Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wet Gear Advice

Options
  • 29-01-2019 2:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭

My cycles to work have become soggy affairs lately as I have no wet gear yet, something which needs to change fast.

I've had a look at wet gear and there seems to be a thousand options.

Can anybody suggest something to suit, it's only a 45min cycle each way.

I had wet gear many years ago but it was so non breathable I ended up wet inside the gear anyway!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Garments haven't changed much unfortunately. You can't have breathable and waterproof - it's essentially the same barrier technology :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

What do you wear currently? Cycling clothes (shorts/jersey etc) or normal clothes? I'd invest in a good rain jacket for starts there are tonnes of options out there and at all price points. I'm of the opinion that most wet gear trousers don't work, too sweaty and hot. I'd rather get wet and dry after. But shoe covers are another good investment if you have clipless shoes and pedals. Shoes are a pain to dry...

And 45mins is a fair cycle, worth investing in some decent gear I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Garments haven't changed much unfortunately. You can't have breathable and waterproof - it's essentially the same barrier technology :)

Yes You can ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

Currently simply wearing a pair of shorts and an underarmour long sleeve heavy t-shirt type thing, high vis vest over that, though I'm now wearing a leggings under the shorts because it's freezing!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Today I wore:

S/S Base layer
    Winter Bib tights
    Winter L/s Jacket
    Socks (summer)
    Winter Shoes
    Winter Overshoes
    Winter Gloves
    Neck Buff
    Cap

In short..i wore EVERYTHING because its baltic out there! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

Get a decent set of Mudguards. They make a huge difference on rainy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Invest in a Gore C7 rain jacket.
    Pricey but I was caught in the rain last Sat out came the Gore jacket and kept me dry for the 45 mins I was out in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Today I wore:

S/S Base layer
    Winter Bib tights
    Winter L/s Jacket
    Socks (summer)
    Winter Shoes
    Winter Overshoes
    Winter Gloves
    Neck Buff
    Cap

In short..i wore EVERYTHING because its baltic out there! :)

I left off the base layer this morning.

Boards Jersey
    Gabba 2 long sleeve
    Padded cycling shorts
    MTB over shorts (always wear these when commuting)
    Summer socks
    Overshoes
    Winter gloves
    And a skullcap and regular cap.

I was perfect in that. But it's a variable thing, and I swap in and out layers often.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭C3PO

I don't really bother trying to stay dry - staying warm is the priority for me - so I wear winter knee length bibs and layer up on top. Good overshoes and warm gloves are essential in my opinion. Having said that, I'm lucky to have showers and drying facilities at work!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

C3PO wrote: »
    I don't really bother trying to stay dry - staying warm is the priority for me - so I wear winter knee length bibs and layer up on top. Good overshoes and warm gloves are essential in my opinion. Having said that, I'm lucky to have showers and drying facilities at work!

both good points - I don't usually dress to stay dry either, and a part of that is because I can hang up my gear in a drying room in work and then put on dry gear again in the evening. my commute is also close to 45 mins but tbh I'd only get a handful of proper soakings per year and I cycle to work year round.

my gear this time of year is...
    spd shoes
    wind & waterproof socks
    winter tights
    MTB shorts over tights
    winter weight base layer (+ lighter layer underneath on really cold days)
    Castelli Perfetto long sleeve jersey
    skull cap
    winter gloves

when I started out I bought cheap versions of all of the above but as I've gone on I've invested in good quality gear and would recommend doing that once you've a good sense of what you want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Currently simply wearing a pair of shorts and an underarmour long sleeve heavy t-shirt type thing, high vis vest over that, though I'm now wearing a leggings under the shorts because it's freezing!

I'm the same minus the leggings, plus gloves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

I would second the Gore C7 jacket. I have the Gore Shakedry 1985 jacket. Same material. It's 100% waterproof, but pricey. I have been on the bike all day in the rain and have stayed dry. While all around me faded in to a soggy misery, I was comfortable all day.

I've added to this Sealskinz waterproof socks (knee high), Sealskinz waterproof bibshorts, Sealskinz waterproof leg warmers (I had to seal the seams of these with Fabsil spray) and Sealskinz gauntlet waterproof gloves. With the right base layers you will be warm and dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

Another vote for the C7 Shakedry. Picked up a stretch version a few weeks ago and its very quickly becoming an absolute favourite bit of kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

keep it minimal. its the clothes that get cold and wet when you're cycling. mudguards, a pair of speedos with hi-viz bands, an aero helmet and bars. get that 45 minute commute down to 42 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I left off the base layer this morning.

Boards Jersey
    Gabba 2 long sleeve
    Padded cycling shorts
    MTB over shorts (always wear these when commuting)
    Summer socks
    Overshoes
    Winter gloves
    And a skullcap and regular cap.

I was perfect in that. But it's a variable thing, and I swap in and out layers often.

Agree...the last few weeks its been cold on my morning commute and a lot warmer on the evening commute home. Getting the "balance" right can be difficult at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

Taxuser1 wrote: »
    keep it minimal. its the clothes that get cold and wet when you're cycling. mudguards, a pair of speedos with hi-viz bands, an aero helmet and bars. get that 45 minute commute down to 42 minutes.

vrW_TOFKqc3acJvvHa1ecYMLn7ZMJAYrHkqVNiehVmQ.jpg?auto=webp&77f23d29

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭jethrothe2nd

I've never really seen the point in buying expensive gear for commuting, and have been using cheap stuff which has been grand for my 35 minute commute.

Aldi Yellow waterproof Jacket
    Aldi Long sleeve soft shell jacket (on cold days)
    Cycling top
    Arm warmers
    Padded bib leggings (not Aldi, but cheap)
    Aldi Overshoes
    Hump backpack cover

That, along with having full mudguards on the bike keeps me warm, and largely dry. There are dryers in work though so on the rare occasion I do get soaked it's no issue.

Advertisement