Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pub To Watch Rugby

• 29-01-2019 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭

Hi.
    Staying wth the wife this Saturday in No 1 Pery Square hotel. It seems they are not showing the Ireland - England game in the hotel bar so wondering if anyone could recommend somewhere near the hotel to watch it?
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Souths,Quinlan Street, at the top of O'Connell Street. Just around the corner from Pery Square. Nice pint as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

Flannery's would be my bet - I think it's owned by Jerry Flannery (or his family)

Big rugby pub!!

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

As suggested by Reputable Rog, Souths is just around corner, its a lovely pub, with a mature crowd and great pints.

The Whitehouse on O' Connell street is another option, and only a 5min walk away.

I'd stay away from Jerry Flannerys (as mentioned by another poster), big crowds attracted for rugby games and a little uncomfortable unless thats the sort of thing you are after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

Flannery's would be my bet - I think it's owned by Jerry Flannery (or his family)

Big rugby pub!!

There are 5 Flannerys pubs in the city centre! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 pearse43

Patsys Nicholas’s on Gerald Griffin Street always has a good atmosphere for big games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

gaillimh wrote: »
    Hi.
    Staying wth the wife this Saturday in No 1 Pery Square hotel. It seems they are not showing the Ireland - England game in the hotel bar so wondering if anyone could recommend somewhere near the hotel to watch it?
    Cheers

Sexton's on Henry St or South's on Quinlan St (O'Connell Ave) are probably the closest to you and either should be a nice pub to go to.

I like Myles Breen's on Shannon St.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

Hi.
    Cheers

Austin's probably your best bet. Only around the corner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

South's is nearer to No1 Pery......in lots of ways :D.

....and please don't bother asking me "what do I mean by that ?"

Austin's probably your best bet. Only around the corner.

I'd say the wife would be well impressed with Austins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭gaillimh

I'd say the wife would be well impressed with Austins.
    She’ll be most likely in the hotel spa so not an issue :-)
    Thanks for the replies lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭moby2101

+1 for Souths,
    You’d need to be there at LEAST an hour before kickoff to get a seat.
    Great pub.

Thanks a mill for the suggestions lads.
    Are any of these places likely to show the Dubs v Galway afterwards on Eir Sport?
    I know not all pubs show the NFL games on Eir.

Are any of these places likely to show the Dubs v Galway afterwards on Eir Sport?

i'd say Souths or Sextons probably will. if you said it to the barman, they'd switch it on.

Otherwise, McGettigans on Lower Mallow street have multiple TV screens and show a number of different sports at the one time so i'd imagine they will be showing it.

The old bog ball is not a huge attraction in Limerick. The FA Proletarian League is likely to be on or La Liga is more likely to be shown.
    Its only rugby really or hurling to an extent which don't have to compete with the other game.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

The old bog ball is not a huge attraction in Limerick. The FA Proletarian League is likely to be on or La Liga is more likely to be shown.
    Its only rugby really or hurling to an extent which don't have to compete with the other game.

La Liga is no longer available on TV so that's not a worry and I doubt there are too many Cardiff or Bournemouth fans about Limerick, so the Premier League shouldn't be an issue either.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭tommy249

Limerick V Tipp hurling is live on RTE tv Saturday night so might be difficult to Galway football switched on the TV in place of Limerick hurling game!

tommy249 wrote: »
    Limerick V Tipp hurling is live on RTE tv Saturday night so might be difficult to Galway football switched on the TV in place of Limerick hurling game!
    Ah right no chance so. Didn't realise that was on at the same time.
    Thanks.

Ah right no chance so. Didn't realise that was on at the same time.
    Thanks.

Some of the larger pubs will be able to show it on different tvs if you ask. Snug in Flannery's on Catherine street has a tv in it if you nab it (iirc).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭limericklad87

I would have suggested Bobby Byrne's as well..... 5 years ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Anyway gaillimh. Did you get to watch the Match ? Apart from the result :( how did you get on ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

I would have suggested Bobby Byrne's as well..... 5 years ago

Why 5 years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Limerick91

I suppose because Bobbys is more a restaurant than a pub now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭moby2101

Limerick91 wrote: »
    I suppose because Bobbys is more a restaurant than a pub now

^^^^^^^
    This
    Bobby’s was my local 25 years ago( Jesus did I say that out loud, I’m getting old....) when SOPS was across the road.
    To anyone who wasn’t born in the 70/80’s SOPS was School of Professional Studies!!!
    It was part of the original Limerick RTC , LIT now. Limerick RTC was CoACT ... College of Art Commerce and Technology. The Commerce section was in SOPS basically.
    Back then Bobby’ s was a rocking pub. Loads of activity. As a previous poster alluded to , it’s lost all its appeal , it’s basically a restaurant serving pints on the side.
    Food is meh at the best of times. Not a good pub to watch a game .

The front bar in Bobby's is now dedicated drinks only area. No food served there which is a great thing. The Curraghgower have this as well. Wish more foodie pubs would do the same...

Advertisement