Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick Query

Options
  • 29-01-2019 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭

Had to get a few items done to the bike, is this the normal going rate for labor?
    Cable €3
    Pads €5
    BB €35
    Labor €60
    Total €103

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Had to get a few items done to the bike, is this the normal going rate for labor?
    Cable €3
    Pads €5
    BB €35
    Labor €60
    Total €103

I’d say that’s fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

meercat wrote: »
    I’d say that’s fair.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭ratracer

Prices for the parts seem fine, depending on what exactly needs to be done with the bike will and your location will probably determine the labour rate. Would expect in the region of €20-€30 per hour labour cost.

I paid €20 to get a wheel trued recently, it took about 10mins to do. I thought the cost was high, but I couldn’t do it myself, (about the only work I can’t do on my bikes) and in fairness, shops have rent, overheads and wages to pay.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

What type of bike and BB out of interest? Seems reasonable enough as some BBs can be a pain to replace, and not all bikes are equal when it comes to replacing parts. Replaced three BBs myself so far and each time I swore to myself I'd stop being a tight-arse and get the LBS to do it next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

It seems excessive. Replacing one cable and brake pads shouldn't take any more than 15 minutes and the BB not more than 30 minutes but you've been charged for 2-3hrs labour.

My LBS charged me €20 to replace all inner/outer cables, set up front/rear derailleurs, fit a new chain and put on new bar tape.

I left another bike into a different shop to change one gear cable, they charged €8 for the cable (inner and outer) and €12 labour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭letape

It seems excessive. Replacing one cable and brake pads shouldn't take any more than 15 minutes and the BB not more than 30 minutes but you've been charged for 2-3hrs labour.

My LBS charged me €20 to replace all inner/outer cables, set up front/rear derailleurs, fit a new chain and put on new bar tape.

I left another bike into a different shop to change one gear cable, they charged €8 for the cable (inner and outer) and €12 labour.

Yes it seems high to me too. I’d always ask first for an indication of cost or rate per hour, as it’s too late when the work has been done.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Giant TCR. Live in the Wicklow area. Had some nightmare dealings with three separate places. This particular shop always does great work in fairness. Just thought the labor was a tad high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

Unless your BB was an absolute bitch to remove and was stuck you have been overcharged imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Cable €3
    Pads €5
    BB €35
    Labor €60
    Total €103

Tbh they are all things that are easily done by yourself. ( well depends on the BB)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭C3PO

I would have thought that any shop would need to charge at least €30 per hour labour to cover mechanics wages, rent, light, heat + profit! So two hours for the work described? And I didn't include the VAT element either!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i dropped my bike into an LBS once to have the BB regreased, and a different bike into a different LBS to have the BB checked because it was creaking (that one needed tightening as it turns out, english threads and one side had worked a little loose).
    €15 for each visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭benneca1

i dropped my bike into an LBS once to have the BB regreased, and a different bike into a different LBS to have the BB checked because it was creaking (that one needed tightening as it turns out, english threads and one side had worked a little loose).
    €15 for each visit.

Not all bottom brackets are easy some a doddle others are much harder. If it was a though job cheap at twice the price I have had some nightmare bb removals

Advertisement