Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renewal quote vs online quote with the same details

Options
  • 29-01-2019 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭

I just got my car renewal quote in and it's €100 more than last year. I then just went to the website to do up a new quote and if I put in the same details they are quoting me over €200 less than as an existing customer. Is possible to let car insurance lapse for a day and join back as a new customer with this lower quote....obviously not drive the car during the time it's not insured? I didn't realise a new customer was getting such a discount.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

You don't need to let it lapse. I was in the same boat, online price much better than renewal letter price. Called them to ask about it. It just means they'll treat you as a new customer, so you'll need to send in any relevant paperwork (copy of license) again. You'll also need to send back the original renewal disc and that certificate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

JIdontknow wrote: »
    You don't need to let it lapse. I was in the same boat, online price much better than renewal letter price. Called them to ask about it. It just means they'll treat you as a new customer, so you'll need to send in any relevant paperwork (copy of license) again. You'll also need to send back the original renewal disc and that certificate.

Great, thanks for the reply!!

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

No problem at all. Might be worth letting them know you're not going with the initial renewal they sent you as they can sometimes automatically roll over. I did the online quote and got a call back about it a while later, the person was very helpful in fairness. They offered to set it up over the phone there and then if I wanted to, but as I had just filled in the details roughly for a price I went back over it myself.

Thanks, I will give them a ring. It would make more sense for them to match it and save themselves the admin costs!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

It would make more sense for them to match it and save themselves the admin costs!!!

They do it as they are banking on people not bothering to question the renewal figure and just paying up, it's the same every year!

• Advertisement

Very true maximoose

Advertisement