Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FaceTime "eavesdropping bug" discovered

Options
  • 29-01-2019 12:06pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭

This really deserves its own thread.

Apple has shutdown group FaceTime calls after a massive privacy bug was discovered that allows people to spy on other FaceTime users. Basically someone could force a FaceTime call with you without you accepting the call, giving them access to your computer/device's camera. Bug seems to have being introduced in iOS 12.2

https://www.macrumors.com/2019/01/28/facetime-spying-bug-demo/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

Just heard about this on RTE news. Nice to hear important topics like this on national radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Crazy, allways have a sticker over the front camera on my phone anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

For me these are just simple bugs that the media and Apple haters will hop on as a conspiracy by the evil Apple Corp.

In reality it's a simple error in a software update that can be fixed quickly and impacted very few people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

murpho999 wrote: »
    In reality it's a simple error in a software update that can be fixed quickly and impacted very few people.

I'd Agree, look at the interesting repro steps to cause it - I can see how they missed it.

1. Initiate a FaceTime call with someone.
    2. While the call is ringing, swipe up from the bottom of the display.
    3. Tap on the "Add Person" button.
    4. Add your own phone number when it asks for the number of the person to add.

Firstly, normal people don't do that and second, both ends of the call could hear one another. So it's not like you could spy undetected. It does Apple no favors on the privacy front though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

For me these are just simple bugs that the media and Apple haters will hop on as a conspiracy by the evil Apple Corp.

It's a serious bug - if it wasn't, apple would not have disabled group FaceTime. Nothing to do with Apple hating - security issues like this occur all the time - and they *should* be taken seriously. I haven't seen anyone suggest that this is anything other than incompetence from Apples side - nothing nefarious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

Easily exploitable issues are the most worrying, giving awareness about them (Apple or not) is important, the quick fix on Apple side is just another example of their response to things like this and can only paint them in a better light. Us Apple folks know, don't worry about the rest :)

It's a serious bug - if it wasn't, apple would not have disabled group FaceTime. Nothing to do with Apple hating - security issues like this occur all the time - and they *should* be taken seriously. I haven't seen anyone suggest that this is anything other than incompetence from Apples side - nothing nefarious.

I never said it wasn't serious, it needs to be fixed and it will be and hat will be the end of it.

Bugs are always going to happen but an issue like this will attract a lot of attention and it's Apple and I've seen loads of stuff on Twitter with people saying it's a feature not a bug etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

TomSweeney wrote: »

Why just the front camera? The rear one probably shows more of what someone else would want to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Ah come on. Its a huge security issue, Apple haters or not.

The ability to call someone and hear and see them without them answering?! FFS.

If only Apple were so rigorous about testing their own software as they are with others who they allow sell in the app store.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Reati wrote: »
    I'd Agree, look at the interesting repro steps to cause it - I can see how they missed it.

1. Initiate a FaceTime call with someone.
    2. While the call is ringing, swipe up from the bottom of the display.
    3. Tap on the "Add Person" button.
    4. Add your own phone number when it asks for the number of the person to add.

Firstly, normal people don't do that and second, both ends of the call could hear one another. So it's not like you could spy undetected. It does Apple no favors on the privacy front though!

Agreed, it is a fairly edge case scenario all right ..

• Advertisement

The Nal wrote: »
    Ah come on. Its a huge security issue, Apple haters or not.

The ability to call someone and hear and see them without them answering?! FFS.

If only Apple were so rigorous about testing their own software as they are with others who they allow sell in the app store.

I don't know what you're getting at.

I've said it again it's a big issue and Apple have acknowledged it too.

But look at the steps you have to do to get to it, swipe up etc.

It's just a bloody accident and will be fixed.

Also, you do realise the camera is not looking at you all the time.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Apple's software quality really has gone downhill in recent years.

Deserve to be slated for this one, it's embarrassingly bad.

awec wrote: »
    Apple's software quality really has gone downhill in recent years.

Deserve to be slated for this one, it's embarrassingly bad.

iOS 12 has probably been their best release in years.

I still think this is just a freakish bug but with maximum effect.

No need for the melodrama or to say the company is falling apart, wouldn't have happened under Steve Jobs etc.

TomSweeney wrote: »

Along with your tinfoil hat.

I always roll my eyes when I see people with their laptop web cams covered too, don’t get it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Along with your tinfoil hat.

I always roll my eyes when I see people with their laptop web cams covered too, don’t get it at all.

"They" can see you if you don't!

I go even further for security. I bought a high spec laptop before Christmas and threw it straight in the bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

Hope you ran a magnet over the hard drive. Just in case it turned on by mistake in transport.

Advertisement