir). I am not a customer of eircom/eir. I was.
    Internet connection is Three Ireland (Huawei wifi)

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Gobethewall

Thanks for the advice on the password software.

E-mail is eircom.net (now eir). I am not a customer of eircom/eir. I was.
    Internet connection is Three Ireland (Huawei wifi)

I am, like you, using eircom.net address for a long time. It has become very difficult now to set up eircom to work properly with latest Windows email software
    I am using Thunderbird and it is working extremely well for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭7znbd9xmoiupye

You could try poppeeper. There is a paid version

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

My Dad also has an ancient @eircom.net account. He got a new computer and was pretty challenging to set up his account on Outlook on new PC as he had never used his password.

Big difficulty was the account was so old that there were no security assets attached to the account, what I mean by this was that you could not reset the password online as there was no mobile number attached or security question.

In the end, I was lucky talking to a decent Eir rep on the phone. After a long struggle, they verified the account by ringing the registered landline and then associated the mobile no. to the account to allow for password reset.

When you configure an eircom.net account in Outlook, you will need to input the server settings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Gobethewall

I did all that, input all settings etc. and was able to receive mail but not send. Drove me bonkers in the end and now find Thunderbird to be fine and no trouble connecting and free

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I did all that, input all settings etc. and was able to receive mail but not send. Drove me bonkers in the end and now find Thunderbird to be fine and no trouble connecting and free

Sounds like you didnt get the server settings quite right for the outgoing mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

I am, like you, using eircom.net address for a long time. It has become very difficult now to set up eircom to work properly with latest Windows email software
    I am using Thunderbird and it is working extremely well for me
    Thanks for the advice.
    I got Thunderbird and it is working well so far.

Advertisement