Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NQT & increments

Options
  • 29-01-2019 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi, I am currently on my 5th year of teaching in the middle east and plan on returning home at the end of my 6th year, 2019/20. I completed my PGCE in St. Mary's University, Belfast and was done all through the Irish Language. When I got my PGCE, I flew to Dubai that Summer. I never registered with the Teaching Council of Ireland, and I never completed my NQT year. I plan on doing so when I return home. However, because I've been teaching in a public school, I can fill my incremental form to claim the 6 years that I will have taught and should be able to move up the scale. So, instead of starting off at the bottom of the scale at 36000euro per year, the 6 years teaching should count and I should be on 44000 for the year. But I am unsure if not having my NQT year done will affect this? If anyone can assist me on this, it would be a great help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭williaint

Teaching Council won't register you until you have completed your induction in the country in which you trained. You may be able to get out of this if you do your induction in a British school overseas.

You cannot claim incremental credit until you are in a post in Ireland and registered (they ask for your registration number on the application form).

I, like you, thought I could get the ball rolling with the incremental credit but they won't entertain you until you're in a job in Ireland and registered.

I am still waiting to hear back...and it's now been 12 weeks since my former employer sent off all the forms!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ciaranmccaff

Thanks for the Info.

Regarding the NQT, i know a number of teachers that studied in St. Mary's in Belfast, (course is completed through the Irish Language) and did not have to complete their NQT in the UK. They were able to complete it in Ireland. Hopefully i can do the same. Or is this a new rule?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Regarding the NQT, i know a number of teachers that studied in St. Mary's in Belfast, (course is completed through the Irish Language) and did not have to complete their NQT in the UK. They were able to complete it in Ireland. Hopefully i can do the same. Or is this a new rule?

New rules since 2012. NQT year has to be completed before coming back.

Advertisement