Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance for 9 seater

Options
  • 29-01-2019 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi,we are thinking of buying a Renault Trafic 1.6l 9 seater for private use.Anyone have experience of insuring a 9 seater?Also as it's classed as a minibus on car check would this affect the quotes?I thought this type of vehicle would be classed as M1 rather than M2 Minibus?Any info much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭db

Should be no different than insuring a car so long as it is for private use. I've been insuring 9/8 seaters for years no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Grace22

db wrote: »
    Should be no different than insuring a car so long as it is for private use. I've been insuring 9/8 seaters for years no problem.

Roughly €900 is quote I got for 171,is this the norm?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

If by 9 seater you mean vehicle designed to carry driver + 8 passengers then yes - it is treated as regular car under Irish law and has EU vehicle category M1 as any other car.
    Unfortunately I can only wish you a good luck in searching Irish insurer who will insure you on that for private use.
    I tried myself a while ago, made multiple phonecalls to multiple insurers and answer was always no.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Grace22

CiniO wrote: »
    If by 9 seater you mean vehicle designed to carry driver + 8 passengers then yes - it is treated as regular car under Irish law and has EU vehicle category M1 as any other car.
    Unfortunately I can only wish you a good luck in searching Irish insurer who will insure you on that for private use.
    I tried myself a while ago, made multiple phonecalls to multiple insurers and answer was always no.

Got a quote of €1,200 & something minus €300 & something from current insurance so roughly €900.Thought was a bit steep so wondering was it cos it's classed as Minibus on logbook

Advertisement