Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creda Storage Heater advice

Options
  • 29-01-2019 1:09pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

Have had a Creda TSR12AW 79341S in our converted garage for must be 16 years now.
    We only use it over the colder months and it's been rock solid.

This season however, the heat seems to be the exact same regardless of what we set the "input" dial to and whilst it was grand up to now with the now cold snap that part of the house is now too cool for my liking.

I would estimate the current heat output is maybe 20-30% of what it's/was capable of.

I isolated it this morning and gave it a good cleaning thinking there may be a large build up of dust etc. but it was not that bad.
    The dial that controls heat output is not working and the flap was open full, this may explain some of the issue but I do remember you could not touch the thing if it was set to full heat "input" so I don't this is the solution.
    For the meantime I adjusted the flap to a lower opening manually and left it like that when I put the cover on.
    What looks like a temp stat was hanging loose at the bottom rear of the heater, I've never noticed it before given its position so I simply removed some built up dust and left it as is.

https://ibb.co/j6t1VjG

https://ibb.co/yqx1Rpv

I have no testing equipment so cannot test any part apart from a replacement route which I want to avoid obviously if possible.
    I'll search further afield if required but the following site came up on a first parts search...
    http://www.storageheater.co.uk/creda-1/79147c-79344/79341s-1.html

I've put all back together and electricity back now so I will see tomorrow if the dusting and flap adjustment has done anything but just wondering from the symptoms above if anyone has experienced this before and advice to share.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

So that adjustment of the release flap was not the answer, still outputting low enough heat.

Any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

One of the elements is probably gone.
    You’ll probably need to test to confirm although sometimes a visual inspection shows up a burst element.
    The storage heater may be colder on the side where element isn’t working correctly

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Meercat is most likely correct.

Depending on size there could be 2 or 3 elements inside.

One or two could be finished and this would explain the lower heat output.

Cheers lads, I'll disassemble tomorrow and see if there's visual evidence, felt it there now and seemed pretty even heat

So I took it apart this morning and the elements look fine, both were warmish to the touch (heater not on last night), no cracks or obviously signs of damage and they are not as dark as the photo suggests...

1e18vk.jpg

I had a closer look at the input dial (RHS below), is it electrical in nature because it looks like having zero mechanical effect on it's underpart (hard to describe but I think you get my meaning)....

2rnu7mu.jpg

• Advertisement

You would need to test elements when on to be sure.

Grand, I can leave disassembled and at 11 tonight they should get very hot within literally a few minutes I assume....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

If you disconnect them at the porcelain connector block and remove them,sometimes a close inspection shows the breakdown.
    You could bring them to an electrician/wholesalers and test them there.

Actually I can get a lend of a multimeter tonight and test myself....

So tested both elements and both hitting around 65-68 on the multimeter

• Advertisement

Is there any dust or dirt around any of the parts.

Clean it all out and check terminals aren't scorched.

Obviously isolate and be safe.

Advertisement