Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annoying co-worker

Options
  • 29-01-2019 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭

I work in an open plan office and a colleague on my team who sits near to me constantly clears her throat about every 5 seconds, all day long. Noises do generally bother me, such as loud eating/ chewing etc but normally I can get over it and move on.

My guess is that this is either a weird tick that she has or perhaps a long term illness, which would be quite sad.

I'm aware that this is more 'my issue' than anything else. The throat clearing doesn't seem to bother anyone else around me but it drives me insane. It's getting to the point that it's ruining my day in work. If she's not in for a day off or whatever, I'm so grateful. There are no seats far enough away to not hear her.

My question is: can I point this out to her without offending her? I was thinking I could ask if she's not well or why she clears her throat so often...

I'm worried about offending her and perhaps she might report my comments to our superior and this could land me in trouble. Any advice or should I just continue to try to get over it? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Just wear headphones.
    The bigger the office the more likely that there will be someone whose personal habits are disgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭NSAman

Stop focusing on it and it will disappear.

I'm sure she finds things annoying about you too.... none of us are perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Ask to move desk.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭oLoonatic

I have the same issue, guy infront of me holds his breath and exhales loudly every other minute. its driving me mad. If you have the options of earphones I would go with that.

Failing that you could calmly punch her in the throat.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭SmallgirlBigcity

Thanks for the quick replies! I wear headphones for most of the day but if I take them off for a break or get chatting to a co-worker, the throat clearing makes my skin crawl. I guess there is nothing I can do though other than try to get over myself and learn to live with it. As NSAman said, there's probably things I do that annoy her!

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Dakotabigone

Tell her to get some medical help. What is the beating about the bush for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭NSAman

Bloody OP has me clearing my throat in the office here... Jesus, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

I don't think saying anything would make any difference, it's obviously something out of the person's control. I would try and move desks, or get some good noise cancelling headphones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

My question is: can I point this out to her without offending her? I was thinking I could ask if she's not well or why she clears her throat so often...

I clear my throat all the time because of post nasal drip. I'm pretty aware of it as the repeated sensation isn't very comfortable, so I'm betting she is too. You pointing it out will probably embarass her.
    Considering the time of year, her issue may be worse due to the flu virus, cold temps and other things she can't control such as perfume, smoke etc.

This is not something that is going to go away just cos you have a quick chat with her. Either move desks or just deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

I would just move desk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

misophonia

It is misophonia! Great replies here, thanks. I appreciate the reply from Maldesu. Perhaps it is something out of her control. I'll stick with the headphones for now and try to be more empathic. Thanks everyone :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Once shared an office with a bunch of post docs and PhD students. One chain smoking Italian student would regularly cough and follow it up with with an annoying ‘aaahhh’. Every.five.****ing.minutes.

Twat sat right behind me.

It makes me feel better to hear other people's experiences of annoying noises. They drive me mental. This one in particular has reached a new level of annoyance. I've never heard anything as consistent or annoying in my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

It makes me feel better to hear other people's experiences of annoying noises. They drive me mental. This one in particular has reached a new level of annoyance. I've never heard anything as consistent or annoying in my life.

Come sit in my desk! I had to get headphones there a year or two back because the woman who sits opposite me NARATES every email she gets and she also narrates every step involved in opening up Word or Excel, all I hear when shes in (3 days a week) is her saying "ok...control alt delete ok enter password...ok...3 new emails...right so results are sent up to management...ok she wants a graph added ".

I genuinely thought she was nuts or having a joke when she first started. Turns out shes lovely but is a massive technophobe and is scared of things like Microsoft Office and needs a printed set of instructions when typing a document etc which she ALSO narrates. I couldn't move seats it wasn't an option so now the headphones make the outside world a blur! Definitely worth it as it isn't worth the hassle of bringing up something which might annoy you but is a source of anxiety to someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

i work with a variety of nationalities and one in particular seem to be unwilling to blow their nose so its constant sniffing. thank god i dont have to endure it longer than the occasional break.
    op if its an option id suggest headphones too.
    good luck:)

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭oLoonatic

Seems we need to start a support group for people with misophonia and really annoying colleagues!!

Advertisement